Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

12-11-2003, 09:04   #16
AL][EN

I'd be deff interested in this for next summer however im unsure about funds for this event,

put me down for a maybe i'll know by feb2004 what the story is and will i have cash left over to go as im saving for my rescue diver course atm.
Advertisement
12-11-2003, 10:44   #17
Mick L

Sure, why not. Probably not the blue hole on this trip. Wouldn't mind doing the Thistlegorm again
13-11-2003, 10:36   #18
daveg

Send a message via Yahoo to daveg
Boy would I love to do this. Depends on the cash situation tbh. With a family holiday scheduled to be booked for April (flordia) it would be unlikely... but at least I'll get to do some reef diving in the Florida keys again.

Do you have any idea of prices Peace? Do you book a package?

-- Edit - To answer my own question on prices --

http://www.emperordivers.com/liveaboards_schedule.php

Example - Date: 09/05 to 16/05 - Boat - Emp.Theresa - Price €568 -
Price includes:
Shared cabin, diving (min 3 dives/day, last day 2 dives), guide, tanks, weights, fullboard, all softdrinks, tax, local transfers, 6 nights on board, last night on board or hotel, 6 days of diving.

NOT included:
alcohol, diving equipment, flight, visa, Nitrox (FRASER, PEGASUS, FLASH QUEEN, EMPRESS THERESA, GOLDEN ONE).

Last edited by daveg; 13-11-2003 at 10:51.
13-11-2003, 10:46   #19
vibe666

Send a message via ICQ to vibe666 Send a message via MSN to vibe666 Send a message via Skype™ to vibe666
sorry if I'm being niavé, but aren't there a few problems over in that part of the world at the moment?

I know it's supposed to be some of the best diving in the world (and that sounds great, but what about the isreal/palestine thing? I know it's gonna be on a boat well away from all that, but everyone would still have to get to and from the airport.

maybe I'm overreacting because I'm ignorant about a lot of what is going on over there, but I dunno, it sounds like there could be problems.

would be cool though.
13-11-2003, 10:59   #20
Mick L

Well the airport is in Sharm El Sheikh and I guess it was about an hour at most to get to the marina. Could have been less, really can't remember. Anyway, it's not really near Israel/Iraq/Afghanistan. Most of the Sinai pennisula and all of Saudi Arabia is between it and the 'war zones'. I wouldn't worry about that at all.
Advertisement
13-11-2003, 11:23   #21
daveg

The more I think about this the more interested I'm getting. Peace bearing in mind I'll be heading off to the US in April would late August be too late for the trip? Any idea what month next summer you might go? Also would a budget of €1,000 be realistic for flights/liveaboard. How much esxtra would gear be? Do you leave the boat at any stage or is it out on the sea for 7 days?
13-11-2003, 12:47   #22
Peace

Dave,

Quote:
ould late August be too late for the trip?
August/Early Sept was when i was thinking about anyway so no biggy there. It was the same time as we went previously and believe me its plenty hot over there.

Quote:
Also would a budget of €1,000 be realistic for flights/liveaboard.
The budget is hard to pin down from the last time we were there. Back then myself and mick were just starting out really and we had lots of equipment purchases to make and training to get done etc etc. If i were to guess i'd so with about 1200-1400 max. I think a reasonable price for a livaboard would be about 800uk per person. So whatever that is exchanged (E1150). that includes flight + transfers, food & softdrinks , and 6 days unlimited diving (realisitcally 4/5 dives per day incliding a night dive)....the 7th day is a dry day to allow for surface interval before the flight home. There are many many livaboards to choose from so prices will vary. Another thing is group discounts apply. So if we got about 10 then maybe a 11th would be free...obviously the price reduction would be pread about and would drop the price by about 70euro.

Quote:
How much esxtra would gear be?
I don't know how much extra gear would be, to be honest i wouldn't want to rent kit out there. You'd be guaranteed that it hasn't been serviced since 190x. You are always better off with you own kit but if thats not an option then work a deal with a dive centre back here for kit rental. Weights and cyclinders are provided on the boat.

Quote:
Do you leave the boat at any stage or is it out on the sea for 7 days?
No you don't leave the boat at any stage really.This is one of the best things about the livaboard. They anchor up in sheltered waters shich is sometimes directly above the next mornings dive site. Although they pull into port on the last night and you can go about and do the tourist thing its easier just to get hammered out oif it and celbrate a good weeks diving. We did a trip into the desert which was good fun, but those things can be organised out there on baord the boat.

--edit--
A very good way of seeing whats available and prices is to pick up a copy of Diver magazine...they'll have a whole section for livaboards. Also people would want to put some thought/research into either doing the norther less diver routes or the southern route with all the big names on it.

Last edited by Peace; 13-11-2003 at 13:00.
13-11-2003, 15:00   #23
daveg

You've sold me. If I can afford it (and if it's late August I should be ok) I'll be there. Looks like a need to pick up some gear though. I presume you can hire wetsuits. If I was to invest in a suit it'd be a dry suit (for diving here) and that wouldnt be much good for out there.
13-11-2003, 15:07   #24
Mick L

Good man Dave, that's the spirit.
Phil's been quiet lately...Phil, you up for this?
Advertisement
13-11-2003, 15:48   #25
Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by daveg
You've sold me. If I can afford it (and if it's late August I should be ok) I'll be there. Looks like a need to pick up some gear though. I presume you can hire wetsuits. If I was to invest in a suit it'd be a dry suit (for diving here) and that wouldnt be much good for out there.
Good to hear mate. Regards the suit both myself and mick bought 5mm full length wet suits for warm waster holidays. You can get em for between 100-120 euro's. I've used mine in Red Sea and Carribean so far. Much better than renting a suit wich has been many times pissed in.....rental wet suits....ewww...flash back of open water dives ... ewww

*I have NEVER pissed in a wet suit and believe i will not in the future.
13-11-2003, 19:13   #26
Evil Phil
Contact Section

Quote:
Originally posted by Mick L
Good man Dave, that's the spirit.
Phil's been quiet lately...Phil, you up for this?
I'm away in August for a 4 month climbing trip but if its earlier in the year and I can afford it then yeah, why not? I'll be sure to bring plenty of dramamine
13-11-2003, 21:59   #27
Peace

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Phil
I'm away in August for a 4 month climbing trip but if its earlier in the year and I can afford it then yeah, why not? I'll be sure to bring plenty of dramamine
You're letting me down a bagfull here phil, a BAGFULL!!
01-12-2003, 21:48   #28

would love to Go.

That does sound sound like a very good idea. If someone can post a list of dates that they can make it and the rest agree / disagree to these dates then would love to tag along. Peace since you post it how about you set the dates that will suit you and the rest of us bubble heads fight over which set of dates would be best.

"The Voices in my head have stop talking, now they are singing, and one bastard is out of tune." Mack

Last edited by Evil Phil; 02-12-2003 at 10:21.
08-12-2003, 10:05   #29
AL][EN

After counting the penny's (ahem) cents. It looks like a dive holiday in the red sea it out for me.

I'd love to have done this as ive never had a dive outside of irish waters however there's no way i can make it the cash just isnt there. better that i let you guys know now in advance (unless of course i win the lotto then i'll take you all off to the red sea for a dive my treat )
22-12-2003, 16:00   #30
Peace

New Depth record on open circuit!

Mark Ellyatt has set a new depth record for an open circuit dive with a depth of 311m.

Its up on divernet here....in short a 12mintue descent to 311m and he was back up 6h40m later and had to use a total of 30 cylinders....i believe he carried only 6 at any one given time. The rest were delivered to him by support divers.

Alas, i don't think i'll be dropping to that depth on open circuit anytime soon. If i were doing it i'd be doing it on CCR (rebreather).

<edit>

Quote:
Mr Ellyatt, a technical instructor at a Phuket dive company
Phuket dive school.....LMAO....Phuket!
</edit>

Last edited by Peace; 22-12-2003 at 16:09.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion