Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CST Wing Chun

• 15-04-2019 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

Just a quick post to see if anyone trains CST WingChun in Dublin/ Ireland? It would be classed as an internal art with a lot of standing practice.

Thanks
    Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cstwingchun

Hi there,

Would anyone be interested in learning the CST wingchun method?

Thanks
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Does CST stand for Chu Shong Tin?
    I trained under Jim Fung RIP who was also one of the elite students of Ip Man.

I have my reservations about traditional martial arts but I think Jim still could have fought if he needed to and was in incredible shape for his age. He must have been about 60 at the time. Was a stocky, strong and very mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Cstwingchun

Yep, stands for Chu shong tin.

Do you mind me asking how long did you train under Jim Fung RIP and what would your reservations be about Chu Shong tin method? What do you train now?

Thanks

Hi Mike.
    I trained with Jim’s school for 7 months but would not have had much interaction with him.
    I enjoyed my time training but knew it’s limitations. We learned a few tricks for self defense which might help but luckily have never had to use any of them.

I don’t have anything against CST in particular. I’m sure wing chun is one of the better styles of traditional martial arts. It’s martial arts in general I don’t trust.
    To answer your questions. I don’t train anything. If I was a younger man and had the time I would train mma or Thai boxing.

what would your reservations be about Chu Shong tin method?

My issue with my experience of wing chun is three main reasons.

1. No grappling.
    - If you don’t want to go to the ground there’s a huge chance a fight or attack is going to end up there anyway. How any self defense method over looks this is beyond me.
    - it’s a great way to take somebody out of their comfort zone. If you’re attacked by a troublemaker/scumbag, they are probably experienced in standing up punching people. It’s great to have an option to take the fight to where they are inexperienced.

2. Footwork
    We learned to stand square on and try to punch and block up the centre line of the hitting zone. No movement!
    Watch boxing or mma. Highly trained athletes bouncing their feet moving in and out. Footwork and head movement is so important to avoid being hit and to land your own strikes.

3. No sparing.
    We were told we couldn’t spar because the moves we train can’t be done in practice without hurting your partner.
    You need to get a feel of throwing and taking a punch with a real person to have any chance of getting good at throwing and taking a punch!
    I don’t mean you go all out to kill each other. Sparring too hard is stupid too. However, every boxer, Thai boxer and mma fighter spars. What makes traditional martial artists think they can punch the air or a wooden dummy and react perfectly in a real fight?

• Advertisement
Advertisement