Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-02-2019, 21:29   #31
usernamegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper12 View Post
When you flag down a taxi or at a rank they can't refuse you based on where you want to go assuming that it's in the area they hold a licence for. I don't believe this is the case with my taxi, Uber or a radio company
If they are plying or engaged for hire then it does see s23 of the 2013 Act.
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 21:31   #32
usernamegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
I always thought they didn't have to accept the fare until you actually sat in the car?
No plying for hire, engaged for hire, or standing at a rank then it applies.
10-02-2019, 21:56   #33
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamegoes
Anyone being interviewed with the potential of a criminal prosecution has these rights and they must have them told to them. The NTA is the prosecution authority under the 2013 Act not the Garda. Authorized officers of the NTA therefore do the interviewing.

I understand that but refusing to accept a fare isn't a criminal offence. They wouldn't interview him under caution when there is no criminal offence. Even if they did interview him under caution it's not the type of information they can share. The under caution part shouldn't be shared with you. It has no bearing on your complaint.

I think a taxi driver, Losty Dublin, already pointed out that private bookings like radio companies & Web based aps are exempt from from the law refusing a fare. Vandriver pointed out that you put in your destination when you book an Uber cab so the driver already knows where you are going before he accepts the job.

I'm sorry but it all sounds made up to me
(2) thanks from:
10-02-2019, 22:06   #34
iamtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losty Dublin View Post
I can't speak for other drivers but when I was in the trade and on the way to a booked pickup and saw somebody trying to hail and asked me, I'd let them know I was on my way elsewhere but if they were en route then yeah I would. Different story if you were doubling back but if it was handy then hell yeah, why not.

Some canny base staff at cab firms would do similar with their drivers; if they knew you could pick up a fare en route to another fare then they'd get you to do both.

Sue me if you want for doing this
This is what I expect happened. Most drivers are on their way to a fare already these days and some would chance their arm pulling in, in the hope your going in the right direction. Personally as a driver I wouldn't do it unless I was creeping in traffic I'd explain the situation.
I wouldn't do it for fear of what the op has done, as an annoying as it can be for the Op whats the point in chasi g it up. More hassle for him especially if it goes to court. I'd just tell the nta to leave it if it was me personally.
Thanks from:
10-02-2019, 22:10   #35
punisher5112

When is something going to be done about the abuse of bus stops especially by taxis.

It's shocking the amount I can't get in safely to get the elderly on/off safe or wheelchair users.

It's actually getting worse.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 22:12   #36
usernamegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper12 View Post
I understand that but refusing to accept a fare isn't a criminal offence. They wouldn't interview him under caution when there is no criminal offence. Even if they did interview him under caution it's not the type of information they can share. The under caution part shouldn't be shared with you. It has no bearing on your complaint.

I think a taxi driver, Losty Dublin, already pointed out that private bookings like radio companies & Web based aps are exempt from from the law refusing a fare. Vandriver pointed out that you put in your destination when you book an Uber cab so the driver already knows where you are going before he accepts the job.

I'm sorry but it all sounds made up to me
Yes it is an criminal offence Read sub-s4 http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2.../en/html#sec23

NTA agreed with me that the taxi was plying for trade or engaged for trade therefore s23(2) applied.

Believe it or not. Posted so that others will know what to do if the same thing happens to them.

For those interested here's the email I got back (redacted for privacy)

Quote:
Dear Mr. usernamegoes,

I refer to the above complaint.

I am to advise that the driver in this case was interviewed under caution on the 09 January 2019. The detail of your complaint was outlined to the driver and he was afforded the opportunity to respond. Having considered the detail of your complaint together with the responses of the driver it was decided that the appropriate resolution in this case was to issue the driver with a Fixed Payment Notice in the sum of €80.00 for the unreasonable refusal of a fare.

The matter is now closed and the National Transport Authority will take no further action in this case except where the driver fails to make payment within the statutory period. However, your complaint will be retained on file should similar complaints arise against this driver in the future. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for drawing this matter to our attention.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXX,
Compliance Officer

Last edited by usernamegoes; 10-02-2019 at 22:23.
10-02-2019, 22:15   #37
iamtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamegoes View Post
It's getting harder and harder to get a taxi. No new normal licenses have been issued since 2011; look at NTA stats.
Is a wheelchair accessible vehicle not a normal vehicle? They can carry just as many passengers as a saloon and extra luggage and on top of that the licence is significantly cheaper than the saloon licences used to cost.
The reason for the lack of people taking up taxi driving is the difficult test(which I agree should be hard, and no GPS can replace local knowledge, Google maps doesn't know everything) and the extortionate insurance premiums during the first 3 years.
10-02-2019, 22:17   #38
iamtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
When is something going to be done about the abuse of bus stops especially by taxis.

It's shocking the amount I can't get in safely to get the elderly on/off safe or wheelchair users.

start your own thread buddy totally off topic.
Thanks from:
10-02-2019, 22:18   #39
KevinCavan

This kind of behaviour puts everybody off using taxis and off taxi drivers.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 22:20   #40
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamegoes
Believe it or not. Posted so that others will know what to do if the same thing happens to them.

I'm not a taxi driver nor do I use the aps. It still makes no sense to me but thanks for going to the trouble of posting. If I am wrong I'm sorry for doubting you.
Thanks from:
10-02-2019, 22:20   #41
usernamegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtony View Post
Is a wheelchair accessible vehicle not a normal vehicle? They can carry just as many passengers as a saloon and extra luggage and on top of that the licence is significantly cheaper than the saloon licences used to cost.
The reason for the lack of people taking up taxi driving is the difficult test(which I agree should be hard, and no GPS can replace local knowledge, Google maps doesn't know everything) and the extortionate insurance premiums during the first 3 years.
No, it's an unnecessary barrier to entry.

I for one couldn't care if my driver just follows the GPS, get rid of the rule for Uber-stlye services and people know what they're dealing with if the route isn't as "expert" as someone who passed an exam.

Insurance could be dealt with via group coverage by the Uber-style operator. Pass a law which permits same. I am sure a group policy would work out cheaper than one guy trying to negotiate it themselves
10-02-2019, 22:22   #42
magentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post

Spot on.

They feel like they can jam on and pick up passengers anywhere they want,often in moving traffic.Obstructing bus stops and sitting on clearways,taking stupid chances on the road.The insurance premiums they pay are well justified and should be higher.
(3) thanks from:
10-02-2019, 22:22   #43
iamtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinCavan View Post
This kind of behaviour puts everybody off using taxis and off taxi drivers.
Yeah your right it is unfortunately, although I will say most don't do this kind of thing. Its very common In other countries.
10-02-2019, 22:24   #44
Sleeper12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtony
Is a wheelchair accessible vehicle not a normal vehicle? They can carry just as many passengers as a saloon and extra luggage and on top of that the licence is significantly cheaper than the saloon licences used to cost. The reason for the lack of people taking up taxi driving is the difficult test(which I agree should be hard, and no GPS can replace local knowledge, Google maps doesn't know everything) and the extortionate insurance premiums during the first 3 years.
Taxi drivers don't consider them normal vehicles as they cost so much to buy in the first place. The plates /licences everyone wanted was the non wheelchair plates. Less outlay.
Thanks from:
10-02-2019, 22:29   #45
iamtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamegoes View Post
No, it's an unnecessary barrier to entry.

I for one couldn't care if my driver just follows the GPS, get rid of the rule for Uber-stlye services and people know what they're dealing with if the route isn't as "expert" as someone who passed an exam.

Insurance could be dealt with via group coverage by the Uber-style operator. Pass a law which permits same. I am sure a group policy would work out cheaper than one guy trying to negotiate it themselves
yeah in theory you wouldn't mind but I Google maps will always use the fastest route which can be much much longer and more expensive. As an example going from the airport to stillorgan it will send you around the m50 which would cost about 60 quid while the direct route through the city is about 35. Many many examples of this. And also it doesn't allow for bus lanes which will be quicker etc.

Also uber wouldn't be any cheaper in the city for most journeys were not expensive as taxis go worldwide where uber can come in and massively undercut. Here it might be 20% cheaper then ad on the extra time spent in traffic and the fare would be roughly the same for the most part. Be careful what you wish for.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion