Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

iphone or HTC desire??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

im sorry but this was said by a different person that actualy owns an iPhone...i just repeated it...in fact its thruth ive seen many old people use it cause they struggle using a normal phone...kids buy it cause its easy to use and the big app fuzz...middle age men buy it to try looking cool...its all been discussed and studies have confirmed it :) so sorry if it sounds bitter but it has been discussed and proved :)

Angel so i was confused at XDA first time too...but once you watch a video and do it step by step instructions you realize how easy it is...btw 02 doesn't provide you rom updates...their on HTC site since winmo doesn't support auto phone updates

you install one time app that hacks your phone quickly to allow non official roms to be installed.

then you download a rom...run the Ruu app and keep pressing next...screen goes off...turns into a percentage mark 0 - 100% ROM loads and your done :) its really simple

and android or even the hated Windows-Mobile doesn't need constant fiddling...phone updates are included in nearly all phones now one way or another...there's no way of escaping them at this day and age...were all always looking for a way to improve ourselves and life's and without updates and fiddling nothing will ever get better

Thing is if you buy the phone, you are locked to the network so you have to sit waiting for the updates from the network provider and it isn't easy to put a rom on to the average non tech person.

I bought a phone from O2 and they lock the phone so I couldn't install O2 UK ROM because it was blocked (and only recently they allow you to install that ROM so yes it was locked to updates from HTC)

People are wary of doing this (believe me I was and only done it once!) and afraid of what will happen to the phone and I would be wary of putting another one on.

Thing is not everyone will be as technically minded as you may be. We all want something different from a phone.

I am interested in these studies, have they interviewed everyone who has bought an iphone and found out their reasons for doing so? - no, didn't think so. Sorry most of that part of your post was a little laughable and untrue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres no need for phones to be complicated. Hence the iPhone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

BostonB wrote: »
    Theres no need for phones to be complicated. Hence the iPhone.

The desire is just as easy to use, just with more features.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

angel01 wrote: »
    Thing is if you buy the phone, you are locked to the network so you have to sit waiting for the updates from the network provider and it isn't easy to put a rom on to the average non tech person.

I bought a phone from O2 and they lock the phone so I couldn't install O2 UK ROM because it was blocked (and only recently they allow you to install that ROM so yes it was locked to updates from HTC)

People are wary of doing this (believe me I was and only done it once!) and afraid of what will happen to the phone and I would be wary of putting another one on.

Thing is not everyone will be as technically minded as you may be. We all want something different from a phone.

I am interested in these studies, have they interviewed everyone who has bought an iphone and found out their reasons for doing so? - no, didn't think so. Sorry most of that part of your post was a little laughable and untrue.

angel the Official rom from HTC website is a no brainer...you download it...run it with your phone connected through USB to your pc and it does everything...i have an o2 marked phone too and i did that before getting it hacked...

all you need to know is your serial number to enter it on the website which is written on the back of the phone box

HTC/Samsungs/SonyEricssons or w/e Phones aren't complicated to use either...

ive been trying to point out that iPhone/Android/WindowsMobile UI isnt different hence why i dont see where does everyone see the easiness in iOS...

bare with me and ill prove it to you

I was barred from using the O2 UK Rom, see this thread:

http://community.o2online.ie/t5/HTC/HTC-HD2-Rom-update/td-p/103504

Originally the serial numbers were blocked from updating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Didn't I tell you it would happen? :) I hope you made up your mind before it all got fanboy. The first page was probably your most useful page as you got proper information from both camps.

Did you get your phone yet? If so what did you go for and how do you find it?

I am not a fangirl, I don't even have an iphone!

SO HOME SCREENS

androidhome.pngiphonehomea.jpgwindowsmobilehome.pngsamsunghome.jpg

And Settings Menu

androidsettings.pngwindowsmobilesettings.png18-iphone-settings.jpg

http://www.top-iphone-apps.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/18-iphone-settings.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sorry i do not own the iPhone or Samsung so couldn't get decent quality pics...i know iphone settings menu has similiar layout..on samsungs its probably same as android cant remember now

but as you see they all work in the same principle...apps/screens/shortcuts and some in widgets...

so tell me where does everyone see the difficulty

I personally meant the difficulty of putting ROM's etc on the phone and customising it with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

angel01 wrote: »
    I personally meant the difficulty of putting ROM's etc on the phone and customising it with things.
    Pretty easy nowadays. Both the Desire and Galaxy S need you to do just connect your phone via USB and run a single app. Absolutely painless.

Then you just download ROM manager from the market and away you go.

And even besides that, Android is already far more customisable straight out of the box. You can change your lock screen, your app drawer, your dialer app, your sms app, your gallery app, your music player, your video player and so much more with just a single click in the market. Rooting and flashing ROMs gets you the more complex mods like running a full Linux distro on your phone and whatever else takes your fancy ;)

• Advertisement

shes talking about windows mobile on her HD2 ;)

but updating to the newest build is easy without needed to hack the phone as i said...you enter your serial number in HTC website...download the one file...connect the phone to the pc...click on that downloaded file and keep pressing next ;)

shes talking about windows mobile on her HD2 ;)

but updating to the newest build is easy without needed to hack the phone as i said...you enter your serial number in HTC website...download the one file...connect the phone to the pc...click on that downloaded file and keep pressing next ;)

I repeat O2 originally blocked you downloading the O2 UK Rom.. I feel like I am on repeat. I was not able to do this.

i don't know...when i bought mine i went on the htc website and entered my serial number and i got it...ofc i haven't tried that in centuries since im not on the stock rom anymore ;) but i had no idea how to do it back then nor i had any clue what was wm like to live with only a few review videos from youtube...

i could get a link for ya if u want...as i said its one click update then just press next next next and done :)

i don't know...when i bought mine i went on the htc website and entered my serial number and i got it...ofc i haven't tried that in centuries since im not on the stock rom anymore ;) but i had no idea how to do it back then nor i had any clue what was wm like to live with only a few review videos from youtube...

i could get a link for ya if u want...as i said its one click update then just press next next next and done :)

When I get my SD card sorted, I will go back to the O2 UK rom :)

you shouldn't lol :) its probably gonna be just damn ****ing slow ****e...since your bf already hacked your phone you should just go find a half decent fast rom...stock roms never live up to the phones real potential.

Advertisement