Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Noo-b Question on "Riser Length"

• 05-11-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

From online sources I have come across 2 methods of estimating my draw length.

1) Hold the nock of an arrow against my chest, the point facing straight out in front of me. Grasp the arrow between my palms, with my hands extended straight out in front and measure to the tips of my middle fingers.

This gives me a reading of 26.5"

2) Measure my wingspan from the tips of my middle fingers across my chest and divide the figure by 2.5.

My wingspan is 68" divided by 2.5 give me figure of 27.2"

So my draw length is somewhere between 26.5" and 27.2".

Again from online resources, this dictates that I should use a 66" bow.

Now to my question and it is with regard to Riser length.

I have seen risers advertised measuring from 21" to 27" and in each instance it seems possible to create a 66" bow using these measurements (not 100% sure about the 27" riser).

So is riser length a personal preference or is there a preference for

* Long limbs on a short riser
    * Medium limbs on a medium riser
    * Short limbs on a long riser

I am 5' 6" if that is of any consequence.

As usual TIA to all for any input received.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 brianzilla

Good question but as with all archery questions there are no hard and fast rules.

Most archers use either a 25" riser or a 23" riser. For now it would probably be best to ignore the longer 27" risers and the shorter 21" risers, they have their purposes but it often comes down to personal preference/ style of archery.

As you stated there are a few combinations which one can use to make a 66" or even a 68" bow.

Generally a shorter riser with longer limbs will be more stable/forgiving but slower while a longer riser with short limbs will be faster but less forgiving.

As with everything this is why it is best to try before you buy. The guys in the shops here will sell you exactly what you need to develop correctly. I personally use ASI (in Wicklow) and have found them to be great but I have heard good things from people who use shootingstyle.

Hope this helps,
    B

Advertisement