Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-01-2019, 21:26   #1
Mooretaxi

Cycle train

Great to see the kids cycling to school but how can the adults get away with the blatant disregard for the traffic? Cycling in the middle of the road and stopping the bike on the roundabout blocking the traffic that would have had the right of way on the roundabout etc.
I’m all for kids being able to cycle but at the very least the people organizing this publicity event should have led by example, it’s quite possible that the next time one of those kids come to a roundabout that they think they automatically have the right of way
https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/201...alway-cycling/
Advertisement
25-01-2019, 22:58   #2
Cilar

Cycle trains would not be necessary if there was proper cycling infrastructure like in more advanced societies as in continental Europe (Netherlands, Denmark, France, Germany, etc.). I would not leave a kid on a bike alone in Ireland - kids going to school on their own is very common in other countries.

Last edited by Cilar; 25-01-2019 at 23:02.
25-01-2019, 23:05   #3
DaCor

Cycle bus, not cycle train
(3) thanks from:
25-01-2019, 23:22   #4
magicbastarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooretaxi View Post
stopping the bike on the roundabout blocking the traffic that would have had the right of way on the roundabout
explain this one to me. if they're already on the roundabout, who has right of way?
26-01-2019, 00:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
explain this one to me. if they're already on the roundabout, who has right of way?
I've seen motor cyclists do the very same but who really gives a ****?

Do what you want on the motorway or roads without fear of enforcement of the rules and there will be even more deaths and more people scratching their heads asking why and looking for reasons and for someone to blame and penalise!
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-01-2019, 09:54   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCor View Post
Cycle bus, not cycle train
Why not both?
26-01-2019, 11:40   #7
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooretaxi View Post
... disregard for the traffic?..... .....blocking the traffic......
Cyclists are 'traffic' too and a bicycle is defined as a 'vehicle' in road traffic legislation.

Why differentiate them? Do you see cyclists as some sort of second class road users?
26-01-2019, 11:42   #8
Twenty Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Ash View Post
Cyclists are 'traffic' too and a bicycle is defined as a 'vehicle' in road traffic legislation.

Why differentiate them? Do you see cyclists as some sort of second class road users?
I think it's more the fact that they're spread across both road and cycle lane, moving as fast as the slowest child, while there's a tailback of traffic that can't pass.
(2) thanks from:
26-01-2019, 11:56   #9
DaCor

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Correspondent View Post
Why not both?
Good question Glasgow Painter, as you can see, one is the correct name, one is not
Advertisement
26-01-2019, 13:09   #10
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Grand View Post
...while there's a tailback of other traffic that can't pass.
FYP
26-01-2019, 13:13   #11
loyatemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twenty Grand View Post
I think it's more the fact that they're spread across both road and cycle lane, moving as fast as the slowest child, while there's a tailback of traffic that can't pass.
tough beans - if they were all in cars you'd be moving even slower. Take a different route if it's really annoying you - I think its a great idea, hopefully it's popularity will encourage the council to improve the cycling infrastructure and then everyone wins.
26-01-2019, 14:04   #12
magicbastarder

lest we forget, the RSA are explicit in their 'advice' that children under 12 should never cycle in traffic.
so according to the people whose job it is to promote ways of getting these kids to school safely, they should either be made walk the 3km to school, or be driven there.
26-01-2019, 14:07   #13
Lord Glentoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Correspondent View Post
Why not both?
Probably why we don’t tend to speak of cyclepaths. Or indeed to them.
26-01-2019, 14:09   #14
Twenty Grand

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyatemu View Post
tough beans - if they were all in cars you'd be moving even slower. Take a different route if it's really annoying you - I think its a great idea, hopefully it's popularity will encourage the council to improve the cycling infrastructure and then everyone wins.
Eh no. Slow vehicles frequently pull in to allow cars to pass.

You need to be considerate of other road users.
A tractor driver was banned for causing a tailback in Mayo.

I totally agree that cyclists should have segregated paths, but until then we all have to share the road.
Thanks from:
26-01-2019, 14:10   #15
punisher5112

Best way to do this is to leave earlier if people are late and it's a good thing even if you think you are been held up.....

You aren't been held up as much as for in most cases each one of those kids would need 1 car each to get them to the school...

It's a win win to be honest as it's exercise, it will help the kids concentrate better and it will actually reduce traffic and emissions....
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion