Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-12-2018, 23:04   #46
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
A picture can't tell that you've illegally entered a junction.
They can be set to only take photos from a certain point and after the lights are fully changed. They really can do it if set up right. They can also have complimentary video, for disputes, with the caveat of you dispute and are shown to be wrong, the fine is higher.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
19-12-2018, 01:08   #47
Breezer

I had a taxi driver behind me lean on the horn a while back when I stopped on amber. He then proceeded to swing out to my left, pull along side me, roll down his window, stick his middle finger up at me, and then he drove through on red.

I see it every morning too, worst one for me is New St South/Dean St near St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin, where cars swing left on a straight ahead arrow across a cycle track and through a pedestrian crossing. Glasnevin Avenue onto Collins Avenue/Ballymun Road inbound is another hot spot.
19-12-2018, 07:12   #48
AndrewJRenko

Given that the Gardai are doing nothing about this, we need an IBIKEDublin style team of activists to get on the case. Get out at some of the key junctions with cameras for 30 minutes at a time. Then provide Gardai with a list of reg numbers, dates, times and witnesses.

At least it might embarrass them into doing something.
19-12-2018, 07:23   #49
CrankyHaus

It's completely unenforced, so the Gardai don't care. You can kill someone doing it and only get "4" years, so the judiciary don't care. Lord Ross got tough on road safety last week by... doing nothing about it, so politicians don't care.

Basically none of the people we pay handsomely to keep us safe cares about this crime so it'll keep on getting worse. It's unlikely that child will be the last person killed by it.
19-12-2018, 07:32   #50

Its getting so much worse
Advertisement
19-12-2018, 07:34   #51

No enforcement = No punishment = No incentive to comply with rules.

That line above is pretty much Ireland in a nutshell. Far too many imbeciles in this country who see this type of carry on as pulling a stroke/fast one or getting one over on someone.

I actually witness it every single day while walking daughter to school and the worst part is the offending cars usually contain child passengers from the same bloody school. Sailing through red lights, round a blind bend knowing there's a pedestrian crossing used mainly by schoolkids and their parents round that corner. (Hint: You've bloody come from there).

You definitely need a big stick approach when dealing with idiots like this. Camera's on all traffic lights and automated violation tickets, fines and summons issues with zero tolerance or leeway for offenders is how I'd go. That or a massive cull of the population. Either would work just as well.
(3) thanks from:
19-12-2018, 08:21   #52
P_1

Theres xero enforcement. Between this and people parking on footpaths something has to happen enforcement wise or else people will start taking the law into their own hands
19-12-2018, 08:27   #53
What Username Guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_1 View Post
Theres xero enforcement.
Had a car pull in on top of me this morning while in the bus lane at Harolds Cross, which then drove the length of the bus lane where she met a Garda standing in the road at the end. He just waved her back into the general traffic lane and went back to the footpath. I understand they don't want to block up the bus lane at rush hour giving tickets, but that lady just illegally undertook 25-odd cars, nearly hit me and another cyclist, and off she goes to work, not a bother on her.
19-12-2018, 08:40   #54
Macy0161

Quote:
Originally Posted by CramCycle View Post
They can be set to only take photos from a certain point and after the lights are fully changed. They really can do it if set up right. They can also have complimentary video, for disputes, with the caveat of you dispute and are shown to be wrong, the fine is higher.
Someone should tell the UK it can't be done, given they've been in operation there for at least 25 years.

They also seem to be able to work at Luas crossings in this State.

The only reason to be anti camera for road traffic offences is to be anti enforcement full stop. Free up resources to deal with the behaviours that can't be enforced with camera's, like the oft quoted on here overtaking lane hoggers, tailgating, not making sufficient progress etc.
Advertisement
19-12-2018, 08:51   #55
Dravokivich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macy0161 View Post
Someone should tell the UK it can't be done, given they've been in operation there for at least 25 years.

They also seem to be able to work at Luas crossings in this State.

The only reason to be anti camera for road traffic offences is to be anti enforcement full stop. Free up resources to deal with the behaviours that can't be enforced with camera's, like the oft quoted on here overtaking lane hoggers, tailgating, not making sufficient progress etc.
Our traffic laws are different to theirs. It's not as simple as the council putting them up because the image will he unenforceable.
19-12-2018, 09:02   #56
hognef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravokivich View Post
Our traffic laws are different to theirs. It's not as simple as the council putting them up because the image will he unenforceable.
Not as easy, so let's just drop it altogether, eh?
(2) thanks from:
19-12-2018, 09:05   #57
Dravokivich

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognef View Post
Not as easy, so let's just drop it altogether, eh?
I never said that.
19-12-2018, 09:16   #58
TooObvious

In answer to the OP - RLJing is getting worse.

The junction from Sundrive Road onto Crumlin Road. Every light sequence you will see about 3 or 4 cars breaking the red. As mentioned previously as well, the light sequence has been changed to allow for this red light jumping. It is being facilitated and is now accepted behaviour.

The pedestrian crossing on Kevin St. Lower coming from Kevin St. Upper - every day the yellow box here is filled with cars, they then cross over the pedestrian crossing without a care whether the green man is lit up. This happens everyday. I queried a Garda about it yesterday - he was on traffic duty beside the light, and he said he was letting the cars go to maintain traffic flow - zero ****s given.

Walkinstown Avenue Junction at Longmile Road, same scenario, lights delayed to allow for constant red light jumping.
19-12-2018, 09:36   #59
ZX7R

Yes red light breaking is getting worse, also people breaking red lights and blocking yellow boxes is also very bad blocking flow of traffic, people really need to learn how to use yellow boxes and general refreshment of the rules of the road.
Thanks from:
19-12-2018, 09:42   #60
BronsonTB

OP - Maybe a poll would have been better to post to get more responses?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion