Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Our Summer Visitors

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

Huge amounts of swallows and a few swifts in the Swords area today.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

Heard the first cuckoo up the Dublin hills yesterday, very late again this year, thought I’d missed it

Great to hear

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We have a family of starlings nesting in the eaves of the house with a SE aspect. Starlings have been there for a couple of years now.
    We've a swift nextbox on the wall and had hoped that they would take to it (any time they looked around they would seem to prefer the eaves only to find they were occupied.
    This afternoon heard a bit of a squabble and looked out window to see a swift being attacked by the two adult starlings. The swift seemed to have fallen to the ground and the starlings would go for it any time it moved.
    I went out and managed to give it time to get back in the air and away (with the two starlings chasing it).
    Hopefully that won't put the swifts off our location. (Need to block up the holes in the eaves regardless!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

Mad carry on with the swallows this year. We have 2 in the coal shed every year and they arrived as usual and set up camp. Then a couple of weeks later another swallow arrived and they seem to be fighting ever since. I've seen them many times chasing away the extra swallow (At least I assume this is what is happening) I passed the shed right now and it sounded like there was a small war going on inside. I opened the door and 3 very agitated swallows flew out. Any idea what is going on with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

Now the summer is almost over (per equinox etc), just to record that after seeing a breathtaking number of swallows swarming low over the water and rushes and in the skies over Lough Derg on Wednesday evening last week, I now haven’t seen any for the last two days. Au revoir mes amies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I counted 34 swallows on the wires outside the house yesterday evening - it was a lovely day for the start of their massive flight - great to see so many fledged around our barns and 3 just fledged earlier in the week - little latecomers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

It's bittersweet seeing the Swallows go but on the plus side I saw a dozen or so Brent Geese up near Drogheda yesterday which was a lovely sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

Having noted the general swallow exodus from here a week or so ago, I have since seen three or four stragglers, most recently one lonely soul yesterday. As much as we mark the earliest sightings, it would be good to know from others across Ireland when the last few are seen...

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭whodafunk

The last few I saw in Dublin last Tuesday 22/09 flying up pretty high in the sky heading south/west direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Saw maybe a dozen heading in a southerly direction from North Wexford today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

The last two that I saw here in Mayo was on Thursday evening last(22nd) flying high over the River Moy.
    The main exodus occurred around the 18th and 19th in my own locality this year where they had been gathering restleslly on wires during the previous week or two. I always keep an eye on them going as well as arriving and my own experience over the years is that September 20th is roughly around the average date that the majority of them depart here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

friend had a visit from a few goldfinches today
    magnificent specimens so they are

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Small flock of Swallows on wires near Enniscorthy, Co.Wexford yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Mine left yesterday, au revoir until next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

This year we only had one pair of swallows, at this end of the island anyway. Last year there were very many .

Our lot only left today. They left some mess in the shed after them.

Edit. Still one knocking around this morning.

Spotted 2 Swallows over Glasnevin today

• Registered Users Posts: 11 QuareHog

Seen one swallow flying over today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

First contingent of Sand Martins have arrived at a quarry near my parents place in North Kildare

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I heard my first chiffchaff of the year over the weekend (north Offaly)... keeping half an eye on the telephone wires for the first swallows and martins... lucky you who've already spotted them! A bit of normality in the world :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

QuareHog wrote: »
    Seen one swallow flying over today.

One tried to get in to my shed today, first one we've seen so far (a little north of Athlone). Earlier arriving back here compared to last year.

Spotted 3 swallows over the river Liffey/city centre today. Nice to see on such a lovely afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

First 2 swallows in the farmyard this evening,
    West of the Shannon.

More to arrive, 5 nests at my house and one in dog kennel.
    Up in the farmyard they take residence in every building.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Some influx of summer migrants in and around my parents place in North Kildare these last 2 days. Swallows,Blackcaps and even a pair of Wheaters on hilly ground near the Wicklow border.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Saw 5 Swallows surfing the wind over the river Lee while ago and Willow warblers singing around the garden since yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

First lonely single swallow over my veg patch in the NW today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Bsal

2 Swallows chasing a Buzzard today near Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭OldRio

First swallow yesterday near Fenagh Leitrim. Flew over the farm. Its the earliest we have recorded them in the last 15 years. Magical.
    They are in for shock when this weather changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Bsal wrote: »
    2 Swallows chasing a Buzzard today near Swords.

Have seen this in the past.

Like it, only arrived and setting out their stall against the biggest guy in the neighborhood :)

• Advertisement

Swallows arrived this morning and straight into the shed where their nest is. They arrived on the 11th of April last year so just three days early.

Edit They seem to have buggered off again.

Advertisement