Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to knit?

• 17-07-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭

Ok; my story!

Nearly 70 years ago at infant school, when teachers were very strict, we were taught the art..

The teacher cast on some stitches on small wooden needles, then sent me to my place to work them.. THEY WERE SO TIGHTLY CAST ON I could not get the second needle in and sat there terrified lest she find out...

Moving forward, the first thing we made was a doll's scarf.. I will remember all my life the deep humiliation of being sent to every classroom in Infants and Juniors with my holey effort..

it put me off knitting.. In those days all our jerseys etc were hand knitted and there was only wool. But no way would I go near that again.......

THEN! Suddenly in my late teens! No idea why but suddenly I started knitting,.Not plain things but Aran sweaters.. Must have been a trigger but it evades me... and from then on I was a "knitter". totally addicted. I have always earned from it as well as knitting for the babies of all my friends....,
    When I lived in the North Isles, worked for the Aran export industry, then, here , at street markets and craft fairs, funding for the babies my faith family save.

Such a joy for me and when I cannot sleep or am worried, it helps. seeing a ball of yarn become a hat, gloves....

and all from a scared child!

Do try ? it is worth the effort.. and any other tales and.... yarns....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Thanks for that, I was mostly homeschooled until secondary school & as my grandmother was let’s say, a free spirit :) she taught me how to knit, crochet & weave.

I took to crochet more so than knitting but now it’s the opposite.

I didn’t really participate in sports and hated anything team related, so I was put into ballet. All through my years until late 20’s I always made my own wraps and warmers. We lived in France for a long time & had access to other fibres than wool. Never have taken to acrylic though, just can’t stand it.

Now though, I mostly use as much Irish wool, dyed or spun as I can but it’s not always possible and it’s really nice to get a luxury blend every now & then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

em_cat wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I was mostly homeschooled until secondary school & as my grandmother was let’s say, a free spirit :) she taught me how to knit, crochet & weave.

I took to crochet more so than knitting but now it’s the opposite.

I didn’t really participate in sports and hated anything team related, so I was put into ballet. All through my years until late 20’s I always made my own wraps and warmers. We lived in France for a long time & had access to other fibres than wool. Never have taken to acrylic though, just can’t stand it.

Now though, I mostly use as much Irish wool, dyed or spun as I can but it’s not always possible and it’s really nice to get a luxury blend every now & then.

I was still dancing in my 30s; RAD Advanced! Was chosen to pilot scheme for Ballet at GCE O level and took the exam the first time it was ever set with my puplis.. .

Allergic to wool so acrylic and cotton; but I never knit for me now as no need. Lovely shop in Dublin, Springwools, have sent me great boxes of oddments fo eyears and so many fine yarns

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

I also learned to knit on school - but more recently took up crochet - self taught through you tube videos - I love it

Sinus pain wrote: »
    I also learned to knit on school - but more recently took up crochet - self taught through you tube videos - I love it

Crochet s lovely. just was the aran that caught me.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My daughter-in-law and I set up a knit and natter group. The idea was for people to come along and we would teach them the basics of knitting and crochet, and as people learned they passed on their knowledge to other newcomers. Very informal, no charge and great chat. If there is not a group in your area - then start one, its not as alarming as it might seem. I am no more than a basically competent knitter and crocheter - I can teach beginners but I have rarely finished an item and its dil who does the complicated stuff. We were in several places but I have moved house now so only go occasionally, the others still meet in the local library.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    My daughter-in-law and I set up a knit and natter group. The idea was for people to come along and we would teach them the basics of knitting and crochet, and as people learned they passed on their knowledge to other newcomers. Very informal, no charge and great chat. If there is not a group in your area - then start one, its not as alarming as it might seem. I am no more than a basically competent knitter and crocheter - I can teach beginners but I have rarely finished an item and its dil who does the complicated stuff. We were in several places but I have moved house now so only go occasionally, the others still meet in the local library.

what they call " stitch and bitch " in the US.. great idea ... are you in Clonakilty?was at one there in the library until I moved..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No, this was in Waterford. There are groups all over the place, we had combined meetings with a few other groups the odd time, lovely to meet really nice people. If you keep it free, or nearly free, and relaxed, you will get nice friendly groups. If people want organised classes learning complicated stuff they will pay for and go to them.

Keep it upbeat - stay away from politics and religion and distract people from getting into in-depth local discussions/gossip - 'you know, her brother married that young wan from Market street, her mother was a bit odd, well I heard she ...' it cuts out people who are new to the area or who don't want to get into personal gossip - and you never know who is in the group! And cut off the odd moaning minnie at the pass!

Anyway there is plenty to talk about with yarn and stitches and patterns and admiring anything that has been made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

'Knit & Natter' is much nicer than 'Stitch & Bitch'. My mother taught me to crochet and knit though she didn't really knit or crochet at all. She preferred sewing and was a dressmaker but never taught me to sew! Isn't that so very Irish!! :D

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    'Knit & Natter' is much nicer than 'Stitch & Bitch'. My mother taught me to crochet and knit though she didn't really knit or crochet at all. She preferred sewing and was a dressmaker but never taught me to sew! Isn't that so very Irish!! :D

agree and glad it has been changed.. first time I have heard the new version :)

Advertisement