Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

5 acre of land - best use?

Options
  • 15-06-2020 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello,

I've recently inherited a patch of c.5 acres of land in the country side in the south west.

The land has not been used for many years and is all over grown with tress and bushes. I don't have a farming background so am unfamiliar with what people normally do in these circumstances.

I would like to clean up the land and look to make use of it, either by renting to a farmer or other avenues. Is leasing land to farmers worthwhile (for the farmer and I?)

The land will not be used be any development purposes.

Any thoughts on how to best utilise the land or am i foolish to invest money cleaning up?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Plenty of projects going on between agriculture and reforestation on this forum.

I've 4.5 acres. I've rented out 3.5 to a local farmer for grass. It's s clean site though. The rest is, my house, garden and orchard. Again no farming background but this forum is a, great place to learn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Quickest way is in with a digger to clean up for a reseed. That is expensive upfront though.

Cheaper but long run would be to patch up the fencing and let for rough grazing. You’d be surprised how well animals could clean it up. Depending on ground type maybe winter paddock for a small group of animals for example. When they are finished it’d easier to see what you have.

Some outdoor pigs be an idea too btw and would do a super job.

All depends really how much time you’d be able to put into yourself or money.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

49801 wrote: »
    Quickest way is in with a digger to clean up for a reseed. That is expensive upfront though.

Cheaper but long run would be to patch up the fencing and let for rough grazing. You’d be surprised how well animals could clean it up. Depending on ground type maybe winter paddock for a small group of animals for example. When they are finished it’d easier to see what you have.

Some outdoor pigs be an idea too btw and would do a super job.

All depends really how much time you’d be able to put into yourself or money.

I agree - if you have time and want to avoid costs getting animals in there would eat down and clear a place, unless it's completely overgrown.
    Have you decided what you're doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

lanod2407 wrote: »
    I agree - if you have time and want to avoid costs getting animals in there would eat down and clear a place, unless it's completely overgrown.
    Have you decided what you're doing?

His, other option is to get friendly with the locals and see if they'd be interested in putting animals on it for a few months at no cost.

I did that my first year. I'm now renting the land for hay. They have the cost of fertilizer etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Hello,

I've recently inherited a patch of c.5 acres of land in the country side in the south west.

The land has not been used for many years and is all over grown with tress and bushes. I don't have a farming background so am unfamiliar with what people normally do in these circumstances.

I would like to clean up the land and look to make use of it, either by renting to a farmer or other avenues. Is leasing land to farmers worthwhile (for the farmer and I?)

The land will not be used be any development purposes.

Any thoughts on how to best utilise the land or am i foolish to invest money cleaning up?

Many thanks

This is going to sound radical but have you thought of leaving it to nature. You dont have to invest much if anything. Stick a cabin on it, could be somewhere to go to get away from it all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement