Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Autumn 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Dazzlingly bright and blue skies and ocean. And a shivery chill in the air. A slight breeze set to blast us later, in what met ie defines as a west coast event

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today was a beautiful autumn day in Meath, almost unbroken sunshine all day.

The wind is wildening out here now. A wet and breezy night ahead.

west mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Gonzo wrote: »
    today was a beautiful autumn day in Meath, almost unbroken sunshine all day.

same in Dublin 5 after the rain this morning cleared off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

After a fairly ok afternoon its turned into a wet and windy night here in Castlebar.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Winds whipping up here in North Clare,was going to go out watching owls, but I'll leave them alone tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Unreal winds here in South tipp!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

That looks like the warm front going through, heavier rain from the cold front to follow and stronger winds. Picking up on the W coasts.

Windy from the S here near Tralee. 12.3C , not much rain here from this yet.

Fv1UOzw.png

rafales_uk_ujj4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Winds picking up in cork city, cork airport reporting gusts of 38kts but it has gotten stronger since that report half an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Belmullet gusting up to 54kts in the midnight reports and Mace Head hitting 51kts as it did an hour earlier. A wet and breezy night here in Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Is it true we are going to have an ex hurricane on Tuesday??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Is it true we are going to have an ex hurricane on Tuesday??

Unlikely, latest models suggest it will hold off (as in the centre of it) to our NW, however it will deliver a breezy day as the windfield is impressively large.

Wild, wilder, wildening..wet.

It had been a while since the last gale but the roaring and ranting are familiar sounds out here. "Ah yes I remember it well"

And a couple more days of strong winds ahead. With a mention of thunder added in.

Interesting times we live in. Normal equinoctial autumn weather. So all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very sunny day in Sligo.

Clear blue skies until now.

7 and a half hours

Much sunnier than forecast

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Heavy hail shower just now in cork city, big enough hails too.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Carol25

Sunset from Rinville last week. Overall a very good Autumn in the west. Not too wet. Will miss the hours brightness in the evening when the hour changes tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Brief but heavy shower here in Galway city, some hail too.

There are high winds out here and set to last a while. Up to Force 8 predicted. The ocean is magnificent.

west mayo

and sudden din of hail or ferocious rain - or both. Incredible noise..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,058 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some heavy showers off the west coast. Coastal areas of Mayo may see some lightning after

and that's a close to our Summer and Autumn.... for me anyway. I always feel a sadness on the last bright day of the year. A kind of loss for those lovely long Spring and Summer days. I was out walking around my limit of 5km today, local fields and lanes, thinking that the last time I did this it was during the first lockdown with the lovely warm dry bright weather we had then and everything blooming. I got so many wild flower cuttings for my garden , comfrey, wild woodbine etc.
    Its so different now, no gardening for a few months, no hiking up in the Mourne mountains. I'm dreading this Winter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I always feel a sadness on the last bright day of the year.
    Funny that I was just saying this evening that I cant believe that the clocks are going back tonight. I think it is because I have been out a lot recently and the weather has been quite good and bright. I'm at my best when I am doing a few projects during the winter, made 30 birdhouses with my young fella recently and been making a few things for the garden, next on the list is a big insect hotel and will have a go at making a few bat houses, made a bat nursery before but only got a few birds in it :pac:

Been a great day here today, surprised how fine it was, cool breeze with sunshine for much of it and just a few quick moving side swipes from showers. Rosy cheeks from being out all day, made a new walkway down by my ponds, creating a short version of a woodland walk and a hide for wildlife photography.

Got up to 13.7C and currently 9.4C

FQWlfBi.jpg?1

kMIrrMd.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

A clear night in wexford/ Moon is shining brightly.

Winter has great beauty and challenge. Far more so than summer and spring. Even with the effect it has on mood etc.

A natural alternation. Like day and night. Each a beauty.

And a day at a time. Seeing what comes. Just now a wild time out here. But that has beauty too. Sheer exuberant energy in the gale.

And the battering of hail.

Then there will be peace. A smiling sun.

The beauty by day of the rumpled ocean, wind- ruffled. Beyond our control!

Firelight and candlelight.

Hot soup and warm jerseys.

Bulbs pushing small green shoots , ready to flower at the darkest time. When the hedgerows are bare and sere, wind stripped.

Face to the gale! Wind-walking. Life!

West mayo offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Same here in south Dublin. A very bright moon. Chilly enough out now but calm.

Funny that I was just saying this evening that I cant believe that the clocks are going back tonight. I think it is because I have been out a lot recently and the weather has been quite good and bright. I'm at my best when I am doing a few projects during the winter, made 30 birdhouses with my young fella recently and been making a few things for the garden, next on the list is a big insect hotel and will have a go at making a few bat houses, made a bat nursery before but only got a few birds in it :pac:

FQWlfBi.jpg?1

kMIrrMd.jpg?1

lovely photos!
    Bug/insect hotels are the best fun to make. I made 2 huge ones in the last few weeks an am thrilled the way they turned out! It brings out your inner child! I used old red bricks, straw, chestnuts, pine cones, tubes, moss, an old birds nest I found, dried up sticks and wood. I topped it off with an old railway beam. I'm not good at posting photos but it looks pretty good. I made a 2nd one beside my pond (which has a huge frog in it for the Winter) . I also made a hibernaculum for the frog which is like an underground shelter full of sticks, stones etc. Mad the things we find to do in the garden but its so therapeutic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭daniel_t1409

Weird, now the wind has picked up and heard rain bashing against the window. Changed quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm dreading this Winter.

Winter should be a beautiful time of the year, crisp blue skies and dazzling sunshine, frosts layered on the grass and bark of trees, that orange glow from an early sunset. Other times snow showers or the excitement of seeing bands of rain turn to snow, lampost watching at night and then the vibrant orange glow in the snow and skies by night. Unfortunately we rarely ever see proper winter weather in this country and end up with endless mild Atlantic muck most of the time and that's why we dread winter. Hopefully we will finally experience some proper winter days this year, even if it's just for a few days. It's well overdue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

One bout of thunder and lightning in Galway. Quite prolonged thunder.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I also made a hibernaculum for the frog which is like an underground shelter full of sticks, stones etc.

That's a new one for me, come across the odd frog and get spawn in spring time , have a few areas with rocks and old tree trunks and branches set aside but nothing as good as the pictures I am seeing when I looked it up.

Another project for me :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Had an intense hail shower here about noon today. Thought they were going to break the front windows at one point such was the racket.

New Moon

Advertisement