Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-02-2019, 17:10   #211
Ireland trains

Irish rail need commuter/suburban trains.
Not intercity trains
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 17:10   #212
Ireland trains

Not intercity trains
11-02-2019, 17:10   #213
Ireland trains

Not intercity trains
11-02-2019, 20:23   #214
SeanW

Quad posting FTW. But Irish Rail is still sending 29000 class railcars to Sligo, Rosslare and on long distance commuter runs like Longford and Dundalk. They need IC cars to put on those services and free up the 29000s for Maynooth, M3 Parkway and so on. If not Intercity cars to free up the 29000s, they need at least some proper regional railcars.
(2) thanks from:
11-02-2019, 23:10   #215
Dats me

Is a 29000 carriage higher capacity than a 22000 carriage? If so, why?

I presumed it was because commuter trains allowed standing space like on DARTs but a poster said above that 29000 isn't designed for standing.
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 23:16   #216
devnull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats me View Post

I presumed it was because commuter trains allowed standing space like on DARTs but a poster said above that 29000 isn't designed for standing.
Well if a 29000 isn't designed for standing then I hate to think what the dozens of people in every carriage I see who are not seated are doing in rush hour!
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 09:30   #217
loyatemu

29000s must be due a refurb - the one I was on yesterday I could see the rusty metal plates under the floor and feel them moving under my foot.
Thanks from:
12-02-2019, 09:56   #218
L1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats me View Post

Its the 22000s that are not designed for the scale of standing they have. Small irregularly shaped vestibules with insufficient cooling/air circulation.

29000s have no vestibules, double leaf doors at thirds, less seats and more standing, and I think have wider aisles (narrower seats). They have significantly more capacity and lower dwell times on commuter services. But they are noisy and run down from a decade and a half of heavy use
(3) thanks from:
12-02-2019, 11:09   #219
Praetorian

I'm just a very casual observer, but why would IE be leasing over buying? Is it the only way to get capacity quickly?

Would these be 2nd hand units?

With the long term plan being to electrify some of the routes around Dublin, would this not free up a lot of dmu's for other work? I assume this isn't happening fast enough for the extra capacity needed now?
Advertisement
12-02-2019, 12:53   #220
loyatemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
I'm just a very casual observer, but why would IE be leasing over buying? Is it the only way to get capacity quickly?
It's quicker - otherwise they have to wait for trains to be built.

Quote:
Would these be 2nd hand units?
Yeah, from the UK probably

Quote:
With the long term plan being to electrify some of the routes around Dublin, would this not free up a lot of dmu's for other work? I assume this isn't happening fast enough for the extra capacity needed now?
some of the new trains are going to be bi-mode so they'll be electric where there are wires, and diesel-electric where there are not. This will allow the increase of services in advance of electrification. Existing diesel stock will probably cascade onto regional services but a lot of the carriages will probably have to be refurbished in the shortish-term.
(3) thanks from:
16-02-2019, 18:51   #221
man98

There's talk in Inchicore that we may be seeing some British Mk 4 rolling stock, or perhaps Spanish Mk 5. Plenty of Mk 4s being replaced at the moment, but I would imagine the strategy with this would be to take ICRs from Intercity routes for commuter rail - unless they intend to refit coaches for high intensity use. Any coach would have to be push/ pulled, so IÉ would have to do a complete refurbishment to their mothballed locos.
16-02-2019, 19:03   #222
devnull

Quote:
Originally Posted by man98 View Post
There's talk in Inchicore that we may be seeing some British Mk 4 rolling stock, or perhaps Spanish Mk 5. Plenty of Mk 4s being replaced at the moment,
There's not a single MK4 that has been replaced yet - they are all still in service as the new Hitachi trains are not ready quite yet to take over the mantle from them and in any case the first two rakes to be replaced with Hitachi trains are going to Wales for the expansion of services down there.

Also MK5s are new trains which are still under testing in the UK built by CAF - there is no way the brand new trains earmarked to replace older trains will be diverted to Ireland, unless you are talking about something else operating in Spain I'm not aware of, but modifying these for Irish use will be much more complicated that modifying British units.

ICRs are not suitable for commuter operations and honestly adding them onto commuter services should be a last resort as they simply don't have the capacity or standing ability that a proper commuter unit would have.
16-02-2019, 20:48   #223
man98

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
There's not a single MK4 that has been replaced yet - they are all still in service as the new Hitachi trains are not ready quite yet to take over the mantle from them and in any case the first two rakes to be replaced with Hitachi trains are going to Wales for the expansion of services down there.

Also MK5s are new trains which are still under testing in the UK built by CAF - there is no way the brand new trains earmarked to replace older trains will be diverted to Ireland, unless you are talking about something else operating in Spain I'm not aware of, but modifying these for Irish use will be much more complicated that modifying British units.

ICRs are not suitable for commuter operations and honestly adding them onto commuter services should be a last resort as they simply don't have the capacity or standing ability that a proper commuter unit would have.
The whole idea of reintroducing locos to alleviate a capacity issue which mainly affects commuter lines is bizarre really, but this is what I was told. IEPs in Britain have had their fair share of teething issues, but I would imagine a small rake of coaches could be made available so maybe it was a bit of a 'hail mary' tender by the lessor, and that they would take them as a last resort. However I suspect that if that's the only bid they'd extend the tendering process. Ideally they should be looking for a medium distance commuter workhorse which will act as a stopgap until 2030, when we'll probably see the next big tranche of stock replacement.
Thanks from:
16-02-2019, 21:55   #224
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by man98 View Post
There's talk in Inchicore that we may be seeing some British Mk 4 rolling stock, or perhaps Spanish Mk 5. Plenty of Mk 4s being replaced at the moment, but I would imagine the strategy with this would be to take ICRs from Intercity routes for commuter rail - unless they intend to refit coaches for high intensity use. Any coach would have to be push/ pulled, so IÉ would have to do a complete refurbishment to their mothballed locos.
Well unless they get a few class 66 and fit out the DVTs with Generators it has no chance. As for the Mk5 I hope not, the poor reliability and even under utilisation of the Mk4 fleet today should be a lesson. Fancy new Mk5s won't change that!
Thanks from:
17-02-2019, 15:07   #225
dowlingm

Could always acquire the former Nightstar trains (called Renaissance in VIA Rail Canada service) which are about to be replaced by Siemens trainsets. There, um, might be a bitta rust here and there

The mention of the DBSO/Gatwicks (were they not scrapped after being left to rot all those years) does bring up a salient point though - any foreign stock would likely require significant mods - not just track regauging but compatibility with signals, train radio, maybe some accessibility mods. Depending on how well or how badly done that is, you could end up with a bake. Better to ensure you are making best use of what you have before going shopping (glances meaningfully at Nenagh Branch)

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion