Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-05-2003, 02:07   #1
Evil Phil
Contact Section

PADI Recreational Dive Planner Recall

NB: PADI Recreational Dive Planner Recall
It seems that there was a printer error. If you are using an RDP purchased in 2002 then you should read this article to see if you need a replacement.

http://www.padi.com/rdprecall/

Quote:
PADI recently issued a recall notice for certain Recreational Dive Planners (RDP). Errors by the printer caused inaccurate or missing numbers on these RDPs.

While analysis of the problems shows that the risk of injury from errors is remote, for the sake of safety, we ask that you immediately check any RDP that you purchased or received during this period, against the product and production codes listed below. Please note not all RDPs shipped during the latter half of 2002 have printer errors ...

Last edited by Evil Phil; 17-07-2003 at 18:48.
Advertisement
31-05-2003, 02:17   #2
Evil Phil
Contact Section

Stolen Gear

Posted by JaK ...

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 1:04 PM
To: 'irishdiving@yahoogroups.com'
Subject: [irishdiving] stolen gear
Dear all - the following gear was stolen from the Trinity Club on tuesday
night (the 27th) while they were shore diving in Sandycove harbour, Dublin.
This message is twofold - firstly to warn everyone to keep an eye on their
stuff if they are in that area (I thought I would never see the day!), and
secondly, if anyone is offered this gear for sale to please get in touch
with our D.O. John Hickie at jhickie@facility.ie. Alternatively, if anybody
might have picked up this gear thinking it belonged to them, perhaps they
could give it back?
Many thanks
Elvira

Bottle - Faber, stumpy 12L, White. serial no - 99/9954/010 (has the number
21 painted in silver on shoulder)
Reg - Oceanic Alpha CDX, with octopus and contents guage. serial no -
209988 (club no. 8, might well have 'TCD' scratched onto the first stage)
STAB - Oceanic BAJA - (has the number 2 attached to bottom D-ring with cable
tie).
19-06-2003, 19:31   #3
Evil Phil
Contact Section

ZEAGLE RECALL: Flathead VI, 50D, Envoy, DS IV Regulators

Quote:
Zeagle Systems, Inc. is recalling 931 first stage scuba regulators sold between January 20, 2003 and May 19, 2003. If you have one of these regulators it is essential to take it to your dealer for immediate repair.
Do not attempt to dive with this regulator again until the regulator has been inspected by an authorized Zeagle dealer.
Some of these regs are faulty, if you have one get it checked. The full story here
17-07-2003, 18:44   #4
Evil Phil
Contact Section

UWATEC dive computer recall

Passed on by Peace ...

UWATEC have issued the a recall notice for their Smart PRO and Smart COM dive computers.

Quote:
Voluntary Recall
UWATEC is conducting a voluntary recall of the Smart PRO and Smart COM dive computers. A software programming error in these computers may cause the alert signals to stop working properly, and, in some instances, the screen freezes ...
Full report on Divernet.com

Last edited by Evil Phil; 17-07-2003 at 18:51.
25-08-2003, 09:42   #5
Mick L

Dive Report from Donegal

I went to Donegal this weekend for 3 dives with Diveology. The dives went as follows:

Dive 1, Saturday morning:
Myself and buddy were the only divers on the RIB so we had loads of room and no time pressure. We dived a site called Limburner rock. It's a big mound of rock, like a small underwater mountain, starting from 5m down to 40m. The viz was excellent, about 15 - 20m. At one stage we lay down on the sea bed at 40m and could see the outline of the RIB on the surface. There is loads of life on the rocks at about 20m. There is a string surge at 5 - 10m which made deployment of the SMB a bit tricky.

Dive 2, Saturday afternoon:
This dive was a shallow dive on the wreck of the Kallipoli, a greek steamship torpedoed in WWII. The trick on this dive is to find the wreck which is scattered around the seabed. Despite the good viz we managed to find a part of the hull but not the boilers. There's not much current here and the seabed was rocky/sandy so it was as good a time as any to practise a few drills.

Dive3, Sunday morning:
The best wreck dive I've done in Ireland, we dived on the Laurentic, another wreck from WWII. She's a big ship and unlike the Kallipoli there's no searching to be done, you can't miss her. Again the viz was amazing. I've never seen so many congers and lobsters in the one place, the whole wreck is teeming with life. Unfortunately fishermen know this as well and there is a lot of fishing line and hooks scattered around the wreck. The wreck itself is quite flat but there is a lot of cargo still to be seen. We dived on the bow and worked our way back until we got to the 4 massive boilers, all next to each other. At this point we had to turn back as we had been at 40m for about 20 min and we had clocked up 27min of deco by the time we got back to the shot. During the dive we kept our eyes open for any signs of the 22 gold bars rumoured to still be missing from the salvage.

All in all a very good weekend of diving. Diveology is a new dive operation, and with the dive sites they have in Donegal they have the potential to be really successful. Best of luck to them
Advertisement
25-08-2003, 16:17   #6
TacT

Send a message via Skype™ to TacT
looks good! I'm off down to spiddal this weekend or next for a spear-fishing/snorkelling holiday, I'll let ya know what the life is like down there.

That wreck you dived on where there were a lot of fishing hooks etc sounds more than a little interesting from a fishing point of view. Do you need a boat to get out to it or is it within swimming distance, 200-500M from the shore?
25-08-2003, 16:33   #7
Mick L

Yeah the Laurentic is a great dive, a bit too good in fact, we spent more time looking around than we should have and paid for it by hanging around for deco bored silly. But there's a lot to see.

It's about a mile out from Lough Swilly but the harbour we were using was about 40/50 minutes away on a RIB. There's a description on the wreck and some pictures in this Divernet article
26-08-2003, 16:51   #8
daveg

Send a message via Yahoo to daveg
Excellent report Mick. I'm gonna make this a sticky as it may give the group some idea's for dive sites. If you wish to add your dive reports please do so.
28-08-2003, 10:13   #9
daveg

Basking shark rescue by Scubadive west members
Advertisement
01-10-2003, 10:59   #10
Mick L

Martinique

I went diving in Martinique a few weeks ago. If you're looking for a dive holiday location here's what you can expect:

Martinique is the island directly North of St Lucia in the Caribbean. It is a French island so if you speak French well and good, if you don't you could probably get by. The diving ranges from shallow coral reefs to deep wrecks and drop offs. When I say deep we're talking 60m. The diving is easy in clear warm water. This is wetsuit diving, I had a 5mm full length, no hood or gloves needed. There are some excellent dive sites around the island. The two best sites are

Le Rocher du diamant (Diamond Rock):
This is a large rock (large enough for English soldiers to occupy) just off the south western tip of the island, with a good view of St Lucia. The rock drops off steeply to 50m then there is a wall to 60m. The sea bed then gradually drops away the durther you get from the rock. There are some nice themoclines to cool yourself in on your way down and back up. On the way back up there are some very nice swim throughs, one cave in particular about 14m high, there's a great view when you swim through it and look back and up, the top of the cave is just at the surface of the water.

The Roraima:
This passenger ship sunk as it was in the harbour of St. Pierre when Mont Pele errupted and destroyed the town. (It has been reported that only 2 out of the 30,000 population survived). This is a deep wreck, lying in 50m. there are many swim throughs, the biggest being a section between the double hull (very silty, narrow and deep, once you've done it you won't forget it!!).

The other dives are shallower, anything from 12m to 40m. There's always a good bit of life, dolphins, Eagle Rays, turtles, octopus, and lots of fish. You won't get as much life as the Red Sea but there's certainly more than Dublin Bay.

Martinique has some great dives and if you want to dive deep then this is a good place to do it. We went in September which is after the main season so we got a good deal on accomodation. It's also the rainy season but that's not a problem, the rain can be a welcome break from the heat and only lsts about half an hour at a time.
15-10-2003, 17:32   #11
Peace

RedSea Wildcat - Read on!

HIGHLY WORTH READING FOLKS:

The best trip i've been on so far in relation to diving was when i dived the Red Sea. T

The only way to dive the Red Sea is to go for a liveaboard - this eliminates the getting up at 5am in the morning and dragging your gear down to the jetty and hoping aboard a day boat for the 3 hours journey out to whatever site you're diving that day. No Sir, the liveaboard simply moors up overnight and when ou get out of bed at a more civilised 7.30am you simply walk down to the dive deck and gear up. No fuss no mess. You can be in the water within 15minutes of you're gentle awakenin by whichever french instructor is calling you MiniMe. The shear convienence of it outweights any cost which may be incurred over a day boat holiday.

Same deal for when you come up from a dive. You hop up onto the dive deck, doff your kit and up you go to lie in the sun knowing you've got about an hour and a half before you repeat the exercise.

Also the diving in the red sea is , well you have to see it to believe it. We managed to get a swim in with a wild pod of dolphins....literally no words to describe that. Moray ells that look like they could eat you whole. Turtles galore. Huge wall dives - the most spoectacular was Shark Reef (750m down!).
I'm tellin yis, the red sea is a divers mecca for a good reason.

For those of you who are interested we stayed on a liveaboard called the WildCat. There are many liveaboards but the WildCat gets an unusual write up on divernet today:
http://www.divernet.com/news/stories...at141003.shtml

I assure you for the duration of our visit the boat was completely positively bouyant.

15-10-2003, 18:39   #12
Evil Phil
Contact Section

Boards first dive in the Killary Fjord

This was to be my first time not only diving in Irish waters but diving in cold water too. So I had to do two orientation/refresher dives before I was allowed out on the big bad boat dive. So without much further ado ...

The first dive, for which I buddied up with fellow moderator daveg, was a shore dive and only went to about 8m. The 7m visibility was okay considering this was my first dive in a year. There was the usual instruction stuff before we fined out into the dive proper, a kelp reef. The amount of life was a pleasant surprise. Crabs, cuttlefish, loads of other fish and I even got to feed a conger eel, which was pretty cool. MickL and Peace were off doing what boards people do best, being techies and going techie diving. Our shore dive lasted about 45 mintues with a bit of a swim back to the beach.

Afterwards it was into the changing rooms for a nice hot shower. Down I stripped and walked, naked as the day I was born, into the showers. The woman in there promptly ran screaming out of the showers which are unisex and not telling people is, apparently, a joke. Bastards. Then we went to the pub and got locked.

On Sunday morning, feeling very green, my second shore dive was at about 14m depth with the same vis. More conger eels, crabs, king-prawns (whom I assume have a symbiotic relationship with congers) and various oddities that live in the sea. There were a couple of dogfish too, sharks of any kind are always a highlight. Then back for coffee, a less naked shower and more coffee.

I was now ready for the afternoons boat dive, so I wimped out being cold and hung over. This didn't last and I went off with everybody else feeling even worse. This was to be diving proper going to about 20m+ with deco stops. Not deep for some of the lads in here but deep enough for a beginner like me. More congers just bigger and a lobster like something out of a Jules Verne novel. Again the amount of life was a surprise as I drifted over a meadow of brittle sea stars teasing crabs in passing. It was green and murky with an eerieness I thoroughly enjoyed. Back up to the boat then to clamber aboard amongst the filthiest looks I've received in a long time. There was a strong swell and a number of people were unimpressed with my being the last aboard.

Diving in Ireland is fun, fun, fun. It different from the tropical diving I've done. With half a foot of neoprene and 15 kilos of lead it's a long way from 2k and a shorty. Its good though, I'm going again.
16-10-2003, 08:42   #13
daveg

Re: Boards first dive in the Killary Fjord

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Phil
Afterwards it was into the changing rooms for a nice hot shower. Down I stripped and walked, naked as the day I was born, into the showers. The woman in there promptly ran screaming out of the showers which are unisex and not telling people is, apparently, a joke. Bastards.
LMFAO. I can honestly say I have never seen a funnier face than yours when the girls walked into the shower.
16-10-2003, 08:44   #14
daveg

Re: RedSea Wildcat - Read on!

Quote:
Originally posted by Peace
The only way to dive the Red Sea is to go for a liveaboard - this eliminates the getting up at 5am in the morning and dragging your gear down to the jetty and hoping aboard a day boat for the 3 hours journey out to whatever site you're diving that day.
Kevin who did you book the holiday with? Was it on-line? If so can you post some links.
16-10-2003, 09:28   #15
Mick L

Re: Re: RedSea Wildcat - Read on!

Quote:
Originally posted by daveg
Kevin who did you book the holiday with? Was it on-line? If so can you post some links.
Dave, we booked through friends of ours and there is also a website for the wildcat where you can book it yourself. But the boats gone man, just let it go.

Plenty more boats in the sea

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion