Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone get rid rid of all their social media?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,891 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Was never on Facebook and never on Twitter. I took a look and felt that they were awful platforms. Over the years that conclusion has been proven correct on many occasions, especially in the case of Twitter, which is one of the worst things about the web that I can think of and is absolutely riddled with the most appalling minds, spouting loathsome gibberish.

But, what ever happened to just turning stuff off? Nobody ever has to have a Twitter account, or a Facebook account, or Instagram or anything else, never mind even looking at them.

Just turn it off. Problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

Niall Harbison did and loves telling the world about it !!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

Not on Twitter, I have a Facebook page for a few different groups. I can see how Instagram can be very tough for young people. People living fake lives through the lens of a camera all for a few like and each like makes them feel better. I have WhatsApp and snapchat for keeping in touch with family and friends. Boards is good for entertainment. I dont get involved if someone doesn't like my point of view or comment because I dont really care, your arguing with a screen not face to face with a person. I'm trying to cut back on social media, leaving the phone downstairs when I go to bed, leaving it charging while having dinner with family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I love Facebook tbh. Most of my friends are active people, we're involved in various martial arts clubs (and styles). We're mostly all runners & swimmers too, so I like to see whats happening with various competitions coming up, medal presentations etc.

I love seeing where my friends are running or swimming too.

I also admin on my Judo clubs facebook page and a running page too.

I like Insta because its just mostly nice photos and almost zero drama. I'd be fairly active on it, again with my martial arts, running and swimming photos.

I've never got to grips with twitter or snap chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,758 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Tony EH wrote: »
    Was never on Facebook and never on Twitter. I took a look and felt that they were awful platforms. Over the years that conclusion has been proven correct on many occasions, especially in the case of Twitter, which is one of the worst things about the web that I can think of and is absolutely riddled with the most appalling minds, spouting loathsome gibberish.

But, what ever happened to just turning stuff off? Nobody ever has to have a Twitter account, or a Facebook account, or Instagram or anything else, never mind even looking at them.

Just turn it off. Problem solved.

I can see the appeal of Facebook so I’ll disagree there but Twitter I’m 100% with you... a pure magnet for fûckwits and attention seekers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I've never been on Facebook. I had a Bebo account for around 3 months and that put me off that sort of thing for life. I have a Twitter account because it's the only way to get a timely response from Dublin Bus. I've never tweeted anything apart from queries to DB. I do follow the John Smith Whistleblower twitter account though, as he often calls out someone I know and it's interesting to read because he's bang on the money. I can't see the appeal if Instagram at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I have a Facebook page which I really only use to interact with a couple of gardening groups I'm part of as they are a great source of inspiration & advice, we would also swap seeds & plants too. Other than that I have no other social media accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

How rid. Like rid-rid? I’ve still got a MySpace but I was a totally different person back then. Don’t even remember his login in order to deactivate the account, but suffice to say I don’t use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject

Never used Instagram,Twitter.Snapchat,Facebook,or any other thing they have out.I do use Skype once in a while to FaceTime with family,and of course Boards but that's it.Christ I seem so sheltered,heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Don't use facebook. I only use twitter for posting witty comments on thejournal and might get rid of linkedin soon, useless auld thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

How else will I give the World the impression that I'm an interesting, outgoing, lover-of-life rather than being plagued with insecurities and inner turmoil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Don't use facebook. I only use twitter for posting witty comments on thejournal and might get rid of linkedin soon, useless auld thing.

I got my current job though LinkedIn, it wasn't advertised anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Cushtie

Deleted the Facebook and Twitter apps about a year ago as I was just spending all my relaxing time on them. Me on one end of the couch on my phone herself on the other end. Telly on in the corner and no one even watching it.

Dont have Instagram or Snapchat, that's for the youngsters.

I still go on Facebook on the browser about once a week to catch up on some groups I'm a member of, mainly to do with my son who has special needs.

Now, if I could cut down the time spent on boards.... I swear that brexit thread will be the end of me, and I don't even post on it!!

I have Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. I only let people that I want see stuff so I don’t feel the need to delete any of them. I also don’t need to post anything on it that I don’t want other people to see. It’s amazing how many people forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Had facebook, but deleted the account years ago. Didn't really want to know what aunt Mary or the neighbours had for dinner or what animal cruelty story Aileen dug up today.

Boards & reddit and a few specialty fora about stuff that interests me, thats it.

Never bothered with any of the twitters, instagrams, snapchats, whatnots. But then I'm middle aged, I probably just dont get it. If I was twenty and had to be there or project a certain image just to be in the game maybe i'd have those things, too.

If it makes you sick you're probably not doing it right, OP. You're probably giving it too much weight in your perception of the world and yourself. All those yokes are great when used right, but they're not real, they cannot become life. Most of it is just a big act; like in real life only - like most things online - brighter harsher crasser. And if you spend too much time there you might mistake it for something that matters or for something real.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

For me, the worst person to be on Facebook is the person who "updates" you when they are:
    1. Boarding a flight
    2. Driving to the airport for said flight
    3. Having dinner on holiday

Note: nobody cares.

Ugh, and the picture of the "obligatory" or "cheeky" drink in the airport bar. Extra twat points if they use the word "holibobs".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Eoin wrote: »
    Ugh, and the picture of the "obligatory" or "cheeky" drink in the airport bar. Extra twat points if they use the word "holibobs".

I'm so not with it anymore. When I was still on Facebook everything was whoop whoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Use Facebook daily but primarily for posting in a few music / film groups. I am admin for one so that takes a small bit of time. Facebook groups are good for discussion about physical formats and the technical aspects of same. Handy to be able to post photos.
    I have a lot of SJW friends but have unfollowed the vast majority of them.

Twitter is primarily for promoting website posts and occasional discussion with followers / following. It's amusing to see the way some people shut down discussion and invoke blocklists.

Instagram used for following restaurants, cafés - I don't post.

Try not to spend too much on them - when commuting, the phone comes out for browsing for maybe 15/20 minutes. After that, I read a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭jmreire

Facebook really is only good for keeping in touch with distant family members who are scattered across the world or for putting up some pics of life events for the same reasons so your grandparents etc can see the pics.
    There is no other reason to be on Facebook. Its a tool for the narcissist and the bores. For me, the worst person to be on Facebook is the person who "updates" you when they are:
    1. Boarding a flight
    2. Driving to the airport for said flight
    3. Having dinner on holiday

Note: nobody cares.

Nobody, except the burglars who are following which houses and property are empty...;) And of course, insurance company's who pay a lot of attention to the where about's / activity's of claimant's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

i'll post about my holidays and drinks on facebook and you'll like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

I've gotten rid of Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Boards.ie is the only form of social media I use. Was sick of the absolute tripe people were posting up. It actually make me angry sometimes. I don't really listen or read the news anymore and you know what? I'm happier now than I've been in years. Blissful ignorance is the way to go lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

Got rid of my facebook and instagram accounts. Got sick of looking at vacuous people posting vacuous pics of their vacuous lives. I also think it is absolutely stupid to let people follow your life and know everything about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Highroad12

Closed my Facebook account a couple of years ago after I had my baby as found I was on it too much while this amazing little baby was sitting there looking at me. So that was it and it was gone. Even emailed facebook to delete all my data so there is nothing from me left on facebook.

Also couldn't stand the fakeness of people putting on a show, trying to convince themselves and the world they have a great life!

Instagram app was deleted a few months ago and i find I feel less sh!tty about myself when I'm not on it. Had been taking breaks from it intermittently anyway.

Delete SM. Best thing I ever did!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The social aspect of Boards is optional tbf.

Posting on boards is what social media covers. It's about the ability to interact with other people online.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,140 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm on Facenook mainly to keep up to date with local business special offers.
    I joined Instagram but rarely use it.
    I'm on Twotter and type my local towns name into it the odd time to keep up to date with news.
    I was on Snapchat but I changed phones and didn't put the app on the new one.

Social media has never really effected me negatively I'd say. I don't like how whiney it has become tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

CosmicFool wrote: »
    I've gotten rid of Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Boards.ie is the only form of social media I use. Was sick of the absolute tripe people were posting up. It actually make me angry sometimes. I don't really listen or read the news anymore and you know what? I'm happier now than I've been in years. Blissful ignorance is the way to go lads.

I’m with you for most of your post but I’m the exact opposite for the bolded part. I don’t get out of bed until I’ve listened to the news - part of me is hoping that the Russians have attacked or there’s been a plague of Ebola monkeys just so I don’t have to go to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I got my current job though LinkedIn, it wasn't advertised anywhere else

I got my current job by asking a lad who offered me a lift while I was strolling down the road at night if he knew of any jobs going.

After all the effort I poured into my linkedin profile I got feck all only the odd recruiter trying to hoik me into jobs I didn't want :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

But how would we cope not being able to watch Sosueme on her latest luxury holiday?? Or Holly having her adventures around town and telling us all about how much she loves unicorns.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

bluewolf wrote: »
    i'll post about my holidays and drinks on facebook and you'll like it
    Yes miss! *bows* :D
    CosmicFool wrote: »
    I don't really listen or read the news anymore and you know what? I'm happier now than I've been in years. Blissful ignorance is the way to go lads.
    I'd largely agree. Since I did very similar with ignoring the rolling news world we have today, 99% about stuff I can do nada about, or doesn't affect me, like you I feel a weight has been lifted.

I have an Arsebook account. I think. Haven't clicked into it in years. Still get the emails and "friend" suggestions, which given I'm at super sekrit settings has me wondering. Seems it's mostly people searching for my name, which can be interesting.

Twatter I only lasted a fortnight before I was temp banned, so I just deleted it.

I have whatsapp, but that's more a text alternative.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I stopped using all social media for about 8 months to see if it made any difference, and the answer was no

Advertisement