Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment - Applying to join An Garda Siochana

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Sorry for asking but whats the best preparation that you can do. At the moment I'm training my ass off trying to lost the weight but what else can be done.

what stage are you at? Just waiting to apply or preparing for the medical?

Dr_MaSoN wrote: »
    May not even be that as one of two have mentioned:confused:

yeah the only thing that is certain is that which has already happened

• Registered Users Posts: 53,758 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

at the moment im in limbo

i have a job which i love but its not a long term job, my contract runs out on the 19th december,im not sure will i be kept on

but i really want to get into the garda

is there any talk of a month when they'll start Recruiting

they've met their quota so i guess not anytime soon?

at the moment im in limbo

i have a job which i love but its not a long term job, my contract runs out on the 19th december,im not sure will i be kept on
    but i really want to get into the garda
    is there any talk of a month when they'll start Recruiting
    they've met their quota so i guess not anytime soon?

You know what, it used to be so predictable, right down to the exact week but now, well not so much.
    At the moment it is looking very likely to be next year before another recruitment drive commences. The month? well some say early in the year because it will take so long to get the number of applicants through the entire process. More say late in the year because they have so many people ready and able to get into Templemore that they don't need to interview people for some time to come.

It is just so unpredictable. The last drive was in May this year and they appear to have the number of applicants for next year already due to backlogs from previous years so it really is anyone's guess right now, unfortunately, nobody knows for definite

kerry4sam wrote: »
    You know what, it used to be so predictable, right down to the exact week but now, well not so much.
    At the moment it is looking very likely to be next year before another recruitment drive commences. The month? well some say early in the year because it will take so long to get the number of applicants through the entire process. More say late in the year because they have so many people ready and able to get into Templemore that they don't need to interview people for some time to come.

It is just so unpredictable. The last drive was in May this year and they appear to have the number of applicants for next year already due to backlogs from previous years so it really is anyone's guess right now, unfortunately, nobody knows for definite

thanks alot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭EpiphoneSpecial

Is the Garda Reserve worth doing while waiting for another recruitment campaign? for the experience, training and for application to the Garda....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Is the Garda Reserve worth doing while waiting for another recruitment campaign? for the experience, training and for application to the Garda....

Absolutely worth doing. It will give you an insight into the job we do before you go for training and put up with the crappy wages as a student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

TheNog wrote: »
    Absolutely worth doing. It will give you an insight into the job we do before you go for training and put up with the crappy wages as a student.

Is the recruitment procedure quicker for the reserves?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭keith101

just recentlt got two penalty points fo speeding....96km in a 60km zone.. was really dissapointed as their my first two and i wanted to keep a clean licence..but my question is will this go against me when applying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

keith101 wrote: »
    just recentlt got two penalty points fo speeding....96km in a 60km zone.. was really dissapointed as their my first two and i wanted to keep a clean licence..but my question is will this go against me when applying..

no, as long as your honest and dont try and hide it from them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

It looks like they may freeze PSNI recruitment, and I think those in the process of being recruited by the army have been told their details will be kept on file but nothing else. I suppose those of us hoping to join the Gardai should just be happy recruitment is still continuing, even if its slower than we'd like.

As someone else pointed out recruitment was going to slow anyway as Garda numbers are near the government target.

It is a little disheartening though. I've applied for the Garda Reserve, and am trying to get my fitness levels up. Trying to think of tangible things I can do to help my application rather than just getting down about things.

With increased competition for fewer places though its not going to be a bad recession for those who run the courses for the apptitude tests and interview stages! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Celtic07

i-digress wrote: »
    It looks like they may freeze PSNI recruitment, and I think those in the process of being recruited by the army have been told their details will be kept on file but nothing else. I suppose those of us hoping to join the Gardai should just be happy recruitment is still continuing, even if its slower than we'd like.

As someone else pointed out recruitment was going to slow anyway as Garda numbers are near the government target.

It is a little disheartening though. I've applied for the Garda Reserve, and am trying to get my fitness levels up. Trying to think of tangible things I can do to help my application rather than just getting down about things.

With increased competition for fewer places though its not going to be a bad recession for those who run the courses for the apptitude tests and interview stages! :p

lol thats for sure:pac:

There's pretty much a consensus that next year's intakes will be taken from those already in the system, am I right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

There's pretty much a consensus that next year's intakes will be taken from those already in the system, am I right?

I'd say that's a fair assessment yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭DK47

The only consensus is here on boards, not in an official capacity. Rummers are always rife on boards, long time boardies will tell you if you dont here it from the horses mouth, dont take it as gospel, if you do, you will go mad. no one can say for sure when the next recruitment drive will take place or when it wont take place. NO OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT HAS BEEN MAD WITH REGARDS TO GARDA RECRUITMENT till there is one we all have to sit tight :)

Oh yeah I know, I've been watching these boards for a long time before I even officially joined the site. I've put my name down for a job alert when it comes through eventually, and I know this is all I can do. I know there's huge variables...I've got a lot on next year, getting married is only part of it, so I have to plan ahead to some degree. I know there is no concrete answer, but I'm just going to plan around the most probable outcome which is that I'll be waiting a long time. I think the uncertain infuriating recruitment system is part of the test, if you stick the course you have the patience to be a garda! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 bruno_12345

I applied on job alert in May of this year but wondering hows the best way to prepare. I'm going to do all the pre-test beforehand but is there anymore that I can do
    kerry4sam wrote: »
    what stage are you at? Just waiting to apply or preparing for the medical?

I applied on job alert in May of this year but wondering hows the best way to prepare. I'm going to do all the pre-test beforehand but is there anymore that I can do

The best way to prepare is read everything there is on current crime levels (AGS website), media reports, talk to individual Gardai and read and post on the ES forum to get the general idea of the job etc. and of course do the prep courses too. Anything you can think of will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

hi all quick question

i have 10 points on my licence, if i try to join the gardai or reserve force will this stop me. i was in for the psni but they saw the points and that put a stop to that, so if any one knows the answer, thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Jay112

redsurfer wrote: »
    hi all quick question

i have 10 points on my licence, if i try to join the gardai or reserve force will this stop me. i was in for the psni but they saw the points and that put a stop to that, so if any one knows the answer, thanks in advance

Howya doin!,

No that should'nt be a problem, theres a lad in my phase with the exact same amount when he joined up, didnt hamper him at all, your best bet is to behave from now on:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭redsurfer

thanks for the good news lad, i had passed everything for the PSNI and thought i be starting last sept but got turned down due to the points

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭i-ron

hi guys,
    im new to this, was just wondering whats the best way to apply for an garda siochana? publicjobs.ie or kilroy college. i applied on public jobs but i only got a confirmation email, plus someone told me this was only for the reserves. is there a difference? whats the waiting periods like at the moment. some guidance would be great. cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

i-ron wrote: »
    hi guys,
    im new to this, was just wondering whats the best way to apply for an garda siochana? publicjobs.ie or kilroy college. i applied on public jobs but i only got a confirmation email, plus someone told me this was only for the reserves. is there a difference? whats the waiting periods like at the moment. some guidance would be great. cheers

Register for the job alerts on Public jobs and when a recruitment drive opens, you will get an e-mail on how to apply.
    At the moment, the only job available is the reserves but once the full time member option becomes available, it will be up there too.
    As far as I know Kilroys are only the prep courses and nothing to do with applying.
    As for when the next drive will be, its anyones guess, some are saying Feb next year, I've heard March or April but noone knows really.

Hope this helps! :rolleyes:

thanks jwt22, so when the full time member positions become available will people registered in the reserves be notified by email? are the reserves another way to get a full member position or is it worth doing? so i suppose its just about being patient then?

cheers mate thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jwt22

thanks jwt22, so when the full time member positions become available will people registered in the reserves be notified by email? are the reserves another way to get a full member position or is it worth doing? so i suppose its just about being patient then?

cheers mate thanks for your help

No, if you apply for the reserves, it's a seperate application. Reserve members are not paid and cannot carry out all the duties full time members do. The training is only a few days or weeks.
    I havent applied for it, this is gonna be my first time going through the whole process so dont know if it's benificial to have. Most say it is but it doesnt fast-track the full time application at all.
    If you want to become a ful time member, you have to sign up on this option on public jobs and then you will be notified.
    Yep, its all about the patience, its something I'm learning a lot about with this whole thing!

not to sound like an idiot but i just cant seem to find on the website where you can apply. all i seem to find, or the only option it gives me is the reserves. thats was why i applied, i presumed it was the same. any link that you have that you could help mw out with

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Geri Boyle

not to sound like an idiot but i just cant seem to find on the website where you can apply. all i seem to find, or the only option it gives me is the reserves. thats was why i applied, i presumed it was the same. any link that you have that you could help mw out with

Hi I-Ron.
    You have to set up an account on publicjobs, then go into My Job Alerts, Create New Job Alert, Security/ Emergency Service... and then select Garda from the drop down menu.
    Hope that helps ;)

oh okay, well i did that already. i just presumed it was only for the reserves. thats what pops up when i go into my applications anyway, when i go into job alerts it just says Garda. thanks blue belle jwt22

anybody doing anything special for the garda

at the moment im working in the community

working as a youth worker assistent

will look very good on my C.V

• Advertisement

anybody doing anything special for the garda

at the moment im working in the community

working as a youth worker assistent

will look very good on my C.V

that will look good on your CV. Fair play ye for doing.

Would suggest it to others as well.

Advertisement