Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Six TD's and senators forced to refund illegitimate expense claims

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Aaaaaaand we're off again.

Still say it was a mistake to shut the previous long running thread, as this story is absolutely going nowhere, with it making headlines this evening, just underneath brexit.

Fine Gael heave against 'swing-gate' TD Maria Bailey begins as no confidence vote tabled in constituency

If she's dumped, she's taking others with her, she as much as said so herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Still say it was a mistake to shut the previous long running thread, as this story is absolutely going nowhere, with it making headlines this evening, just underneath brexit.

Fine Gael heave against 'swing-gate' TD Maria Bailey begins as no confidence vote tabled in constituency

Glad to hear that she will be ousted. Hopefully she'll be off the ticket and we won't need to to think about her come election time in spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Ah Jonny you can’t keep a good blue woman down, sure she knows how to play the game and as she stated she plays fair,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Oh dear, the heave is on for Maria and she is now fighting for her political life. A pandoras box of blueshirt secrets could soon be opened if she gets dumped from 'her' seat.

I liked this bit a lot
    Ms Bailey’s case continues to be a lightning rod for negative publicity for Fine Gael and party TDs continue to distance themselves from their colleague.

READ MORE: 'Humanity has been crossed' - swing fall TD Maria Bailey attempts to defend compensation claim live on air

Just this week, Culture Minister Josepha Madigan removed a photo featuring Ms Bailey from her social media.

Ms Madigan, the newest member of the Cabinet, has been dragged into controversy over her role in the infamous swing fall compensation case.

The internal party report found Ms Madigan, then a backbench TD, "gave initial legal advice, guidance and assisted Deputy Bailey with her Personal Injuries Assessment Board applicatio

I'd say its squeaky bum time for Irelands first female priest Mother Madigan because no doubt Bailey will soon be playing offside if she gets the heave-ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Maria Bailey is the gift that keeps giving for FF.

• Advertisement

Glad to hear that she will be ousted. Hopefully she'll be off the ticket and we won't need to to think about her come election time in spring.

The road to Damascus is it?

I've a feeling we will indeed be hearing about her come election time. Make no mistake about that p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

The cynic me would think they were sneaking this in under cover of Brexit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

The Indo seems to really hate FG, compared to a few years ago. This would have been a non story and the whole swing gate fiasco would have been dropped after a couple of days. The reaction from some senior people in FG leads me to believe what else has the Indo got and how much harm could it do in a GE. Remember Maria Bailey was even being brought up on the doorsteps in Sligo during the locals according to a FG candidate ( thankfully he didn't get in, arrogant *******).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Aaaah paddy, even when she is history, then there is Farrell, Madigan & now mulhearn to keep the ball rolling.

Nonsense.

A clean break from this rubbish is just what the party need.

I think you'll find I predicted long ago that Bailey wouldn't be standing in DLRD next election. So no surprise for me there.

FG are riding a wave of good PR after Leo's sterling work on securing a deal this week. That's why they're the biggest party in this country still.

• Advertisement

Nonsense.

I think you'll find I predicted long ago that Bailey wouldn't be standing in DLRD next election. So no surprise for me there.

FG are riding a wave of good PR after Leo's sterling work on securing a deal this week. That's why they're the biggest party in this country still.

You predicted the Bailey saga would be forgotten by the Summer recess. October now and she's still making the news for all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

You must be proud therefore to see a homeless child sitting on a Dublin street eating food.

Nonsense.

Ahem.

Early prediction.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110769016&postcount=6897
    Timing works out not too bad. Presume the report will be relatively bland. Won't be earth shattering. Will recommend that elected members disclose any planned proceedings to party HQ in advance.

Report will be released mid July. Just before the summer recess. It'll all be long long forgotten about come September when brexit is back on the news.

On the report itself.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110656979&postcount=6105
    Looks like the report vindicates her from any wrong doing. I'd say the famous five detectives and their wild conspiracy theories are raging.

Post report:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110532024&postcount=5117
    A firm but fair reprimand by the Taoiseach. Hopefully other members of the oireachtas learn from this. Time for deputy Bailey to move forward and put this unfortunate time of her life behind her.

Now Paddy wants her gone.

Paddy seems like the kind of chap who'd stab you between the shoulder blades, and then scurry off and fetch you the first aid kit.

Road to Damascus and no mistake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I missed the vote of confidence story but she is on the news again this morning. Leo must be kicking himself for not having the balls to deal with it months ago.

Am I right in thinking some people in her party do not think it was a completely bona fides insurance claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Ahem.

Early prediction.

On the report itself.

Post report:

Paddy seems like the kind of chap who'd stab you between the shoulder blades, and then scurry off and fetch you the first aid kit.

Sure,isn't he a blue shirt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

I think it's likely that Bailey and Farrell were targeted by their own party with this audit.

Either had a 10% chance of being audited, both being picked is pretty slim. The only doubt is whether Lowry and Ferris got a heads up to have their house in order from some FG backchannel to make the two FG ghouls of them look eve worse.

Internal politics can be more vicious than anything external.

About 10 years ago Tom Hayes was the sitting South Tipp TD. Derry Foley was a sitting councillor in Clonmel area, but with a high profile from GAA he was being touted as a general election candidate. Small issue with a local election before general and low and behold there was two new FG candidates living within few miles of Foley on FG ticket. Bye Bye Derry. Probably run of the mill stuff if you watch this stuff a lot

Ahem.

Early prediction.

On the report itself.

Post report:

Less of the personal remarks John boy! I hope you're not trying to get this thread shut down like last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

SOR (Sean,Sean) just asked Coveney about the DLR/Bailey situation.

Coveney was all '...she has suffered enough for her mistake....hard working... blah, blah'.

Sean,Sean said '...it is widely believed that you intervened to stop her losing the whip...' and no denial from Coveney to that statement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

Coveney was all '...she has suffered enough for her mistake....hard working... blah, blah'.

Sean,Sean said '...it is widely believed that you intervened to stop her losing the whip...' and no denial from Coveney to that statement.

Coveney must be really annoyed to be defending her yet again in October!

Less of the personal remarks John boy! I hope you're not trying to get this thread shut down like last time.

There's nothing personal in my observations, you made several statements backing your one to the hilt, , despite a wet day ago insisting the report leo buried exonerated her from any wrongdoings at all.

Now you're all over the thoughts of her being axed.

It was like your earlier condemnations of white van men, breakfast rolls etc on the dash, and whatnot, you questioned their intellectual capabilities and so on, then in the next breath drop the ground breaking news that you run a business as a builder suppliers.

They're your posts mo chara, no one else's and the discrepancies in them couldn't be made up.

Pointing out discrepancies in your characters posts Paddy, that's all, though I'm sure you're a real nice fella in real life.

• Advertisement

Too little too late.

I won’t be voting FG as their management of their own members is sh1te.

I’m also not impressed that the government is going full hard on re brexit. The amount of government dept ads currently should have been aired this time last year when brexit was meant to happen Feb 2019. Why didn’t we hear as much then as we have now?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,497 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

They're your posts mo chara, no one else's and the discrepancies in them couldn't be made up.

tenor.gif?itemid=5541443

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

lol, thats only the ones caught out when audited. Im sure there is more that were not audited..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

The big story is Brexit. ‘Beaker’ Sheehan writing another hungover rant in the Indo about Bailey or social media might appeal to the ‘seen and done’ merchants who crave tabloid fodder, but it has little impact on the electorate.

That’s why the last opinion poll should FG support unchanged, and satisfaction with Leo and the Government up sharply. That might be tough bread for some lads to chew. Always looking for an outrage or scandal where none exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

He almost had me feeling sorry for her :). Shes suffered enough !. How exactly ?.
    She's still on the ticket !. Yada yada yada. When a politician supports you it's time to watch your back.
    Shes toast,and she has nobody to blame except herself and the person who advised her.

The big story is Brexit. ‘Beaker’ Sheehan writing another hungover rant in the Indo about Bailey or social media might appeal to the ‘seen and done’ merchants who crave tabloid fodder, but it has little impact on the electorate.

That’s why the last opinion poll should FG support unchanged, and satisfaction with Leo and the Government up sharply. That might be tough bread for some lads to chew. Always looking for an outrage or scandal where none exists.

The party make a move to oust her (despite their report exonerating her) and the media report on it shocker.:eek:

Oh, and it aint just the Indo, it's all over various media sources this morning.

If you see her, tell K.T Tunstall I said hi btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Simon talking sh*te:
    Tanáiste Simon Coveney has defended Fine Gael TD Maria Bailey saying she has "paid the price for making a mistake" and she continues to pay that price.

He said a detailed internal investigation was carried out and the results of that led to the Taoiseach taking disciplinary action.

"I think that when disciplinary action is being taken and consequences faced up to, there is some point surely for a person to move on," said Mr Coveney.https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2019/1018/1084234-bailey-fine-gael/

Apart from people rightly calling her out what price has been paid, what consequences? The whole issue is exacerbated by the in-action from Leo and the best people. The issue is character. Brought to the fore once more by the expenses claims.

Going by Simon's logic if she runs and wins that's her vindicated. Wrong Sio. Even if she disappears from political life the stain on the FG party will remain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The dreaded vote of confidence

Varadkar says he has confidence in Maria Bailey as a candidate in the next general election

A motion of no confidence has been tabled against the Dun Laoghaire TD.

"TAOISEACH LEO VARADKAR has said he has confidence in TD Maria Bailey as a general election candidate.

Speaking in Brussels today, he said Bailey is someone who made “some very significant errors of judgement, but she has been reprimanded for that, she has been demoted. I demoted her and removed her as the chair of the [Oireachtas] Housing Committee”.

Funny Leo a lot of people wouldn't see what you did as a proper reprimand

Listened to Leo, he offered full backing to Bailey. However he said FG is a democratic party. She's toast. Channelling his inner Pontus Pilate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Likely trying to draw a line under it. It's funny how either arrogant or naive these people are. Likely a helping of both.

Advertisement