Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some videos I took recently...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Found this trapped inside a wine bottle at the bottom of a stream a few weeks ago...

Video is just after cracking the bottle open...I wonder how many weeks / months / years he/she was inside...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Recording of bats on bat detector around the house last night

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

excellent--I love crouching outside and having the bats fly right over me, around me---off to investigate bat detectors, thx

Will get some more done and get it narrowed down to the types. Heard the Leisler's Bat tonight one of the loudest and very distinctive long clicks. I see them flying around most night and have been curious to know what they are.

Common and Soprano Pipistrelles by the sounds of it recorded 45 and 55 kHz

• Advertisement

what detector do you have Spookwoman?

Magenta bat detector 5

taken out my front window earlier--something grabbing a finch--only chaffies and greenies there.Likely sparrowhawk? Merlin?
    8 seconds slowed down to 1/4 time

first ever STOAT sighting out the front there now.He was jumping up at the magpies and pigeons (didn't catch that on vid tho) .
    Video slowed half speed.Checked thru binoculars, white breast and dark tail, definitely not mink

MeteoritesEire great video. You could loose hours watching them. Used to have mink living in the old dry stone wall at the old house. the wall was 20 feet from the patio doors and they were not bothered by us. I remember when they had young it was great to watch them play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Capercaille

first ever pine marten sighting out the front there now.He was jumping up at the magpies and pigeons (didn't catch that on vid tho) .
    Video slowed half speed.Checked thru binoculars, white breast and dark tail, definitely not mink

I think it looks more like a stoat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Would look even more so if the video was played at normal speed I think.

Stoat i think as well reddish coat, white chest and black tip on tail. 30cm length
    Pine marten seem darker and 45cm length

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭trebor28

spookwoman wrote: »
    Stoat i think as well reddish coat, white chest and black tip on tail. 30cm length
    Pine marten seem darker and 45cm length

I thougt the same though I am on a phone, magpies looked huge compared to it.

you are likely all correct.I thought the stoat had much more white all down its' front but they do have just the white breast plate at some stage of development or randomly.Size does seem to give it away, this was quite small

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Stoat it is I'm afraid, absolutely typical behaviour as well !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I wouldn't be disappointed with a Stoat!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

first ever pine marten sighting out the front there now.He was jumping up at the magpies and pigeons (didn't catch that on vid tho) .

its a stoat.

LOL-I've changed the name of it---we are all in aGREEMENT , it's a stoat.I was and still am thrilled to have seen it.Never seen one before and he (or she) was giving the birds a bit of excitement jumping around trying to catch them and then scurrying away from them as well.
    great fun

LOL-I've changed the name of it---we are all in aGREEMENT , it's a stoat.I was and still am thrilled to have seen it.Never seen one before and he (or she) was giving the birds a bit of excitement jumping around trying to catch them and then scurrying away from them as well.
    great fun
    I'd be delighted as well no matter stoat mink etc. They are not something you see often and seeing them in action is a real treat :)

• Advertisement

in regular speed
    I slowed it down originally cuz the little fella was moving so quickly.
    Shame I couldn't have got closer

in regular speed
    I slowed it down originally cuz the little fella was moving so quickly.
    Shame I couldn't have got closer

Seeing it in full speed just shows just how much character they have. Fiesty little buggers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Bsal

Not my video but its great, a birds eye view onboard a BOP

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

Starlings bathing at seafront in Greystones.
    Had to add some music to get rid of the wind noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

cscook wrote: »
    Starlings bathing at seafront in Greystones.
    Had to add some music to get rid of the wind noise.
    Lovely video,but I would rather hear the wind,sorry but music on natures videos don't impress me,well done and thanks.

would rather hear the wind too LOL

here's another thats not mine but rather cool

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

There's wind and then there's WIND! Normally, in fact, I wouldn't add music, but I hadn't thought to turn the mic down before recording, and with half my RAM dead :(, video editing to reduce the volume wasn't an option .

Didn't realise I had video's this until I got home reason why it keeps changing picture is I was changing the settings on the camera trying to get a decent shot. Better than nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

Sparrowhawk having a shower in London:

[Not my video]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

I got an SVC200 cam for the bike. I thought it might be fun to try it out on the birds feeding in the garden. As it's very wide angle I set up just 24 cm from the fat ball and here is the result;

http://youtu.be/e3txv8ybhBE

The cage is to keep the larger birds at bay.

Advertisement