Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-02-2019, 08:57   #3586
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

The more GAI miss their launch dates and operate their routes inefficiently the increasingly fascinated I become about the tenders. I surely can’t be the only one?
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 09:15   #3587
soundman45

Dates are being put back as they cannot recruit experienced drivers, if you are a D licence holder they will hire you on the spot if you call into the depot, they cannot train new drivers fast enough to fill the numbers needed, and surprisingly a huge number of drivers have already packed it in and gone to DB to do the same job but get the proper pay and condition that drivers deserve.
10-02-2019, 10:00   #3588
AngryLips

Has anyone else noticed how filthy the outside of the new GA busses are? This doesn’t bode well for how the interiors will hold up over time.
Thanks from:
10-02-2019, 10:13   #3589
john boye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryLips View Post
Has anyone else noticed how filthy the outside of the new GA busses are? This doesn’t bode well for how the interiors will hold up over time.
Funnily enough, I only remarked to myself recently how all the ones I've seen during the recent bad weather have looked pretty spotless. I'm not seeing them everyday though.
10-02-2019, 10:19   #3590
Stephen15

Quote:
I've noticed a few that were quite dirty, but I've also noticed a similar number of DB buses that were similarly dirty at the same time. During the winter vehicles are generally more susceptible to picking up dirt and grime. I would imagine they are washed every night as is generally industry practice.
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 10:24   #3591
punisher5112

See a lot going around with considerable damage to the bodies.

Certain routes get dirtier then others and there was a day a few weeks back db had issues with a wash one of the nights.

If there is a longer hold up then the 155 will be longer waiting to come in also.
10-02-2019, 10:40   #3592
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112 View Post
If there is a longer hold up then the 155 will be longer waiting to come in also.
The 18 and 76/a aren't moving until the 24th March from what I believe so that will be when the 155 starts I'd imagine. I believe they are waiting for the delivery of 8 more new SGs.
10-02-2019, 10:42   #3593
StreetLight

https://mobile.twitter.com/GoAheadIr...29564892643329

In response to a Twitter query on the takeover of the 18 route, Go Ahead state that the 24th of March is the date.
10-02-2019, 14:21   #3594
GM228

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlekSmart View Post
No thanks,I prefer the centrifugal force which comes from going round & round.
A well known phrase "all talk...." comes to mind

Seriously though if you feel so strongly about the subject I fail to see why you don't make the very basic initial first steps to get the information you seek and see how it goes? If you are willing to just ride the merry go round then it is unlikely what you seek will come to the public domain, ever.

Quote:
Having ordinary decent folk,resort to challenging arcane Legal precedent stretching back centuries,is not where a 21st Century Public Transport Authority should be,in terms of Public Accountability.
Arcane?

You do realise that most common law develops over time don't you? It's not a case of a 100 year old rule being followed to the letter, rather the origins of a principle, doctrine, rule etc may date back a long time, but are regularly tested, modified, enhanced (or simply upheld) as times change. The historical jurisprudence in any particular field can be very interesting, but quite different today.

Some of the most prominent court decisions on matters concerning commercial sensitivity have occurred in very recent years, yes in the 21st century, not centuries ago, cases involving discovery regularly deal with the issue when applying the principles of relevance and necessity seeking discovery of commercially sensitive documents. For example the 2013 Supreme Court Framus Ltd & Ors vs C.R.H Plc & Ors [2013] IESC 23 case is a recent case confirming the principles of commercial sensitivity.

FOI is no different, the 2013 Supreme Court Governors of the Hospital for the Relief of Poor Lying in Women vs Information Commissioner [2013] 1 I.R. 1 case is a authorative case on the issue of FOI and the public interest and is the case which confirmed the ICO does not have the authority to make something a public interest, the interest must be a genuine established public interest, not an interest of yours.

I really don't understand why people slam laws as archaic or slam them when they simply don't understand or accept their reasoning, history and modern application. The various principles are well grounded and well discussed in the modern era, our (and others) judiciary have deemed them appropriate and continue to uphold them.

Quote:
In reality,it should be up to JJ Kavanagh,the Go-Ahead Group,or whichever Tenderer desires a cloak of secrecy around their business,to justify this,rather than the General Public being forced to head for the 4 Courts.
They don't have to justify it unless someone makes a FOI request, that is the law.

Quote:
Being forced to submit a FoI request,to access the mundane specifications of a Public Bus Service Contract is about the least democratic thing a Citizen of any Republic should have to do.
Yes being "forced" to make a FOI request is such a non democratic inhumane thing to do, mite even be a breach of some right, mayby a case stated to the ECHR or the ECJ is the appropriate course of action, oh wait, that's right it's an accepted measure under statute, common law and within the principles of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union or for example under the UNECE Aarhus Convention in relation to Environmental information.

Quote:
I'll just have to wait it out,until the Authority eventually has to make it's choice.

It all comes to those who wait...even,occasionally,a Bus.
What choice? They have already stated they won't be released. You may be waiting a long time for any other choice.
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-02-2019, 15:24   #3595
ax586

Quote:
They had a problem a while back with the washer..but when it's working they get washed every night
Thanks from:
10-02-2019, 15:54   #3596
Yer Da sells Avon

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman45 View Post
Dates are being put back as they cannot recruit experienced drivers, if you are a D licence holder they will hire you on the spot if you call into the depot, they cannot train new drivers fast enough to fill the numbers needed, and surprisingly a huge number of drivers have already packed it in and gone to DB to do the same job but get the proper pay and condition that drivers deserve.
Dates are being put back as they don't have enough buses. There are always plenty of spare drivers sitting in the canteen, so there's no driver shortage. The driving school is currently winding down and the instructors who came over from the UK are going back soon (it'll start up again in a few months in preparation for the Bus Éireann routes).

Pay is on par with other private operators - Dublin Bus wages are just extraordinarily high. However, Go-Ahead will have no choice but to bridge the gap. Otherwise they're just going to end up providing expensive training to future Dublin Bus drivers. Among the drivers who've applied to Dublin Bus are quite a few people who arrived at Ballymount with B licences a few months ago. A few Sundays with DB and they'll have that training indemnity bond paid off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punisher5112
See a lot going around with considerable damage to the bodies.
Inexperienced drivers are inevitably going to have bumps and scrapes, especially when they have to drive those long and cumbersome single-deckers through narrow country roads. The aforementioned shortage of buses means that Go-Ahead has been a bit slow in getting scratches and dents fixed.
10-02-2019, 16:25   #3597
Stephen15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yer Da sells Avon View Post
Dates are being put back as they don't have enough buses. There are always plenty of spare drivers sitting in the canteen, so there's no driver shortage. The driving school is currently winding down and the instructors who came over from the UK are going back soon (it'll start up again in a few months in preparation for the Bus Éireann routes).

Pay is on par with other private operators - Dublin Bus wages are just extraordinarily high. However, Go-Ahead will have no choice but to bridge the gap. Otherwise they're just going to end up providing expensive training to future Dublin Bus drivers. Among the drivers who've applied to Dublin Bus are quite a few people who arrived at Ballymount with B licences a few months ago. A few Sundays with DB and they'll have that training indemnity bond paid off.
I've heard they'll be recruiting again in March for B licence holders. I've heard but I'm not sure if it's true that GAI are offering drivers better hours such as more weekends off than DB but obviously with the drawback of lower pay. Also DB seem to have more perks and increments such as free GP care for themselves and a family member, free bus travel and discounts on rail aswell as better pensions which may make it more attractive for older drivers as I've noticed a lot of the GAI drivers seem to be younger than their DB counterparts.

Is there a spare rota in GAI where drivers are only given 24 hours notice of their shift?
10-02-2019, 16:52   #3598
Yer Da sells Avon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen15 View Post
Is there a spare rota in GAI where drivers are only given 24 hours notice of their shift?
There are spare rotas, north and south, but spare drivers tend to get duties allocated to them before the start of the week, depending on what's available. If they aren't given a duty, they're marked down as 'SP' (spare) for that day, and will know their start time in advance (it could be as early as 4:40am or as late as 4pm). A spare shift is usually eight hours long, but it could overrun if someone calls in sick at the last minute and a spare driver who happens to be in the canteen, and knows the route, is given that duty.
Thanks from:
10-02-2019, 17:26   #3599
punisher5112

db doctor isn't free but it is there for the kids and spouse.

It works out at around €150 for the year.
(2) thanks from:
12-02-2019, 15:17   #3600
Stephen15

So GAI have confirmed it appears that the 18 and 76/a will transfer on the 24th March

https://twitter.com/GoAheadIreland/s...645996544?s=19
(2) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion