Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Christmas food left?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yep I still have 6 mince pies, half a pudding and a small Christmas cake to eat.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

sporina wrote: »
    I think I will abstain from that club - might loose its magic otherwise.. :)
    It's generally just something small.
    If it's the summer months, and I remember it's the 25th, I'll wear my Christmas socks, or have a turkey sandwich for lunch or something- I don't think any of us do presents/crackers/dinner every 25th. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    It's generally just something small.
    If it's the summer months, and I remember it's the 25th, I'll wear my Christmas socks, or have a turkey sandwich for lunch or something- I don't think any of us do presents/crackers/dinner every 25th. :D

My latest obsession is Turkey, ham Mayo and cranberry sauce on a fresh sub roll from Dunnes bakery.

Actually does anyone know can you get cranberry sauce all year round or is it just seasonal? I can’t picture where it will be in the aisles I know where Dunnes put it at Christmas time but I don’t recall seeing it all year.

I would have thought so, but I've never actually bought cranberry sauce unless it's Christmas. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭tscul32

We had a second Christmas dinner today. Turkey crown, ham, roasted, mash, loads of veg, stuffing and turkey gravy. The kids liked it so much they didn't even complain (too much) about drying the dishes.

Tomorrow morning the healthy eating comes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Any ideas on ways to use Christmas puddings please? I know about frying a slice in butter.… And read yesterday about trifle..yummy thought,, Assuming that that applies to them straight out of the wrappings..

I have two ..

I opened the last pack of 6 mince pies last night... The chocolates will last at least 6 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    My latest obsession is Turkey, ham Mayo and cranberry sauce on a fresh sub roll from Dunnes bakery.

Actually does anyone know can you get cranberry sauce all year round or is it just seasonal? I can’t picture where it will be in the aisles I know where Dunnes put it at Christmas time but I don’t recall seeing it all year.

Usually located with mint sauce & the likes on the condiments aisle.
    Not sure if its available all year round though, maybe in the smaller jars but wouldn't be sure on that.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

We're in uncharted waters here, Loughc. :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    We're in uncharted waters here, Loughc. :D

It was a random thought and it's gas as soon as I ask anyone does supermarkets sell cranberry sauce all year long they're like oh yeah I'm sure I've seen it... wait have I seen it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Graces7 wrote: »
    Any ideas on ways to use Christmas puddings please? I know about frying a slice in butter.… And read yesterday about trifle..yummy thought,, Assuming that that applies to them straight out of the wrappings..

I have two ..

I opened the last pack of 6 mince pies last night... The chocolates will last at least 6 months...

I think Jamie Oliver has done a couple of recipes with Christmas pud in it to use them up. Check on youtube.

• Advertisement

It was a random thought and it's gas as soon as I ask anyone does supermarkets sell cranberry sauce all year long they're like oh yeah I'm sure I've seen it... wait have I seen it...

Checked with my neighbour who works in Dunnes, apparently they do stock Chivers cranberry sauce all year round in the larger stores. But it would be a small order as less of a demand, which is understandable.

I'd never eat it myself but did think I'd seen it when picking up Mint sauce which we would buy regularly enough.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭sporina

Mayo and Cranberry Sauce?
    Oh I dunno about that - ekk.. it all sounds great bar the Mayo..

Was wondering the same myself about Cranberry Sauce as we are all out but we plan to have a Turkey/Ham dinner this weekend - we put some in the freezer at xmas..

Himself is partial to cranberry sauce so we usually have a small jar kept in stock, we currently have Dunnes own brand. We're out in the shticks so possibly harder for us to source but we manage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I have half a jar I will sell you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Eskie wrote: »
    Himself is partial to cranberry sauce so we usually have a small jar kept in stock, we currently have Dunnes own brand. We're out in the shticks so possibly harder for us to source but we manage :)

It's readily available in supermarkets all year round. Dunnes do several brand - my wife uses it weekly with chicken dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,279 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Three quarters of the second large pudding still left here but between an odd fried slice, and a daily wedge with morning coffee it'll not go to waste. The beauty of a Good homemade pudding is it's longevity.

hard to get home made fresh cranberry sauce - i did some research before buying a jar... wanted one with the least amt of sugar - Ballymaloe toped the pole - 60% cranberries while all other jared brands wer only around 40% (the rest being sugar).. and it was good - not too sweet - a lot of them are more like jam

hard to get home made fresh cranberry sauce - i did some research before buying a jar... wanted one with the least amt of sugar - Ballymaloe toped the pole - 60% cranberries while all other jared brands wer only around 40% (the rest being sugar).. and it was good - not too sweet - a lot of them are more like jam

Love Ballymaloe! :)

Love Ballymaloe! :)

love their relish - the regular one.. its unbeatable imo

love their relish - the regular one.. its unbeatable imo

Yeah their relish and Mayo are on a different level of good.

• Advertisement

Yeah their relish and Mayo are on a different level of good.

you and others might be interested to know that I was in Tesco (a Cork branch) earlier, and they still have Ballymaloe Cranberry Sauce... (need some myself for this weekend).. and even better - discovered by accident a trio pack - Cranberry Sauce/Mayo/Relish for €1.75 - a jar of Cranberry Sauce on its own is €2.99 - happy days.. lol..
    The Relish is a staple for us while a jar of Mayo has been been in this house before but 1st time for everything.. (if I start liking it too much I blame you Loughc lol)
    Our Stuffed Turkey and Ham dinner will taste even better now this weekend lol..

oh the little things that give you pleasure when times are tough.. oh well..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭pigtail33

you and others might be interested to know that I was in Tesco (a Cork branch) earlier, and they still have Ballymaloe Cranberry Sauce... (need some myself for this weekend).. and even better - discovered by accident a trio pack - Cranberry Sauce/Mayo/Relish for €1.75 - a jar of Cranberry Sauce on its own is €2.99 - happy days.. lol..
    The Relish is a staple for us while a jar of Mayo has been been in this house before but 1st time for everything.. (if I start liking it too much I blame you Loughc lol)
    Our Stuffed Turkey and Ham dinner will taste even better now this weekend lol..

oh the little things that give you pleasure when times are tough.. oh well..

They had this in my local Tesco today too! The relish is in date until 2022, if it lasts that long. I don't like cranberry sauce with my roast turkey dinner, but I love it in a sandwich toasted with brie mmmmm. Never would have spotted it if it wasn't for this heads up, so thank you.

pigtail33 wrote: »
    They had this in my local Tesco today too! The relish is in date until 2022, if it lasts that long. I don't like cranberry sauce with my roast turkey dinner, but I love it in a sandwich toasted with brie mmmmm. Never would have spotted it if it wasn't for this heads up, so thank you.

your more than welcome...

Boards is a great website in fairness.. informative and fun (helping to make this lockdown less painful)

We have ALOT left, like ALOT! We also consumed ALOT! I completely over-bought in 2020, i got it just right in 2019, so I will need to pull back in 2021. I think the gloomy 2020 caused me to go all out each week when picking up bits. And we were gifted alot in 2020 too.

1 x tub of Quality Street
    1 x Box of Tunnoks Teacakes
    1 x Box of Snowballs
    1 X large tOBLERONE
    1 X Small Cadbury Selection Box
    1 x Small Mars Selection Box
    1 x Large Lily O'Brien Box of Sweets
    1 x Packet of 6 Salted Caramel Galaxy Cake Bars
    1 x Natural Confectionery bag of Jellies

1 X lARGE Sharing bag of Chocolate M&M's
    1 x Tesco Sour Cream & onion Coated Peanuts
    1 x Ben & Jerry's Minter Wonderland Tub
    2 x Pringles
    2 x large bags chilli heatwave doritos
    2 x Terry's Chocolate Orange

We can chip away at them as the Saturday cheat day treats over the next few months haha

Chipping away at the list....

DvB wrote: »
    Was just wondering if anyone had much in the way of Christmas food (treats etc.) left over?

We have a fair amount this year, from having a nose through the cupboards last night we appear to still have:

1 and a half marzipan stollens
    6 x Cadbury selection boxes
    1 x Galaxy selection box
    1 x M&M selection box
    1 tub quality street

1 tub heroes
    1 box of cadburys eclairs (toffee's)

6 2 x large bags chilli heatwave doritos
    2 x Dunnes spiracha chilli crisps
    2 1 x Large bags Tortilla chips
    1 x box of Tayto cheese & onion crisps
    A Freezer full of party food (sausage rolls, goujons etc.)
    (all these were in expectation of having family around NYE that we had to cancel)

Alcohol wise we have way too much too, again because of the NYE get together cancellation and with me off it for a few weeks that wont change anytime soon.

How are the rest of you in terms of christmas treats?

Blitzed through ours (see above) as we've 3 chocaholics in our house (i'm guilty on the stollen though)
    Put a small dent in the alcohol on Saturday, had 5 of my bottles of IPA, so just 4 left, still a silly amount of Guinness which I'll get around to drinking eventually, and Carlsberg (which i wont touch, was bought for guests) and we've also managed to get through a bottle of baileys and opened another once since.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Aside from the half box of biscuits, a turkey crown was diced up and added to a bit of pasta, garlic and natural yogurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have gotten around to starting to eat the puddings I made for Christmas. They were GF versions of the Country women's association recipes. My god they are unreal. That and custard.

We are down to the dregs of a Hero's box, still have the comedy size dairy milk and bournville. We also have a big bag of fredos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Jude13 wrote: »
    I have gotten around to starting to eat the puddings I made for Christmas. They were GF versions of the Country women's association recipes. My god they are unreal. That and custard.

We are down to the dregs of a Hero's box, still have the comedy size dairy milk and bournville. We also have a big bag of fredos

comedy size? I thought there was only fun size, I didnt realize confectionary sizes were measured in units of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Let's see,
    A party box of Tayto cheese and onion
    A tin of Roses
    A tin of Quality Street
    Two bottles of Prosecco
    Few bottles of red wine
    One bottle of white
    A big bag of sour cream and onion pretzel christmas tree things
    A box of biscuits
    And a whole Christmas cake.

That's all :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Let's see,
    A party box of Tayto cheese and onion
    A tin of Roses
    A tin of Quality Street
    Two bottles of Prosecco
    Few bottles of red wine
    One bottle of white
    A big bag of sour cream and onion pretzel christmas tree things
    A box of biscuits
    And a whole Christmas cake.

That's all :)

Eaten since Christmas or still to go?? :)

Advertisement