Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

International Men's Day 19th November

• 07-11-2019 10:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭

"On November 19 International Men’s Day celebrates worldwide the positive value men bring to the world, their families and communities. We highlight positive role models and raise awareness of men’s well-being."
    https://internationalmensday.com/

"International Men’s Day in the UK provides a fantastic opportunity for you to:
    • Highlight some serious issues affecting men and boys and their wellbeing
    • Make a difference to men and boys’ lives
    • Celebrate Britain’s men and boys in all their diversity
    • Have some serious fun"

"In the UK, the theme and focus remains on how we can make a difference to men and boys, and, how we can give men and boys better life chances by addressing some of the issues that affect Men and Boys such as:
    • The high male suicide rate
    • The challenges faced by boys and men at all stages of education including attainment
    • Men’s health (including male cancers), shorter life expectancy and workplace deaths
    • The challenges faced by the most marginalised men and boys in society (for instance, homeless men, boys in care and the high rate of male deaths in custody)
    • Male victims of violence, including sexual violence
    • The challenges faced by men as parents, particularly new fathers and separated fathers
    • Male victims and survivors of sexual abuse, rape, sexual exploitation, domestic abuse, forced marriage, honour-based crime, stalking and slavery
    • The negative portrayal of men, boys and fathers"
    https://ukmensday.org.uk/

How do you plan to mark IMD this year? Anyone can get involved by taking part in events or mentioning it to friends and helping shape attitudes towards the serious issues which men face.

Feel free to express your appreciation for the good men who have made a difference in your life and the lives of others.

My role models have included my Dad. He was loving and caring and had the ability to be hard nosed in business and still nurture young talent. He was never afraid of change and embraced modernity and always had time for a good chat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭buckwheat

What a load of steaming horse ****

Imo:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Do I have to grow a moustache?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Do I have to grow a moustache?

You can if you like. The Movember charity is there to raise awareness of men's health issues like prostate cancer, testicular cancer and men's suicide. So its a pretty good cause imo.

But no, you don't have to do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Robert_Beach

Movember was discontinued in our workplace last year after operating for numerous previous years. I thought it cringey but meh, always threw them a few quid.

But apparently it excluded people who, well can't grow a tash. So it's gone. We have a cake sale for a cancer charity for all now.

I don't think any International Mens Day stuff would fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I think it's a great initiative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I detest this nonsense - I detest this nonsense as much as I hate International Women's day.

This almost constant gender point scoring just serves to take away from the real issue of class division that we have in this and other countries.

"Look everyone we have a female CEO of a big company"

"But wouldn't she, as a well qualified and educated individual, have been well paid anyway? And also this does nothing to solve issues like wealth inequality and homelessness"

"Look everyone we have a female billionaire"

"But that just means another billionaire, we should be trying to reduce the concentration of such wealth in individual hands"

"But ...but.. it's a woman and not a man this time that is screwing you over"

"Well, when you put it like that - I dont mind stepping over the bodies of deceased homeless people this winter"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ridiculous.

When is International Women's Day ... rabblerabblerabble.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

More importantly - November 19th is World Toilet Day.

https://www.worldtoiletday.info/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I shall have not have hand, act or part in this bullfaggotry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

buckwheat wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about it, men tend not to be attention seekers anyhow and it will go unnoticed.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Ridiculous.

What's ridiculous about it?

Anything that helps highlights the shockingly high suicide rate in men and depression is to be applauded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

"On November 19 International Men’s Day celebrates worldwide the positive value men bring to the world, their families and communities. We highlight positive role models and raise awareness of men’s well-being."
    https://internationalmensday.com/

"International Men’s Day in the UK provides a fantastic opportunity for you to:
    • Highlight some serious issues affecting men and boys and their wellbeing
    • Make a difference to men and boys’ lives
    • Celebrate Britain’s men and boys in all their diversity
    • Have some serious fun"

"In the UK, the theme and focus remains on how we can make a difference to men and boys, and, how we can give men and boys better life chances by addressing some of the issues that affect Men and Boys such as:
    • The high male suicide rate
    • The challenges faced by boys and men at all stages of education including attainment
    • Men’s health (including male cancers), shorter life expectancy and workplace deaths
    • The challenges faced by the most marginalised men and boys in society (for instance, homeless men, boys in care and the high rate of male deaths in custody)
    • Male victims of violence, including sexual violence
    • The challenges faced by men as parents, particularly new fathers and separated fathers
    • Male victims and survivors of sexual abuse, rape, sexual exploitation, domestic abuse, forced marriage, honour-based crime, stalking and slavery
    • The negative portrayal of men, boys and fathers"
    https://ukmensday.org.uk/

How do you plan to mark IMD this year? Anyone can get involved by taking part in events or mentioning it to friends and helping shape attitudes towards the serious issues which men face.

Feel free to express your appreciation for the good men who have made a difference in your life and the lives of others.

My role models have included my Dad. He was loving and caring and had the ability to be hard nosed in business and still nurture young talent. He was never afraid of change and embraced modernity and always had time for a good chat.

Fair play.

Anything that throws some light on the increasingly tough time men are having in society. Some shocking statistics regarding male suicide and homelessness.

Other stuff like mens lack of parental rights and the disparity of health spending allocated to male gender specific ailments are blatantly unfair too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

buckwheat wrote: »

razorblunt wrote: »
    Ridiculous.

People don't ask that question - they ask when is international men's day.

But as this thread shows, it's clearly the women/feminists who are to blame for the poor coverage of men's issues. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Robert_Beach

Raconteuse wrote: »
    But as this thread shows, it's clearly the women/feminists who are to blame for the poor coverage of men's issues. :D

Does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Anything that highlights the high level of male suicide is a good thing.

Deaths on the roads are less than half the rate of suicide yet road deaths get more attention and focused prevention measures.
    149 died on the roads 2018 ( male/female)
    352 males died by suicide 2018.
    CSO figures.

Does it?
    Sarcasm. Usually men's issues get blamed on feminism or on women having it easier. Yet look at this thread with complete dismissal of international men's day.

What could be horse **** about highlighting these things for sons, husbands, fathers, brothers, partners, grandfathers, nephews, friends?

Apart from some ignorant comments earlier, I really don't see that.

EDIT; Sarcasm detector not working today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Every day is men's day according to her indoors

Sarcasm. Usually men's issues get blamed on feminism or on women having it easier. Yet look at this thread with complete dismissal of international men's day.

What could be horse **** about highlighting these things for sons, husbands, fathers, brothers, partners, grandfathers, nephews, friends?

It's horse**** because people are aware of these issues already. Having a designated "day" is unnecessary in my opinion and is just marketing.

I'm delighted that people will talk about the issues men face and the problems that are exclusive to men, but sadly, it will be talked about for one day and then it will be back to normal.

I think that you would LIKE to think that men are blaming feminism for men's issues but the vast majority of men do no such thing.

I myself have an issue with feminism in its current form but that is not the same as blaming it for mens problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

On International Women's day my boss and one of my colleagues bought the women in the office cakes to mark the occasion. It was lovely! So we're going to get some cakes in for them, and of course, eat them all together. It's nice to have a reason to all sit down together and check in on each other.

Otherwise I will be saying thanks to the good men in my life - my father, my husband and my son.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

I detest this nonsense - I detest this nonsense as much as I hate International Women's day.

This almost constant gender point scoring just serves to take away from the real issue of class division that we have in this and other countries.

"Look everyone we have a female CEO of a big company"

"But wouldn't she, as a well qualified and educated individual, have been well paid anyway? And also this does nothing to solve issues like wealth inequality and homelessness"

"Look everyone we have a female billionaire"

"But that just means another billionaire, we should be trying to reduce the concentration of such wealth in individual hands"

"But ...but.. it's a woman and not a man this time that is screwing you over"

"Well, when you put it like that - I dont mind stepping over the bodies of deceased homeless people this winter"

Genders are adversely affected by different issues, I see no problem with decreasing the margins in that respect- who would?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anything that highlights the high level of male suicide is a good thing.

Deaths on the roads are less than half the rate of suicide yet road deaths get more attention and focused prevention measures.
    149 died on the roads 2018 ( male/female)
    352 males died by suicide 2018.
    CSO figures.

You could double that figure and still not be at the true figure because a lot of suicides are not recorded as suicide at all and never make it into the CSO stats. 'Death by shotgun wound' and 'death by strangulation' is what coroners record them on death certificates as for fear of upsetting families with the more accurate 'suicide'. Same goes for many single car accidents ploughing straight into a wall at 3am, its recorded as a road traffic accident but the Gardai know it is a suicide when they dont see any skid marks on the road before the wall.

The stats not being recording properly means the official numbers are a lot lower than the unofficial ones. But it is the official CSO numbers that then informs government policy and funding.

It's horse**** because people are aware of these issues already. Having a designated "day" is unnecessary in my opinion and is just marketing.

I'm delighted that people will talk about the issues men face and the problems that are exclusive to men, but sadly, it will be talked about for one day and then it will be back to normal.

I think that you would LIKE to think that men are blaming feminism for men's issues but the vast majority of men do no such thing.

I myself have an issue with feminism in its current form but that is not the same as blaming it for mens problems.

Nah, it's nothing of the sort. What marketing gimmick is this day pushing?

It's a day to try and raise even more awareness for the issues I mentioned earlier and make it stick in the public consciousness.

And trust me, it's needed. The statistics are pretty shocking and has personally touched my own family.

Feminism, right or wrong and all that aul guff that goes along with that tired debate on both sides, has got nothing remotely to do with this.

It's not that I'd like it at all. The misogyny online depresses the sh1t out of me. Oh yeah I actually can't stand feminism today (and I'm not saying it's misogynist to have a problem with feminism) but I absolutely do see men blaming men's issues on women having it easier/deflected back in a hostile manner at women. Or blamed on feminism, which, odious as it may be today, is not to blame for men's issues. The marginalisation men feel is due to much older societal norms - the man as strong and invulnerable so he'll always be ok, etc.

But men themselves not taking men's issues seriously is part of the problem. It's men whom I mostly hear say "man up".

Now there are times feminism dishonestly claims to be about gender equality - it's not. It's about women's issues only, and I don't get why they don't just come out and say that. But that's no excuse for men not to try and address these issues themselves. They'll face allegations of women hating yes (just as the Suffragetes and women's lib movement faced allegations of man hating) but fuk It, keep fighting and try to keep a distance from the actual woman haters.

It's a day to try and raise even more awareness for the issues I mentioned earlier and make it stick in the public consciousness.

And trust me, it's needed. The statistics are pretty shocking and has personally touched my own family.

Feminism, right or wrong and all that aul guff that goes along with that tired debate on both sides, has got nothing remotely to do with this.

We will have to agree to disagree. Maybe I am being cynical. I hope I am

But I do agree that the statistics are terrible and I am sorry to hear that your family has been affected. Mine has too and it is never easy.

I agree feminism has nothing to do with any of this. I said so in my last post. There will be some usual names trying to insidiously imply that men blame women on their problems but that's on them. It's their hobby. (not you raconteuse btw)

We will have to agree to disagree. Maybe I am being cynical. I hope I am

But I do agree that the statistics are terrible and I am sorry to hear that your family has been affected. Mine has too and it is never easy.

I agree feminism has nothing to do with any of this. I said so in my last post. There are some usual names trying to insidiously imply that men blame women on their problems but that's on them. It's their hobby.

But nobody on this thread is doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Yes, I know. That's the joke. It's the first thing the "not all men" men shout on International Women's Day.
    What's ridiculous about it?

Anything that helps highlights the shockingly high suicide rate in men and depression is to be applauded.

As per my previous e-mail response.

But nobody on this thread is doing that.

I misread raconteuse. It was my bad. Plus I had multiple tabs open on similar topics. I'm going for a lie down. Never mind me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,921 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I completely agree. Information shapes attitudes and opinions and thats what build pressure on politicians to address the issues facing men. The more people who want to see men’s issues addressed the more likely politicians are to act.

In short, activism works. If you want change, do something as small as spread the word so these important issues are not forgotten about after IMD.

Advertisement