Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chill cancelled insurance

• 20-10-2019 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has ever had an issue with Chill cancelling an insurance policy due to not receiving the correct documents.

Basically they asked for proof of PPS for the direct debit in July when the policy was started. Proof was sent via their uploader.

A few weeks later they got in contact again to say that they required proof of PPS, this time I sent it via email and got confirmation that it had been received and that the matter was resolved.

Now fast forward to September the same request was made and the proof was again sent on by email. They refused this proof as the photo was blurry, so I resent it and got a confirmation that again everything was resolved.

Now last Thursday I received a letter to say that the insurance has been cancelled as I have not provided proof of PPS?? Are they having a laugh?

No one will now talk to me about the issue and every time I get through to someone I am told I will be called back but never get the call back.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea where to go from here.

Comments

What is the insurance policy for OP? Car / Home /Health?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I’ve never heard of an insurer asking for a PPSN

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Firstly to ensure you are not passed from pillar to post state clearly that you want to make a formal complaint. If they say you have to put it in writing reply that under the Consumer Protection Code an oral complaint should be treated as a written complaint.

Request in writing reason for cancellation. Request the reason that a PPSN was required for an insurance policy. Request in writing that they are an approved body that is entitled to request a PPSN. State it is not required for insurance purposes and to re-instate your insurance.

You should receive confirmation of complaint within 5 days and if it is not resolved within 40. After that you can complain to the financial services ombudsman.

Why do you think pps was required? What type of insurance was it? If health did they say HSE required it. If they didn't there was no reason to request.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭keelang

Thanks all, it's private car insurance, they said that the proof of PPSN was required for the direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,548 ✭✭✭✭listermint

keelang wrote: »
    Thanks all, it's private car insurance, they said that the proof of PPSN was required for the direct debit.

It's not. No idea where that is coming from

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »

Yea I thought the same they are adamant that the lender who I would be paying back via direct debit required it. At this stage I just don't want to have a cancelled insurance against my name. I tried to get quotes from other companies now and am running into the bother of them refusing to insure me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Ok with the additional information Chill cancelled your insurance because the lender who financed your loan (not chill) refused you credit. As well as making a formal complaint do the same process for lender.

You don't need to give a pps for credit/loan. Banks are entitled to ask for a PPS number when someone applies for a loan on which they are claiming tax relief on the interest paid, for example a mortgage or home improvement loan. The PPS number is needed so that the Revenue Commissioners can apply the Tax Relief at Source (TRS) . Mortgage Tax Relief is no longer granted on new loans (since Jan 2013) – so lenders should not be asking for PPS numbers any more.

Don't listen if they say it's an aml requirement. That's bs.

One thing in the interim is to request a new policy with chill until complaint is resolved or get it somewhere else. I would get it in writing that reason insurance was cancelled was a lending issue and not an insurance refusal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

This is exasperating and potentially quite serious.

Despite OP's proper concern about not having a cancelled motor insurance policy against their name that is precisely what has happened.
    Whether it was a valid or an invalid action Chill have cancelled the policy and that is a fact beyond dispute.
    The cancellation is now a material fact in itself and must be declared in any future application for motor insurance [subject any time limit specified in relation to insurance history].

Offhand, this seems to be a case of very poor customer service which generated and then compounded the problem.

A formal complaint to Chill is definitely warranted.
    IMHO the complaint should be sent in writing by registered post.
    As others pointed out OP should query the PPS number issue at the same time.

Any further application to Chill or anyone else for motor insurance must disclose the cancellation.
    Failure to declare the cancellation constitutes misrepresentation and renders any policy obtained on foot of it voidable by the insurer.
    Such non-disclosure would also be an offence under the RTA 1961 - S.64. Link
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/64/enacted/en/html#sec64

BTW the cancellation might also have to be declared under a proposal for other types of insurance if the proposal form or stated underwriting assumptions asks if any insurer has ever cancelled a policy held by you.

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    This is exasperating and potentially quite serious.

Despite OP's proper concern about not having a cancelled motor insurance policy against their name that is precisely what has happened.
    Whether it was a valid or an invalid action Chill have cancelled the policy and that is a fact beyond dispute.
    The cancellation is now a material fact in itself and must be declared in any future application for motor insurance [subject any time limit specified in relation to insurance history].

Offhand, this seems to be a case of very poor customer service which generated and then compounded the problem.

A formal complaint to Chill is definitely warranted.
    IMHO the complaint should be sent in writing by registered post.
    As others pointed out OP should query the PPS number issue at the same time.

Any further application to Chill or anyone else for motor insurance must disclose the cancellation.
    Failure to declare the cancellation constitutes misrepresentation and renders any policy obtained on foot of it voidable by the insurer.
    Such non-disclosure would also be an offence under the RTA 1961 - S.64. Link
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1961/act/24/section/64/enacted/en/html#sec64

BTW the cancellation might also have to be declared under a proposal for other types of insurance if the proposal form or stated underwriting assumptions asks if any insurer has ever cancelled a policy held by you.

Thanks for you reply. I totally agree regarding the declaration of the cancelled insurance its there in black and white now so it's a disaster really.

I finally got a call back on Monday however it was in no way insightful as there was no one on the other end with authority to talk about what could be done to rectify the problem.

They offered to start a new policy for me, however only one of their companies will now give me a quote due to the cancelled insurance and of course it was substantially higher than what my insurance had been. It really is shocking how such terrible customer care can seemingly ruin a 25 year perfect driving record.

On another note the I was reading previous threads about cancellations and it seems the notice of cancellation is supposed to be sent by registered post and with 10 days notice? Letter was sent by regular mail and the insurance was cancelled the day before the letter was sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

keelang wrote:
    On another note the I was reading previous threads about cancellations and it seems the notice of cancellation is supposed to be sent by registered post and with 10 days notice? Letter was sent by regular mail and the insurance was cancelled the day before the letter was sent!

The letter has to be sent by registered post, no leeway about it. They don't need to ensure it was received, just sent to the last known address. Ask for a copy of the registration slip

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

We've been customers with Chill for a number of years with several policies, and they seem to have very much lost the plot in recent months with their internal administration, my daughter took out a new policy with them recently, and had massive hassles with them because of delays getting proof of named driver experience, the relevant companies were incredibly slow sending out the required letters, and there were a number of letters threatening cancellation, and it seems that the internal department that monitors compliance with requests for information are not being kept in the loop by other departments, so the result is a lot of hassles, and threats of cancellations.

I don't know how it's going to be made to happen, the entire industry needs to be given a massive official and formal kicking for bad practise, inappropriate procedures, and that's before we get on to the subject of the way they are operating in general. The problem unfortunately is finding a group of politicians with the will to take on the vested interests, and that seems to be a major problem.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

my daughter took out a new policy with them recently, and had massive hassles with them because of delays getting proof of named driver experience, the relevant companies were incredibly slow sending out the required letters, and there were a number of letters threatening cancellation, and it seems that the internal department that monitors compliance with requests for information are not being kept in the loop by other departments, so the result is a lot of hassles, and threats of cancellations.

How was any of that Chill's problem? When you took out the cover, it was on the basis that you would provide documents within a certain timeframe. You failed to do that it appears

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Op how much was the premium?

What format was the proof of PPSN?

Op how much was the premium?

What format was the proof of PPSN?

Nearly 2k up 300 euro. P60 was the proof of PPSN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

I’ve never heard of an insurer asking for a PPSN
    joeguevara wrote: »
    Request in writing reason for cancellation. Request the reason that a PPSN was required for an insurance policy. Request in writing that they are an approved body that is entitled to request a PPSN. State it is not required for insurance purposes and to re-instate your insurance.
    listermint wrote: »
    keelang wrote: »
    joeguevara wrote: »
    You don't need to give a pps for credit/loan. Banks are entitled to ask for a PPS number when someone applies for a loan on which they are claiming tax relief on the interest paid, for example a mortgage or home improvement loan. The PPS number is needed so that the Revenue Commissioners can apply the Tax Relief at Source (TRS) . Mortgage Tax Relief is no longer granted on new loans (since Jan 2013) – so lenders should not be asking for PPS numbers any more.

Don't listen if they say it's an aml requirement. That's bs.

To clarify to all those saying an insurance company does not or can not ask for your PPS number or that you don't need it for credit or a loan please note you are incorrect (unless the value is under €500).

By law any provision of credit worth €500 or over including payments by installment (deferred payment) requires a PPS number since January 1st 2018.

By law when applying for any loan, deferred payment or other form of financial accommodation the provider is legally required to request and you are legally required to give your PPS number, failure to do so results in no credit.

These are legal requirements applicable to any provider and to all consumers once the value is €500 or more under the provisions of the Credit Reporting Act 2018.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement