Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-01-2019, 17:12   #46
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Grand View Post
Eh no. Slow vehicles frequently pull in to allow cars to pass.

You need to be considerate of other road users.
A tractor driver was banned for causing a tailback in Mayo.

I totally agree that cyclists should have segregated paths, but until then we all have to share the road.
Cars pulling in to let fastest cars fast is a rare as hens teeth.

The motoring forum has endless threads of people complaining being held up by slower drivers and demanding everyone drive at the max speed limit. They don't even seem to know that not all vehicles have a same limit.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
26-01-2019, 17:14   #47
beauf

There is a certain irony about people in cars complaining about traffic. They seem to forget they they themselves are the traffic.
26-01-2019, 17:16   #48
Victor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
WTF?

Road Traffic Gereral Bye Laws 1964:
These bye-laws were revoked, but similar provisions still apply.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1.../made/en/print
Quote:
18 Signals by Drivers

18. (1) A driver intending to slow down, stop, or alter course, shall either give a signal by using a direction indicator or stop lamp, as appropriate, or give the appropriate hand signal set out in Table A in the Second Schedule.

(2) A driver shall indicate the direction in which the vehicle is to be driven to a member of the Garda Síochána by giving either a signal by using a direction indicator or the appropriate hand signal set out in Table B in the Second Schedule.

(3) A driver shall give a signal in sufficient time before altering course and in such a manner as to be clearly visible and clearly understood by those for whom such signal is intended.

(4) A driver shall not give simultaneous contradictory signals.
(2) thanks from:
26-01-2019, 17:16   #49
Franz Von Peppercorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCor View Post
Cycle bus, not cycle train
Train as in multiple vechicles or pack animals following each other.
26-01-2019, 17:34   #50
Mrs OBumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post
This is 60 cars taken off the road.
Its not. The parents are still driving to work. They've just got someone else to do the school dropoff for them.
Advertisement
26-01-2019, 17:47   #51
Fighting Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffryman View Post
I think this cycle bus is a great idea in principle, but I also think the OP has a valid point here in terms of how it operates.

Not only do cyclists (children) fill the cycle lane, but other cyclists (adults) take up the 'regular' traffic lane in such a way as to hold up all the other traffic too, so that - as somebody says again - nobody in a motorised vehicle can drive any faster than the slowest child on a bike.

I don't know what the solution might be - maybe a derogation from the usual law, to allow children up to the age of 12 to cycle on the footpath?
Without the adults protecting the children, cars would speed past them closely and scare and endanger them. Do you think that’s ok?
(2) thanks from:
26-01-2019, 17:51   #52
Fighting Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post
Its not. The parents are still driving to work. They've just got someone else to do the school dropoff for them.
How do you know that they parents drive to work or even work in the first place?

Every school should have something like this operate. It’s delightful to see and happy children should cheer up even the grumpiest of adults in cars.
26-01-2019, 17:52   #53
punisher5112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Tao View Post
Without the adults protecting the children, cars would speed past them closely and scare and endanger them. Do you think that’s ok?
Not only that some driver's do not have any spacial awareness at all.

I see it a lot where the dithering idiot hasn't a breeze and is within an inch of taking them out.
Thanks from:
26-01-2019, 17:56   #54
Charles Babbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
Cyclists are 'traffic' too and a bicycle is defined as a 'vehicle' in road traffic legislation.

Why differentiate them? Do you see cyclists as some sort of second class road users?

Of course they are, but you cannot proceed on to a roundabout just because the cyclist in front of you had a clear road. It is not clear that they are not doing that, they seem to following the person in front.

This is a disgrace, especially cycling across zebra crossings, which should be reserved for pedestrians, the most vulnerable class of road user. Encouraging children to break the law is never a good plan.
Advertisement
26-01-2019, 17:57   #55
hmmm

I see two sides to this.

The parents are right to block the road to protect large numbers of kids on bikes.

On the other hand, it's a bit self indulgent to think your kid and their enjoyment is so important that you can block everyone else going about their business.

As a once off it's fine, but if this becomes a thing they need to have more consideration for other road users.
26-01-2019, 17:59   #56
Fighting Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
I see two sides to this.

The parents are right to block the road to protect large numbers of kids on bikes.

On the other hand, it's a bit self indulgent to think your kid and their enjoyment is so important that you can block everyone else going about their business.

As a once off it's fine, but if this becomes a thing they need to adhere to the cycle lanes.
Regardless of when I’m in the car, on the bike or on the bus, I get held up by motorists. It’s very self indulgent of them blocking me from going about my business.
26-01-2019, 18:01   #57
Charles Babbage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Tao View Post
Regardless of when I’m in the car, on the bike or on the bus, I get held up by motorists. It’s very self indulgent of them blocking me from going about my business.

If motorists are going about their business lawfully then that is congestion. This film shows people obstructing the road deliberately because they consider their business more important.
Thanks from:
26-01-2019, 18:01   #58
OSI

You can't win in this country. You come up with a great scheme to get kids fit and active and take cars off the road and it's instant "they're on the roads Joe, the ROADS! They don't even pay tax Joe!"
26-01-2019, 18:06   #59
loyatemu

"cyclists should pull in to let cars pass"

you'd be pulling in every 10 seconds if you followed that advice. Wait until it's safe, then overtake, same as anywhere else.

26-01-2019, 18:07   #60
Fighting Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Babbage View Post
If motorists are going about their business lawfully then that is congestion. This film shows people obstructing the road deliberately because they consider their business more important.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Babbage View Post
The people on bikes in the cycle bus are going about their business lawfully (apart from the guy stopping on the roundabout) but I’m sure you agree that him stopping is better than a distracted driver taking out a dozen children. As for crossing at the zebra crossing. I don’t know the road but surely the safety of people should be paramount and if it’s safer then great.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion