Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kata Bunkai/Oyo & Yamaneryu Kobudo Patrick Mc Carthy 9th Dan 2019

• 12-12-2018 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

Hi All,

Patrick McCarthy Hanshi will return to Ireland in 2019 B]June 19th to June 23rd[/B, McCarthy Hanshi is a leading authority in the field of the classical and traditional fighting art of Okinawa, world leading historian/researcher and trailblazer wrt the functional applications of Kata.

He is a Japan-accredited instructor [Hanshi 9th Dan/範士9段] whose life has been dedicated to the fighting arts – studying it since childhood.

The themes of Hanshi Mccarthy’s 2019 master camp will be the functional application practices of Kata, and its 2-person drills, which will be directly and immediately transferable to any style.

Additionally, Hanshi McCarthy will also focus on stand-up, clinch-work and ground 'n pound, all from a "traditional basis" as it pertains to traditional karate.

He will also examine Yamaneryu Kobudo.

Any questions or to book a place on this 5 Day mastercamp, PM or contact info@ku-ireland.com

Cheers

Damien
    http://www.ku-ireland.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭cletus

I know it's 2018 and all, but is there clinch work and ground'n'pound in traditional Okinawan karate?

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

cletus wrote: »
    I know it's 2018 and all,

Was about to charge up the flux capacitor……:D

but is there clinch work and ground'n'pound in traditional Okinawan karate?

While not wanting to return to the 90's here goes....

It depends on what you believe Karate to be, if you believe it to be popular Japanese Karate (with a very rule bound tradition) then grappling etc. does not in generally live within that curriculum, following on from its introduction to Japan there has been some reverse pollination back to Okinawa influencing its modern Okinawan karate.

But if you look at original Karate or at least pre 1900’s then I believe it would be safe to say that grappling etc. did exist within Karate …it would be impossible/naive to ignore these aspects/ranges if you were proportion to live/teach a civil defence system.

Here is an article that is interesting….

https://www.bjjee.com/articles/tegumi-the-traditional-wrestling-art-from-okinawa/

Thanks for the reply. So, about 1905, grappling and some of the more dangerous techniques were removed. The recommendation (at least from the article) is to find a live grappling art, learn how to grapple, then add it into your karate training.

Would it not be more beneficial to just train karate, and then train, say, bjj, rather than trying to shoehorn one into the other? Especially when grappling arts are fundamentally "alive", where katas (at least in my limited experience) are not?

I see Patrick McCarthy is name-checked in the article as a guy who went away and trained in a grappling art. Do you happen to know with whom, and for how long?

I'm not trying to goad you, or start a flame war, my interest was just piqued at the inclusion of those terms

OK….I included the article to highlight Okinawan wresting from and independent source/author.

IMHO, if your Karate already included a ground grappling/throwing etc. curriculum from day one while still honouring the tradition of Karate with these movements reflected in Kata, while encouraging cross training, then no shoe horning occurs. It returns to what one believes karate to be, modern mainstream, up and down floor, new kata every 3 months, no grappling etc. or modern interpretation of original karate which (IMO) did include these ranges/techniques. Hope that makes sense.

Yes saw that name-check, while I don’t have an extensive time line….(will search for one) here are some answers from interviews and a lineage pic.

Patrick McCarthy Answer: I first started judo at the Saint John [New Brunswick, Canada] YMCA in September of 1964. Three years later I took up Kyokushin Karate, also in Saint John, under Sensei Adrian Gomes and stayed with him until I relocated to Toronto. Of course, I boxed as an amateur and competed as a collegiate wrestler in school.

[Ranks held 3rd/4th Dan judo]

During the five years, between 72 and 77, I opened my own dojo and did a lot of cross training with various instructors [Dave Huston, Ron Forrester, Professor Wally Jay, Bob Dalgliesh, and Wally Slocki]. In 1979 I relocated to the West Coast of Canada where I opened my second dojo, the Vancouver Karate Centre. It was during this time that resumed my jujutsu training [under Prof Wally Jay]

[Ranks held 8th Dan Ju-Jutsu]

Simon Keegan Question: I find it very interesting that you were at the forefront of Japan’s MMA movement. For readers who may not know, before UFC/Pride people like Ken Shamrock, Dan Severn, Kazushi Sakuraba and Nobuhiko Takada competed in Shootfighting. How did you come to be involved with the UWFI? I know you worked with Takada, but who else did you train with?

Patrick McCarthy Answer: Oh … you really did your homework Simon san �� In the mid-1980’s while residing in Japan I met Gene Pelc, an American businessman in Tokyo. He was passionate about Kakutogi [a Japanese which roughly means combat sports] and had watched me perform at a local demonstration. Through Gene I met Sayama Satoru … the man who established the MMA movement in Japan, then called, “Shooto.” Shooto, in its original form, was a remarkably brutal form of stand-up fighting with clinch-work and ground and pound. Void of many rules and equipment Shooto used a boxing ring, no gloves and seemed to appeal mostly to submission wrestlers of that era. Wanting to preserve an ageing body I decided to try Shoot-Boxing under Cesar Takeshi which favoured using a little more equipment; i.e. gloves, mouth piece, cup etc. In those days [late 1980’s] the rounds were 10-mins in duration and terribly challenging on this then 34-year old body. When Gene organised an opportunity for me to become an in-house trainer for the UWFi I seized it. Those years were wonderfully educational and I literally met and trained with the who’s who of Japan’s Kakutogi community. Our submission wrestling mentors were Karl Gotch, Billy Robinson, Lou Thesz and Danny Hodge, etc. This set the stage for what would ultimately become, Pride Fighting…

[Ranks held, don’t think there are any in catch-wrestling etc.]

AKJJ-Lineage1.png?w=701

Hope that is of interest…and glad to hear its not a flame war etc.

Additionally:
    Patrick McCarthy Answer:When I studied Judo its techniques were always imparted through two-person practices. My boxing coach used a similar approach. When I wrestled in High School it was the same way. Prof. Wally Jay taught me Jujutsu through the same method. When I became a student of Sugino Yoshio I wasn’t surprised to discover him using the same pathway. What I did find very cool was that those Katori Shinto Ryu two-person drills were more than 600 years old. I still remember how much of an impact that made on me. Oddly enough, the reason I was so blown away by this experience was because I working out three times a week with submission grappler and noted cage fighter, Takada Nobuhiko, of the UWFi. He taught NHB-style submission fighting in an identical fashion!
    While I really enjoyed the traditional fighting arts but never really thought of them as highly functional for actual fighting in the street. He changed all of that.

I included this to highlight that while considered a TMA’er it was NHB that influenced him (possibly the most) to open the door and progress the movement for functionality within Kata.

Thats an impressive spread in his lineage. I get what you’re say re training from day one, but how many clubs train like that? At what point does a style become how it it is trained?

• Advertisement

Thats an impressive spread in his lineage. I get what you’re say re training from day one, but how many clubs train like that? At what point does a style become how it it is trained?

How many clubs (assuming you mean mainstream Japanese Karate clubs), I don’t really know, I think the number is growing but my perception may be biased, in reality probably very few!

This year’s Master camp will focus on the functional application of,

Tekki / Naihanchi Kata

Bunkai/Oyo and Two Person Drill, which will be directly and immediately transferable to any style.

Here are some examples of our interpretation of Kata (Tekki/Naihanchi)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DheidwNA2lk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkC9v_yaCoI

All welcome!

Just over a week away!

PM if you wish to book a place.

Advertisement