Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Run away USA!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Originally posted by Nagilum

We seek dominance over no one. We tend to be more isolationist in terms of political beliefs about interventionism but seek open, free trade with all. Fascist? Hardly.

Please learn more about it before you insult it, ok?

Libertarian Party Link
    http://www.self-gov.org/quiz.html

Opinions on foreign aid are sharply divided in the party- however, I haven't heard a single party member condemn foreign aid to the Afghani people, or allowing foreign aid workers access to those who need their help. The party is doing its best to act as the voice of reason regarding any response:

http://www.lp.org/press/archive.php?function=view&record=533

I would also humbly suggest that the 580,000 Afghanis who only have enough food for another week or so might just disagree with you in terms of how much aid they need. The starvation of innocents is something we want to prevent- not just because we're a happy civil liberties party...but because it would generate sympathy for any action we might take in Afghanistan. Knowing that the US are a nation opposing foreign aid to Afghanistan will put enormous pressure on any coalition to sunder, and even more ordinary people will be driven to strap explosives to themselves, and kamikaze jets into buildings- comfortable in their own minds that they are avenging the death of half a million Afghani lives that could have been saved at minimal cost. Not only that, but the anger at the thought that just a tenth of the annual 3 billion in aid we give Israel, would save over a million lives with enough food, medicine and blankets to get those people through the harsh and uncompromising central Asian winter.

In the words of the secretary of the Liberal Democrat party in the UK (the Libretarian's closest political analogue anywhere):

"We need air-strikes, but those that drop food and medicine, not bombs...we need strong action on the ground- but with aid and counseling, not rifles...and we need diplomacy and cooperation-not war and isolation."

I think that sums it up really...we'd have a far better chance of preventing terrorist attacks if we focused on the job that actually has a better chance of success than a manhunt over the Peshvanga ranges. A job that would guarantee sympathy for the US, and would do more than any airstrike against Al-Quaeda to ensure that terrorists will no longer have the hatred in their hearts to strike with.

Occy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Nagilum

Originally posted by Smedley

Bob -- I'm not prone to harp on your post in general -- some parts I liked, some I liked, but disagreed with,....but I honestly don't think all the groceries and band-aids in the world will put a dent in the fanatic hatred of the conterted terrorist.

The average muslim, yes. Osama bi Laden and company --- no

Have to agree with Smedly on that one. You aren't going to change someone's heart who's willing to fly a plane full of people into a building full of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I mentioned it in another post before.

You remove the cause of the terrorism, you remove the reason for people to become terrorists.

Internment in England for example where innocent people were locked up without any rights helped the IRA a lot more then it hurt it.

Nowdays the rights of people in Northern Ireland are much better then they were 30 years ago, and the IRA has no where near the support it used to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Originally posted by Smedley
    I tried to post this on another thread, but the great and might Castor has a habit of shutting down threads. For some reason this clown finds it PERFECTLY acceptable for people with his beliefs to flame, but shuts down the competition ASAP.

Castor deleted flames from both sides, including some of his long-time friends on boards. His reluctance to moderate situations which I would jump in at an instant, deserves and gets my utmost respect. I stand by his decision to delete your posts if they are abusive and personal, though your last few posts before this one certainly bucked the trend, to your credit. But your posting of one-sided criticism in your last reply smacks of the one-sidedness you've shown in all your arguments, which I believe is what he and several others object to- including myself.

If CT is abusing his mod power, this would be the first I've heard of it. I direct your attention to the stickynote gandalf has posted in this forum- abiding by that shouldn't be difficult now, should it? If it proves to be, consider yourself 12-clicked...I don't think you can say any fairer than that. I'm sure CT and others intend to contact DeVore, I might myself, and I suggest you do too. This isn't the place for such discussion, even the Admin forum should be spared this tripe. I don't think this kind of backbiting gets us anywhere- I'm sorry to see that you do.

Occy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Erm, Smed you best go through all the threads and delete the spam crap before you wake Castor or Devore up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Smedley I will not edited the multiple post here as there are replies but I think you have gone too far. While I applaud you for the content and apparent sentiment of your post, posting it multiple times etc just shows you have no repect for others using this board.

Gandalf.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement