Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extinction Rebellion Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Kolten Witty Splendor

Why not campaign for research into the 'holy grail' of energy i.e. cold nuclear fusion, instead?
    A clean and limitless energy source, compared to carbon.

Think it's China that holds the current record for containing (not easy) reactor plasma (100seconds),
    France is planning the world's largest site in Provence, but the 1st experiment is not expected until 2025.

Also, future population control will directly assist in extinction prevention,
    they could campaign for a educational leaflet or condom airdrop over Africa & the Middle East
    where many countries are seeing natural 2-4% population growth, per annum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

RHJ wrote: »
    Whether you like it or not, people that live in towns and cities have on average a lower carbon footprint than those who live in the countryside (only a small percentage of those living in rural locations are farmers all work in the industry).

The type of trees. I would like to see planted are traditional native trees that wouldn't be harvested an opportunity I could see the sum living in some living in rural Ireland would be maintaining public pathways and tracks through the newly planted forests. Others could set up their own tourism businesses such as campsites. I also like the idea one of the ideas from Andrew Yang, who is currently running for president in the US, he suggests paying people to move from rural locations into towns and cities. His focus is more on jobs, though another idea that I like would be to give a universal income whose land has new forestry planted on it.

We cant keep piling people into cites. We already have a housing crisis. If we replace farms with trees we increase importing food from abroad, higher carbon footprint.

I dont disagree that rural people have a higher carbon footprint than urban. Thats bad planning.

Clusters in towns with electric rail links would be the way to go of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 80,798 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Why do these climate change wafflers always believe there is time to fix things? If there was no time to fix things they would have zero soapbox to perform on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Nebulous, leaderless and aimless groups like this and the Occupy Movement are destined to fade away after the initial 'shares and likes'.
    I'd like if this could come to something but it'll be the usual minority professional protester class with noserings and knitted beards.

• its awful strange that there is an existential crisis facing every generation.

almost as if it suits some people's mentalities to have a cause celebre to lecture everyone else about and grab some attention for themselves

ive no problem with addressing inefficient energy, consumption, waste etc and am fine with higher taxes to do so.

but a gang of self appointed morally superior wretches blocking the town as a form of public footstamping tantrum is hole-sickening display.

and the youth of the country are as distractable, shallow and clueless as the youth has always been. theres zero reason to take direction from them on this or any other matter. theyll get a vote in their own time and are free to make their own lifestyle changes in the meantime, sams as anybody else.

humbug!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One of the leaders of "Extinction Rebellion" will be giving a public talk at the Science Gallery next week - details here.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Deacon Scarce Cap

Why do these climate change wafflers always believe there is time to fix things? If there was no time to fix things they would have zero soapbox to perform on.

What's to fix?
    The Antarctic glaciers are melting. There are volcanoes under the Antarctic.

How do you stop an active volcano from melting the glaciers above it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Odhinn wrote: »
    ...they are peaceful protests...annoying ones if you get caught in the traffic but peaceful nonetheless.

Peaceful or a non peaceful protest still cause the same problems for everyone else bar the Gardai and the Gardai still have to have a riot squad on standby regardless. Arresting one non violent person requires the same resources if not more than a violent protester, as most violent protesters will walk when arrested, so non violence is a massive problem for policing.

So this is disrupting people's lives for something which isn't going to be changed by blocking roads. The only way to get change is at the ballot box but most of the parties advocating change won't enter government so they are useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

Unfortunately Africa & Asia have to right to enjoy the luxuries afforded to the west and that's the future source of extra emissions

we have done some things by recycling, lower emissions appliance and transportation extra carbon taxes on top of already high taxation will push more back to poverty
    however there's a good argument for us to go nuclear

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

jasper100 wrote: »
    Won't work. A farm support a family, and families support rural communities.

Planting trees on farms mean the land is planted by outside contractors and ignored for 20 years, bar the odd pruning by outside contractors. Farming families are on the land every day spending money locally and supporting the community.

How about they level all the housing estates and plant trees there instead?

Eventually the sun will burn out and the human race will be extinct. Human induced global warming merely shortens the road to extinction. May as well enjoy it while we can.

A good place to start would be if Coillte stopped planted sitka spruce and began planting native trees.
    Sitka is an absolute environmental disaster. Bog land was ploughed to plant them which released carbon, the trees themselves leave the soil useless for growing anything else afterwards, the clear felling (using heavy machinery) causes acidic sediment to drain into lakes and rivers.
    Bio-diversity is out the window.

Then there is Coillte's overuse of pesticides - if the bees continue to die at current rates we are all extinct.

It's short sighted thinking with making a fast profit the only concern and damn the consequences to the environment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭ Kolten Witty Splendor

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    A good place to start would be if Coillte stopped planted sitka spruce and began planting native trees.

Agree, the lowest broadleaf coverage % for any European country (other than some tiny island states).

Even the uk (with x10 the population) has a huge array of parklands, forests and green spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,229 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

I'll only support it if they start gluing themselves to things.

The irony of using a product derived from animal carcasses to make a point about the environment by people who most likely champion animal right as well.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Let them have a petting session with the ngarda dog unit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

Any plans to make this an overnight session like in London?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Sitka is an absolute environmental disaster. Bog land was ploughed to plant them which released carbon, the trees themselves leave the soil useless for growing anything else afterwards, the clear felling (using heavy machinery) causes acidic sediment to drain into lakes and rivers.
    Bio-diversity is out the window.

Then there is Coillte's overuse of pesticides - if the bees continue to die at current rates we are all extinct.

It's short sighted thinking with making a fast profit the only concern and damn the consequences to the environment.

What was the rationale behind planting them? I used to wonder why bogland has so many.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Won't work. A farm support a family, and families support rural communities.

Planting trees on farms mean the land is planted by outside contractors and ignored for 20 years, bar the odd pruning by outside contractors. Farming families are on the land every day spending money locally and supporting the community.

How about they level all the housing estates and plant trees there instead?

Eventually the sun will burn out and the human race will be extinct. Human induced global warming merely shortens the road to extinction. May as well enjoy it while we can.

Ok Mr farmer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,812 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What was the rationale behind planting them? I used to wonder why bogland has so many.

The land wasn't suitable for growing anything else, the trees grow fast so are a fast harvest.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

As a nation we don't appreciate parklands, gardens and tastefully planned out green area's.

Its all about the money which can be made and brown envelopes, red tape and who gets the biggest pat on the back.

Its not hard to create a parkland and maintain it.

I admire how over in the Uk they really appreciate nature their parks and arboretums.

There was a time when Ireland had vast amounts of old estate's with sprawling woodlands and meadows without the imposing walls and ditches you'll see today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Archeron

Your Face wrote: »
    Look it, if protesting didn't work for the dinosaurs, it's not going to work for us.

It failed because the T-rexs couldn't hold the placards high enough

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Irexit wrote: »
    Even Prof Ray Bates from Met Eireann said there is no proof that man made climate change is real.

This is a total non issue to be protesting about.

Username checks out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭RHJ

Fair play to everyone that turned up today from the pictures I have seen on Facebook it looks like a decent turnout hopefully the protests will continue until the government implements some decent changes to protect the environment.

Global warming is pure nonsense.

As I said earlier. There are active volcanoes under the glaciers.
    How can we stop them melting the ice?

Global warming is pure nonsense.

As I said earlier. There are active volcanoes under the glaciers.
    How can we stop them melting the ice?

What active volcanos? Because it is the first time I have heard of them i’m calling bull**** on your claim unless you can provide a reputable source.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭SeanW

I was there today at O'Connell Street/Bridge (most assuredly NOT as a protester, rather an observer).

So committed were they to supporting a low-carbon lifestyle that they blocked the Luas. Plonkers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

It took over 200,000 years of human history for the world's population to reach 1 billion;[2] and only 200 years more to reach 7 billion

Says it all really. We are great for culling seals, deer, foxes, rats badgers etc. etc., but the dirtiest shower of rodents of all are humans and we are completely out of control destroying everything in our path and there is no stopping us.

Ehm... are you in favour of wars, undeveloped medical practises, improper sanitation and poorly kept food?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Fair play to everyone that turned up today from the pictures I have seen on Facebook it looks like a decent turnout hopefully the protests will continue until the government implements some decent changes to protect the environment.

Damn near everything we consume is imported. So the government will have little effect on that. And most of the crap labelled recyclable, cant be recycled here.

You clearly didn’t read to the end of the article in the Independent did you?

To save you time here or two quotes from the article.

“I don’t think people should look at volcanoes underneath west Antarctica as a serious concern for causing instability,” he said.”

“If you have got thinning ice cover over a volcanic region there is every reason to suggest it will increase the volcanism,” he said.

As the pressure exerted on the mantle by the glacier decreases and allows more heat to escape, this could cause a feedback loop in which the melt rate continues to increase.”

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Waffle. Nothing like a bunch of placard wavers virtue signaling about someone else 'protecting the environment' ...
    Climate strikers of the world, I am therefore sorry to say so, but you have little to expect from your governments. You can keep on striking and marching in the streets for as long as you want, that won’t bring you what you hope for.

This does not mean, however, that you cannot influence the course of history in a way that may, if not avert or reverse but at least contain the climate chaos you’re going to have to face. You can. And you probably should.

Here is how: in addition to your “climate strike”, or as a substitute to it if or when you get frustrated of being denied the kind of change you want, embark with all the strength and enthusiasm of your youth on an “energy diet”. A big, fat, relentless and endless energy diet. Not only on Fridays, but every single day of the week, 365 days per year, for the rest of your life.

https://paularbair.wordpress.com/2019/03/21/a-modest-suggestion-for-the-worlds-climate-strikers/

• Advertisement

And to my post above the volcanoes didn’t just appear overnight they have been there for millions of years as far as we can tell and haven’t caused a problem despite what you may believe the vast majority of scientists say that human induced climate change is real.

Advertisement