Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV Streaming Stick

• 17-02-2021 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm looking for the best deal on a tv streaming stick. Nothing fancy, just something I can connect to a HDMI port on the TV for streaming Netflix.

I had a look on Amazon but they don't ship the firestick or Roku here and Parcelmotel isn't an option anymore.

If anyone knows of something I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Or order the Firestick from Currys. Has a Netflix app.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Bravobabe

The Sky Now TV stick comes with
    Netflix, Disney, RTE & Virgin Media (TV3) apps.
    May be a cheap option depending offers (seen them in Lidl etc.).

You usually get a voucher for the Sky services (1 x month Sky Cinema pass).
    May been an option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen the Now TV sticks around in a few places alright so should be easily picked up.

Ha

An important point is the quality of your wifi signal.

If good-v. good then a stick working off wifi only will work well.

On the otherhand, if your wifi signal is not good, you could consider an android box (or similar) with an ethernet port. You could then use TP Links or similar (to use your electrical wiring & sockets) to connect to your router for better speeds.

• Advertisement

Hi

Seen these in Dunnes Stores for €19 this weekend.

Any better devices out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭newincity

Bravobabe wrote: »
    Ha

An important point is the quality of your wifi signal.

If good-v. good then a stick working off wifi only will work well.

On the otherhand, if your wifi signal is not good, you could consider an android box (or similar) with an ethernet port. You could then use TP Links or similar (to use your electrical wiring & sockets) to connect to your router for better speeds.

Can you recommend any good Android box?

Hi

There are so many on the market now

This one is highly recommended - Transpeed Android 10.0 TV Box

These suppliers has several options (The XQ Pro is €25 (reconditioned))
    https://satcity.ie/android-xbmc-kodi/
    https://www.satworld.ie/android-xbmc/
    https://www.androidtvboxesireland.com/
    https://www.adverts.ie/media-players/tv-box-x96q-2-16gb-android-10/22902933
    (I have not used these suppliers - it just came up in a Google search)

Originally I used Android boxes to turn older TV models into smart TVs
    This provided Netflix, Amazon Prime Youtube and other streaming apps. All4, RTE Player etc.

Now I have smart TV(s) with some of the Apps built in (so no longer use the android boxes).

However, I still have a Now Dongle and a Now (ruku) box, which gives Sky Services on monthly contracts (Cinema, Sports, Entertainment etc.) and also Netflix, Disney, RTE Player, All4 etc. At €19 its good value.

An android box might give you more options for additional services (as apps become available). I'm sure there is a forum/posts on here somewhere.

Firestick are also very good - but they tend to point towards Amazon products. (NOW TV push SKY)
    So if you purchase something for €19 - €25, it won't be a big gamble.

A higher model Android, may have faster chipset and have a satellite receiver (if you have a dish).

Advertisement