Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for breastcheck - how to not worry?

• 02-07-2013 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

My gp referred me to the breast clinic in The Mater Hospital.

Some nodules / lumps in each breast.

I thought maybe this thread might be a place for anybody else waiting or where you're worried but not at a critical stage that we could help each other?

Share tips for distractions, or even post your thoughts or concerns if you don't or can't share them with real life people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Susie564

My gp referred me to the breast clinic in The Mater Hospital.

Some nodules / lumps in each breast.

I thought maybe this thread might be a place for anybody else waiting or where you're worried but not at a critical stage that we could help each other?

Share tips for distractions, or even post your thoughts or concerns if you don't or can't share them with real life people.

Snap!

My GP referred me to James - just got my letter today - although my GP never told me he was referring me so I got a bit of a fright! I was in with him a few weeks ago and had a cyst drained. I'm a bit freaked out but trying desperately not to be :-)

It's hard to discuss with my family as my mam died in 2001 so it's very upsetting for everyone to think we may have to go through all that again at some stage.

Not sure what can be said to help the worry that is only natural, but best of luck and hope you don't have too long a wait (I'm in two weeks so that's not too bad a wait). Fingers crossed all :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Had some lumpiness last year, GP said best to go into James to have it checked.

Got sent an appointment time of 10am. Off I went and arrived at 9.20am. It was July and 21 degrees outside, the waiting room had radiators on and had dozens of women waiting in it. Hoping that an early arrival would facilitate an early departure I queued up, registered, and began my wait. I had a nasty cold at the time so I felt rubbish and was fairly sneezy and sniffly.

Anyway, no one told me where I was in the queue but I noticed that women who had come in after me were being called. It was horribly hot and uncomfortable and there were far too many people waiting in the room for the amount of chairs. There was a sign on the wall saying that all patients must be registered by 2pm or they would not be seen.

I was trying to be patient but after 3 hours I went and asked what was going on. I was assured that I would be seen soon. Another 40 minutes went. I simply felt too unwell to stay so I went to tell them that I couldnt stay any longer. At this point the nurse told me I was second last on the list because it was prioritised according to severity of problem and mine wasnt severe.

So it didnt matter that I had a 10am appointment that I had arrived 40 minutes early for, I was just bumped to the bottom and left there for the next 4 hours with no idea of where I was on the list, no food, unwell, probably infecting the whole room.

When I said I had to leave the nurse assured me I would be next. I was called next. The breast consultant was pretty cold and I assumed I was marked as trouble for making a fuss. Anyway she examined me, said there was nothing wrong and that because all patients got a free mammogram as part of the appointment I was to phone the number on the card she gave me and make another appointment to have it done. Then she shrugged and said "but you dont need it".

So I left and never made that appointment. All I can say is that I was worried beforehand but the breast consultant did put my mind at ease but that the experience of James hospital was horrendous. I was over 4 hours and actually weak and dizzy by the time I left from the lack of food and the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

Thanks OP for posting this. I found a lump about 2.5/3 years ago, was referred to the breast clinic in Beaumont, waited 3 weeks for appointment (longest wait in my life), anyway was told it was nothing to worry about then... Phew.

. However I have now since found another lump, and Im in a panic over it, nearly afraid to go to my GP, as I don't think I can handle the thought of the panic I had waiting last time? Sounds stupid I know... They didn't do a scan or anything last time, I can't remember why- I was just happy to be in the clear tbh.. I have to get to my GP but scared stiff :-(

m'lady wrote: »
    Thanks OP for posting this. I found a lump about 2.5/3 years ago, was referred to the breast clinic in Beaumont, waited 3 weeks for appointment (longest wait in my life), anyway was told it was nothing to worry about then... Phew.(

When you've been in once, I thought you would be called back for regular checks, no???
    m'lady wrote: »
    However I have now since found another lump, and Im in a panic over it, nearly afraid to go to my GP, as I don't think I can handle the thought of the panic I had waiting last time? Sounds stupid I know... They didn't do a scan or anything last time, I can't remember why- I was just happy to be in the clear tbh.. I have to get to my GP but scared stiff :-(
    You know you need to make that appointment - I know it's scary, I thought I might pass out from fright when I was waiting to see him last time!

Susie564 wrote: »
    When you've been in once, I thought you would be called back for regular checks, no???

No I definitely wasn't called back, would that be because I didn't get a mammogram? He just had a feel and said I was ok...

You know you need to make that appointment - I know it's scary, I thought I might pass out from fright when I was waiting to see him last time!

I know, your right, just putting it off out of fear.. But I'll call my GP tomorrow!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I was at breast clinic last month referred because of lumpiness with soreness. I'm too young for breast check so it was a referral from my gp. My appointment came within a week for a triple assessment. That means mammography, ultrasound and needle biopsy if needed. Everything was very efficiently run, I was in St Vincents and it took abt two hours. I didn't need the biopsy and I was told by the consultant everything wad clear on the day. I felt like jumping for joy but there were lots of other women there waiting anxiously and in those two hours you are all in the same state of fear so I knew my relief would'nt be felt by all.

Nothing will truly ease your anxiety Dec just to say many, many of these lumps are normal or just cysts few are anything more serious. Also I found the whole experience was handled so gently and professionaly by the hospital staff. Just try and keep it off your mind when you can and try not to worry. Hope all goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,779 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I've been attending St. James for the last 4 yr with lumps in my breasts. Like Pretzill, each time I go it's the triple assessment, but with mostly needle aspiration as I have Fibrocystic Breast Disease, which is basically multiple cysts in both breasts.

I know it can be an anxious time while you're waiting to be seen and waiting on results but I've found that the consultants are very quick to put your mind at ease and explain things in detail to you which makes the proccess a bit easier.

I have had core biopsy done also as I've one solid lump in one breast but it's a benign tumour,not harmful.

All I can say is try not worry too much, easier said than done I know, but best of luck, hope all's ok :)

Finally went to a GP today.. He felt the lump and said it was tissue on my rib cage.. So nothing to worry about- thankfully. Am posting this just to show anyone that finds a lump that it really can be something as simple as tissue. Hope everyone gets on ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Just thought Id mention that out of 6 ladies in late 30s (myself and close friends), 5 of us have at some stage or another suffered with a breast lump and gone to the doctor about it and in 2 cases have progressed right onto biopsy - and everyone has been given the all clear. Breasts get lumpy, its usually not something to worry about, but is always something that should be checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Good luck with it all, OP. I'm sure you'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Back in on the 23rd for another triple assessment, my sis in law comes with me, she will be a nervous wreck,always is :) We have a grim sense of humour and find it hilarious that I'm calm and fine and she panics :)

To anyone going to appoinments,best of luck and hope things turn out fine, they often do :)

So, I had my appointment this week and so far nothing to worry about. Just to give anyone who's interested an idea of what they might expect........I arrived shortly before my appointment time and wasn't waiting long before I was called to register - which consists of handing in your letter! Then waited to see the doctor. We had a brief chat about my symptoms and history, and then he examined me. He said all was normal, drew a circle on my boob where the cyst was and sent me for an ultrasound. Waited for a bit in xray - had the ultrasound. They found that I have quite a few cysts so the consultant radiologist wants to discuss my case at the weekly Tuesday meeting and probably bring me in for another scan in a few weeks but no sign of anything sinister. Back to the breast clinic to speak with the doc where he said basically the same. So I'm to expect a call Tues/Wed. I'm hoping they do bring me in again, just to be sure to be sure, and I have some questions I'd like to ask that I didn't think of as I was such a bag of nerves!

My sister came with me which was a big help, esp for the first visit. All in all we were there from about 10am-12.30 or so, and all the staff were really nice and helpful.

Best of luck to anyone else heading in - it's nerve wracking but has to be done!

Susie 564 , glad all went well for you :)

If you are called to go back to clinic, write down your questions and bring them with you, as I know it can be so easy to forget to ask when you're in with the doctor and caught up in everything! I have a head like a sieve and often come out thinking, damn I forgot to ask xyz !!

Just delighted for you really, I've lots of cysts,usually they aspirate them, roll on Tuesday, i'll update ye Tuesday night.

Stay safe everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Well I got my appointment and its very far off, so I think tomorrow ill ring the private clinics and see if I can be seen sooner privately.

I'm still very worried - I almost feel that I can't do other things until I get this sorted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I wish I had seen this a couple of weeks ago :o

I had an appointment in St. James' on 9th July to check out a small lump that I'd been to see the GP about. 10am appointment, I was eventually registered at 11.15am (after arriving at 9.50am) and seen at 12.30pm. I was expecting to wait after reading the booklet they sent to me and brought a book. As someone else already said, once in withthe consultant they sit you down, go through the forms you have filled in, take your family history, ask about the lump, if you have any soreness etc, then he did a physical examination. He discovered a different lump that he wanted checked but told me it was more than likely nothing to worry about. I was to receive an appointment within a week for a mammogram & ultrasound.

Got a voicemail the next day, appointment for the Friday morning (after being there on Tuesday) for mammogram and ultrasound. Everything was clear on them but the few days in between were quite worrying. I insisted on going by myself and I'm glad I did, I'd rather handle my own nerves than have to manage someone else's as well :) (but that's just me, I know lots of people bring someone for support and that is ok too).

I found the staff all to be lovely from start to finish I have to say. From GP visit to appointment time I think it was 4-5 weeks which wasn't ideal but I was impressed by how quickly I was back for the mammogram and ultrasound.

By the way; I found the mammogram uncomfortable but manageably so and I'm a D cup (not sure if the size makes a difference really). The machine basically squeezes the breast quite tightly in order to flatten it out as much as possible to take an image, twice on each breast unless the pic is unclear and you have to go again.

Miamee, glad everything went well for you :)

Had my appointment this morning. Checked in, called by doctor, he went through my history of cysts and fibroadenoma, examined me and was happy enough to say he doesn't think anything has changed, but they'll send out a new appointment to get another mammogram done in a wk or two. He said they'll compare that to the last one I had done and see what happens from there.

In and out in less than an hour, agree with Miamee, always find everyone there to be lovely and very helpful too. The mammogram?? Don't know if it's just cos I have very small breasts that I find it very awkward :)

Best of luck to everyone still waiting on appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭doriansmith

I found a lump on Saturday and went straight to the doctor, completely freaking out as the lump is very big. Doctor said it's probably a benign tumour and referred me for breastcheck. It's happening very quickly - have an appointment for this Thursday for a consultation, ultrasound and possibly a biopsy. Trying not to worry but that fear is still there in the back of my mind that it's cancer.

I had a lump a few years ago that turned out to be harmless but it was very small so I wasn't all that worried that time. This time is a different story as it's so big & also last time it was months before I got the ultrasound whereas now they're seeing me straight away which has me scared that it's seen as urgent.

Thursday can't come quick enough!

Good luck on Thursday.

December 2012,
    did you have any luck trying to get a private appointment? I know I had a 4-5 wk wait for mine,not private,so can understand how you feel.

dorain smith,

It can seem scary and worrying when you are having everything happening on the one day, but at least when you walk out of the hospital you'll know exactly what's what. To be honest, I prefer when everythings done the one day, you're not coming home waiting to go back for mammogram,ultrasound, trying not to worry. Try not stress yourself out too much, take it easy on yourself, best of luck tomorrow, hope everything goes well for you.

Thank you :)

You're right that it's better to get all of the tests done on the one day, at least I'll be getting it all over with at once. I won't be having a mammogram as they said I'm too young for one but everything else will happen tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for good news for everyone here soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I found the screening system very efficient and the results were very fast - thankfully my results were fine but I was told that I was right to get my symptoms checked out.

Had good news today at my appointment, turned out to be a cyst :)

Had a consultation and examination first. The consultant had the same opinion as my GP - that it was most likely a tumour that was probably benign & said that I'd need an ultrasound & biopsy. As it was so big (at least 5cm x 4cm) she said I'd need surgery to remove it even if it was benign.

I then waited about an hour for the ultrasound as there was a delay due to a backlog. I was nervous as hell, it felt like forever. Was really scared at the prospect of needing surgery & of what the biopsy might find.

Anyway, had the ultrasound and straight away the doctor saw it was actually a large cyst. Such a massive relief. He drained it there and then. There was a bit of 'debris' in it which they've sent for testing but he said it wasn't anything to lose any sleep over. Will get the results in a couple of weeks.

Everyone in there was lovely & I'm so relieved it's over & done with, such a massive weight off my mind. Myself & my husband tried to stay positive but in the back of our minds we were both terrified. Finding such a large lump was an awful shock.

Best of luck to everyone else who's waiting for appointments :)

Had a biopsy a few days ago and I'm exhausted!

Is this normal?

Did anybody have one and how did you feel after?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Pretty Polly

Is this normal?

Yeah my mum felt a bit tired the day after hers.

She found the staff in Breastcheck in St Vincents hospital very helpful. The waiting room itself is quite relaxing.
    She's due in for surgery in Vincents later this week. She's had more tests done in the past 3 weeks, between the triple assessment, ecg, bloods, mammograms!! They caught it early though so fingers crossed.

Is this normal?

I was exhausted also a couple of year ago when I had the first biopsy done! I just put it down to being so mentally drained after waiting to get tests etc done, that it was just relief at getting sorted, that's my opinion on how I felt anyway :) Not much help, sorry!

Heading in for an MRI 16th Sept - they say there's nothing to worry about and they're just being sure that there's nothing there that's not showing up on the ultrasound. Anyone else had a breast MRI done?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hey girls, I had a breast check last year in Beaumont clinic. It was my second one in five years cause I have lumpy boobs!

Anyhow in comes this really nice and hot doctor. So I talk when I am nervous. A lot. Asked him a lot if questions about the lumps, how long he was working in the clinic. Which was 8 months and how many women he had diagnosed within that time.
    To my surprise he had only diagnosed one lady.

He said its not a case of every lump is cancer. But it is very important to get them checked out. I had an ultrasound as mammogram isn't suitable for younger ladies to confirm I was ok and was let go home. Reassured again.

He told me that if I wasn't happy with the boobs or had any changes to go back to my doctor.

Women's breasts change and lumps are common. But they should not be ignored. So get them checked but don't be nervous as diagnosis is rarer than what I would have assumed.

Hi all, hope everyone's doing ok :-) Back on Thursday to get mammogram done, will let ye know how things go!

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Hi all, hope everyone's doing ok :-) Back on Thursday to get mammogram done, will let ye know how things go!

Best of luck!

I had my MRI on Thurs last week - not the most pleasant experience of my life but glad it's over with! I've to call in two weeks for results.

• Advertisement

Susie564 wrote: »
    Best of luck!

I had my MRI on Thurs last week - not the most pleasant experience of my life but glad it's over with! I've to call in two weeks for results.

Best of luck with your results also, try not stress too much while you're waiting on results :) appointment is this afternoon, squished boobs time :D I don't mind though

Advertisement