Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-02-2019, 23:38   #61
iamtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
Don't be so childish.....

Of course it's hard but 6 accepted my request and cancelled this as they arrived at the main road entrance just outside to the race course.

That's not on.

Don't get you started on bus drivers! What's that got to do with taxi complaints.
this thread was not a general taxi bashing thread, it was a specific complaint and the op was asking for advice.
I said you were hijacking when you mentioned abuse of bus stops and you said you something about getting elderly and wheelchairs getting off safely so I assumed you were a bus driver.
Word of advise, don't bother using mytaxi after a nightclub or concert or match breaks. Taxi drivers will not wait for you to show up when there's lots of passengers.
Its not nessisarily a taxi driver complaint as much as it is a MyTaxi complaint. Usually a driver will accept a booking head to the destination them realise there's loads of people looking for taxi and just cancel your request.
Too many people think mytaxi is the only way to get a taxi these days, in some instances its easier to go the traditions route. And in general people that can't get a taxi on mytaxi doesn't mean there's a shortage of taxis, try one of the other companies they might not be as busy or use your arm, or a rank even!
Advertisement
11-02-2019, 16:46   #62
Marcusm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losty Dublin View Post
I can't speak for other drivers but when I was in the trade and on the way to a booked pickup and saw somebody trying to hail and asked me, I'd let them know I was on my way elsewhere but if they were en route then yeah I would. Different story if you were doubling back but if it was handy then hell yeah, why not.

Some canny base staff at cab firms would do similar with their drivers; if they knew you could pick up a fare en route to another fare then they'd get you to do both.

Sue me if you want for doing this
I see this works on a prebooked time based call - say a 7:30pm pickup but on the App it’s generally for immediate vicinity so wouldn’t, to my mind, be appropriate.
11-02-2019, 20:49   #63
Mr.Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeyman View Post
I always thought they didn't have to accept the fare until you actually sat in the car?
Exactly.
A driver cannot refuse you once you are in the car (unless of course the journey is more than 30km then he/she can , or if the passenger is unruly or drunk
12-02-2019, 18:16   #64
usernamegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Frame View Post
Exactly.
A driver cannot refuse you once you are in the car (unless of course the journey is more than 30km then he/she can , or if the passenger is unruly or drunk
Even before you're in the car he can't refuse you.
12-02-2019, 20:07   #65
pgj2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernamegoes View Post
Even before you're in the car he can't refuse you.

you can be refused for countless reasons.
Advertisement
12-02-2019, 22:28   #66
usernamegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgj2015 View Post
you can be refused for countless reasons.
In the context of the discussion I think it was clear I was talking about refusal based on destination under 30kms.

Of course they can refuse to take you if your carrying a bloody human head.
13-02-2019, 16:57   #67
Spook_ie

Quote:
In the context of the discussion I think it was clear I was talking about refusal based on destination under 30kms.

Of course they can refuse to take you if your carrying a bloody human head.
Or if you are "deemed" to be too boisterous, loud, rabble rousing, risk for the driver etc. etc.

Driver can also refuse you service if you refuse to show that you can pay for the fare, usually interpreted as "cash on the dash"

My favorite is when people try to negotiate a lower fare, tell them it's on the meter and that I believe they are a flight risk and refuse them.
13-02-2019, 17:03   #68
Credit Checker Moose

I have never ever been asked for the money up front.
13-02-2019, 17:16   #69
Spook_ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Credit Checker Moose View Post
I have never ever been asked for the money up front.
Just because you haven't doesn't mean you can't.
Advertisement
13-02-2019, 17:24   #70
Credit Checker Moose

It just seems to be a untish move to refuse people.
13-02-2019, 17:26   #71
Spook_ie

Quote:
It just seems to be a untish move to refuse people.
Fares and receipts
Under Part 3 of the Taxi Regulation Act 2013, it is an offence for a taxi or hackney driver to charge you more than the maximum fee shown on the meter or the fee agreed at the start of the journey. If you feel you have been overcharged, you are entitled to make a complaint about the taxi driver.

It is an offence if you do not pay the agreed fare or maximum fare shown on the taximeter. The driver is entitled to ask you to prove that you can afford to pay the fare before the journey begins. If you cannot prove this, they can refuse to take you on the journey.

You are entitled to receive a printed receipt at the end of a taxi journey upon payment. The receipt should detail the date, duration of the journey, distance, amount paid and vehicle licence number.
13-02-2019, 17:28   #72
Credit Checker Moose

How often would you ask to see proof of funds? Or would it be only certain people that would be typically asked?
13-02-2019, 17:30   #73
Spook_ie

Quote:
How often would you ask to see proof of funds? Or would it be only certain people that would be typically asked?
Depends what mood I'm in and how long since the last bollix under payed or ran.

EDIT can also depend on the estimated fare, I wouldn't bother too much on local fares but if I thought it was a higher fare then I'd be wanting to know you could pay.

Last edited by Spook_ie; 13-02-2019 at 17:33.
Thanks from:
13-02-2019, 17:36   #74
usernamegoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook_ie View Post
Or if you are "deemed" to be too boisterous, loud, rabble rousing, risk for the driver etc. etc.

Driver can also refuse you service if you refuse to show that you can pay for the fare, usually interpreted as "cash on the dash"

My favorite is when people try to negotiate a lower fare, tell them it's on the meter and that I believe they are a flight risk and refuse them.
Most people wouldn't have an issue with the legitimate reasons for refusal (although I hate having to get cash just for a taxi when I use card the rest of the night loved the days when I could get a Hailo home, not longer possible as there are many fewer taxis and more passengers. Bring on Uber-style ridesharing)

People have a problem with drivers who commit criminal offences by unreasonably refusing a fare based on a destination under 30km or use a pretext of a legitimate excuse to for refusal as cover for an illegal refusal like I think you may be implying.
Thanks from:
13-02-2019, 17:48   #75
Spook_ie

Quote:
Most people wouldn't have an issue with the legitimate reasons for refusal (although I hate having to get cash just for a taxi when I use card the rest of the night loved the days when I could get a Hailo home, not longer possible as there are many fewer taxis and more passengers. Bring on Uber-style ridesharing)

People have a problem with drivers who commit criminal offences by unreasonably refusing a fare based on a destination under 30km or use a pretext of a legitimate excuse to for refusal as cover for an illegal refusal like I think you may be implying.
I'm implying nothing other than saying you need to be very sure of why a driver refuses you before you go off half cocked, remember as soon as you start arguing it gives them the right to refuse you for being threatening.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion