Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike for 10 year old boy

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I agree that the weight of the bike is something you really need to consider when buying a kid's bike (or any bike!). As an adult if you ride on a bike that most closely resembles a tank in terms of weight then it saps the fun out of cycling, as a kid I think it can make cycling nothing but a chore and potentially instil a negative view of cycling longer term.

Certainly in the case of my daughter, from the moment she sat on a bike the size of her smile directly related to the amount of effort required to get and keep the bike moving. She wasn't oblivious to the weight of the bike, it was actually one of the first things she noticed. All kids are different of course, but given the choice I'd recommend putting the weight of the bike as one of the main criteria to consider.

Lighter usually means more expensive, as is often the case with adult bikes. We chose to put the money towards Islabikes and FrogBikes for our daughter and we've never regretted that decision. She is 10 now and she both commutes to school by bike and takes part in weekly kids cycling (training) events and races. For her, cycling is both utilitarian (school commute, going to shops with parent, ...) and fun (races and especially beating boys! :) ), which is exactly what we hoped she'd see it as, and I'm certain that our choice of bikes for her played a part in that.

For info (and shameless plug!), for anyone for whom a second-hand bike is an option, I'm currently selling my daughter's Frog 62 bike ("for 8 to 10 year olds with a minimum inside leg of 62cm"): https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058038114

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Both Bike A and B are objectively terrible bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,959 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Hi guys,

so after santa arrived on xmas morning the young lad loves his new bike but i hate it. My father collected it as i was working up to the wire and i only noticed the weight of it on xmas eve. Id say if he keeps at it im going to upgrade the bike on his birthday in june.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,261 ✭✭✭✭ted1

dinneenp wrote: »
    Hi,

IGNORING that these are heavy bikes etc. which would suit best- Bike A
    Son will be 10 in April, is 140cm tall, inside leg 25"

Bike B might be ever so big atm but not for long. If it was't for Xmas could just try out bike sizes....

Bike A
    24 inch wheel size.
    14 inch frame size
    Inside leg 24-28 inches

Thanks,
    Patrick

Bike B
    20 inch frame size.
    26 inch wheel size.
    26 to 32 inch inside leg measurements.

Going off my 10 year old daughter I’d say you may need a 27 inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Went with bike A, he loves it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement