Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-02-2019, 09:26   #196
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1011 View Post
Red light cameras in many US cities increased rear-ending collisions hugely and they've been taken out in some cities due to it. Points only would stop any claims of it being a revenue measure
Only one study I can find, and to be honest, all it really seems to say is that it makes no difference to accident rates, certain types drop, others increase but overall, very little changes. https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...01457506000273
There are several issues with the study, and they admit that there are issues, particularly in regards left on red, observation etc. They also talk about 8 months of data collection but in reality, they only capture one month of data after citations started, and that was within the first three months after they were installed. The one overwhelming thing that can be said is that placement of red light cameras reduces red light running. Accidents fluctuate in their type but seemingly not so much in their severity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreeBo View Post
It'll get worse before it gets better.
And no study I can see has done enough to say this assertion is wrong, the Chicago tribune has there own one but it reads like something the Metro put together and does not appear to look at other conflating issues.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 09:29   #197
magicbastarder

they do say the number of t-bones reduced, but the number of rear-endings went up. would be curious about injury rates - a t-bone strikes me as a less pleasant crash to be in.
11-02-2019, 10:16   #198

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it was also just a non-statistically based reaction by some local politicians in a particular city because some of their constituents were annoyed with getting tickets for breaking read lights.

I would add the cameras and extend the orange phase of the sequence by 1 to 2 seconds to give better warning.

The orange phase should be longer on roads that are >50km/h in my opinion anyway.
11-02-2019, 12:08   #199
dolanbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdgeCase View Post
I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it was also just a non-statistically based reaction by some local politicians in a particular city because some of their constituents were annoyed with getting tickets for breaking read lights.

I would add the cameras and extend the orange phase of the sequence by 1 to 2 seconds to give better warning.

The orange phase should be longer on roads that are >50km/h in my opinion anyway.
The amber time is already based on the speed limit of that road.
A longer amber would be of limited use, probably better to use the Russian idea of a flashing green a couple of seconds before the Amber light and remove the pause after the red, that encourages ted light jumping.
11-02-2019, 21:58   #200
jochenstacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacoonQueen View Post
Jesus, imagine the uproar.
"It's too easy to get 12 points and be disqualified"
"Flash for cash cameras at the lights now"
"i had to break the red light"
"The amber wasn't on long enough"
"The car behind me would have rear ended me" - had a pleasant 'discussion' with someone on twitter who said he had to speed at the M7 roadworks because the trucks and buses behind him are speeding and will just rear end him if he doesn't speed.

etc
Well, I've seen the introduction of the theory test, penalty points, NCT, the RSA, the traffic corps and a drive to make drink driving socially unacceptable.
Some people will piss and moan about it, but they get waved aside and after a year most of them shut up, except for some serious cranks.
All the excuses were already wheeled out for speeding and drink driving and as the campaign said, none of them work.
This could very easily be railroaded through, because any arguments against curbing red light jumping are lost before their proponent even opens their mouth.
I say do it and be utterly Stalinistic about it.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 22:06   #201
CramCycle
A wholly unreasonable man

Went from Bray into town last Saturday afternoon, no heavy traffic on the way there or the way back but the red light jumping was as bad as rush hour, only one junction had no red light jumpers, and that was because weveryoen made it through before the light changed, it was phenomenal, it really is just the norm nowadays.
(2) thanks from:
19-02-2019, 19:43   #202
ZX7R

Saw a woman not just jump but got anoyed at waiting for the green at the railway bridge in Kildare town this afternoon, she broke the red made it have way over the bridge nearly going head on into a van.
Had to say I had to laugh at her panic ridden reversing to let the line of on coming traffic through.
(2) thanks from:
19-02-2019, 20:47   #203
trellheim

I have to say RLJs are my pet hate . Most of them do not see why it is wrong and go nuts when I accuse them of being tools
19-02-2019, 22:16   #204
magicbastarder

waiting at the lights on east wall road this morning, waiting to turn right onto east wall road (if you know the junction, this should make sense). a full three seconds after the lights had turned red for crossing traffic, and after the light had turned green for me, a flatbed truck carrying (am plucking a figure out of the air) 20 or 30 tons of reinforced concrete on the back drove through the red without any attempt at slowing.
Advertisement
23-02-2019, 08:42   #205
downtheroad

So we have the technology but there is no plan to roll it out across the country.

1,300 road users detected breaking red lights at busy Luas junction in Smithfield https://jrnl.ie/4501812
23-02-2019, 09:57   #206
AndrewJRenko

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtheroad View Post
So we have the technology but there is no plan to roll it out across the country.

1,300 road users detected breaking red lights at busy Luas junction in Smithfield https://jrnl.ie/4501812
It's much, much worse than that. It's not just that there is no plan to roll it out further. They've actually stopped prosecutions from the one and only camera that we have, because it was too much bother apparently.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...idle-g696v3fh6
Thanks from:
06-03-2019, 08:26   #207
What Username Guidelines

Something I posted on the cycling forum as well from this morning

--

Christchurch this morning, 3 cars through red from Thomas Street. I must be getting immune to it, because the first two I thought "weren't too bad", but the last was quite blatant as there were cyclists already half way across the junction.

He continues on towards Lord Edward Street, pedestrian lights go red, our hero plows on through, as a pedestrian is stepping into the road waving his arms. Good stuff. I catch up to him at the next lights and he's got his head buried in his phone, texting. Doesn't spot me, but his passenger sees me looking and gives me the two fingers, window comes down, with the usual "**** off". I hadn't even said anything, hadn't actually planned on saying anything, but when I mentioned he had just broken two red lights, I get "**** off, I broke one red light". Silly me, eh?

The kicker? There's a Garda car behind him the whole time. The frustrating reality? They saw it all, and when I motion to them about the phone, I get glared at by the Gardai, who continue on, uninterested. On the plus side, they did let me move out to go around the truck and van parked in cycle lane on double yellows though, which was nice of them.

The rest of the commute had me seriously considering whether I should give up cycling. It's becoming beyond frustrating.
08-03-2019, 10:02   #208
ongarboy

I find recently that even when the traffic lights go red, there is an increasing delay before the pedestrian lights go green. It's like the traffic planners have accepted that they have to account for increasing amounts of red light breakers.

It's worrying that the cops really don't give a s**t about it even when it happens before their very eyes.
Thanks from:
08-03-2019, 10:15   #209
What Username Guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongarboy View Post
I find recently that even when the traffic lights go red, there is an increasing delay before the pedestrian lights go green. It's like the traffic planners have accepted that they have to account for increasing amounts of red light breakers.
And this increasing delay is what gives some road users more confidence in breaking lights.
(4) thanks from:
08-03-2019, 13:59   #210
LeChienMefiant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ongarboy View Post

It's worrying that the cops really don't give a s**t about it even when it happens before their very eyes.
I've had this confirmed in writing by the council. It is by design that there is a delay for pedestrians lights.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion