Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

In these days of daily announcements of tens of deaths related to COVID-19, Curb and It's Always Sunny have been what I put on at the end of the day :)

Of course, It's Always Sunny. Probably makes my top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    What puts me off about shows or movies with too many subtitles is that you're focused on the words on the screen constantly so you miss things like an actor using their eyes subtly etc

I thought I'd be the same before I got into The Killing but it didn't transpire that way. The only way to explain it is that it felt like I had read the subs and watched the scene at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭billyhead

Gomorrah is class. Happy Valley is worth s watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

Is Succession on Netflix?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Is Succession on Netflix?

Unfortunately no

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

My OH is on series 3 of Fargo. He also enjoyed Ozark. I think they’re all on Netflix.

Not watched S3 of Fargo but 1&2 were excellent.

+1 for Ozark. Really good.

If you enjoyed Breaking Bad, the spin off, Better Caul Sol is really good. One of my favs at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

Where can we find succession?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Lizardlegz wrote: »

Season 1 can be streamed on Amazon I think. Costs about £25.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Have you tried Bosch?

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Lizardlegz wrote: »

It aired on Sky Atlantic and NOW TV so maybe Sky Store or Sky on Demand

JuSt fOund a Lovely And WoRking streaming site that my ancient tablet can handle

Succession; season 1, episode 1, I'm going in ....

JuSt fOund a Lovely And WoRking streaming site that my ancient tablet can handle

Succession; season 1, episode 1, I'm going in ....

Report back.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

OP think we have the same taste sp:

Channel 4 player (free)

- Ackley Bridge -just fantastic ignore the blurb & watch 5 minutes you will be hooked

- Derry Girls -sick laughing every time I re-watch it

-Deadwood Falks -dark and obsessive

The C4 player also has a DRAMA section & there are some brilliant ‘international’ crime & detective series on there -subtitles but brilliant

Box Sets: ( might get online free)
    My Name is Earl
    Better Call Saul -arguably as great and even better than breaking bad

Website -Documentary Heaven -all organised into genres for you - crime, drugs, murder, conspiracy etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Looks like Westworld is a non runner based off feedback in the other thread and my own research elsewhere

I'm looking for a show that totally sucks you in and distracts you from the outside world. I'm going to be doing Udemy courses and other projects during the day, but a riveting TV show in bed at night would be useful so my mind doesn't start overthinking things

Some of my all time favs (to give you an idea of taste) would include Breaking Bad, The West Wing and Lost (my top 3) and The Leftovers, The Shield, Line Of Duty (and similar UK Dramas like Happy Valley, Broadchurch etc) and Sopranos also impressed me

Watchmen was suggested as it was made by a Lost/Leftovers writer, but is it Marvel/DC World typical stuff? They normally aren't my kinda thing. I find the whole Marvel/Avengers "universe" a bit tedious

The Wire:

This is a "hmmmm, maybe" to re-try. I watched one season years ago and didn't understand the hype at all. I much preferred The Shield

Homeland:

Tried the first season and - again - couldn't see what the fuss was all about

Game Of Thrones:

Watched all seasons bar the last one. I'll have to get around to completing it just because. But I believe it's a brutal last season :pac:

Chernobyl:

Tried an episode when exhausted on a flight so I think it affected my thoughts on it. Might try again. It has excellent reviews

Peaky Blinders:

Heard it starts strong but drops in quality

That's just some off the top of my head. I'll say if I've seen any other show when they're mentioned

I'm looking for that show where you're having a crap, stressful day (like many of us are currently) but then you think to yourself "at least there's Show X to look forward to later"

Thanks

Battlestar Galacta (the 2004 one)

Mash

The original BBC House of Cards ..followed by Yes (Prime) Minister if you enjoyed The Thick of It

Watchmen is an excellent show, designed to be almost the opposite of a traditional superhero story so don't be put off by the fact that it's based on a comic.

But to be honest...I would just rewatch Sopranos. Nothing comes close in TV drama. It's unbeatable

I found the Wire to be ok but not anything close to The Best TV Show Ever Made like people said about it at the time.

Frasier holds up really well .

I can't see how Always Sunny is so popular, it's up there with Seinfeld as one of the most overrated shows ever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭I see sheep

JayRoc wrote: »
    I found the Wire to be ok but not anything close to The Best TV Show Ever Made like people said about it at the time.

Frasier holds up really well .

I can't see how Always Sunny is so popular, it's up there with Seinfeld as one of the most overrated shows ever

What shows do you like if you don't mind me asking? (Bearing in mind you don't like The Wire or Seinfeld)

(Bearing in mind you don't like The Wire or Seinfeld)

I thought The Wire was ok. Didn't dislike it.

What shows do you like if you don't mind me asking?

Loads!

Of what has been mentioned here;

Sopranos
    Frasier
    Stranger Things
    Derry Girls

I always thought Oz was an overlooked gem.

Most of the tv shows I will actually sit down and watch are probably vintage shows from the 50s and 60s tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Mindhunter, Ozark and Fargo probably the best shows on Netflix.

Also quite enjoyed Stranger Things, haunting of Hill house and Sex Education. Always sunny in philadelphia or peep show if you're looking for a laugh.

Loads of excellent documentaries and true crime stuff also on Netflix to keep you going until 2021.
    sex education was great, but hated Hill House!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Heiser

If you liked The Inbetweeners and are looking for something funny, easy to watch and with a fantastic story try White Gold on Netflix. Brilliant series

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Where would I find The Wire? I've heard so much about it I decided to start it the other night but couldn't find it on Netflix.

I love the gangster shows and enjoyed Narco's, Soprano's, Breaking Bad, Oz and Ozark. I haven't seen it mentioned here but I decided to give Queen of the South a go the other night when I couldn't find The Wire and I'm glued to it.

I think it's a mix of the action, music and Alice Braga the lead actress that does it for me, there is very little if any humour in it which is unusual, short enough episodes too.

Still on Season 1 so hopefully it stays engrossing.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Heiser wrote: »
    If you liked The Inbetweeners and are looking for something funny, easy to watch and with a fantastic story try White Gold on Netflix. Brilliant series

Absolutely brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Apart from the classics: Sopranos, The Wire and Breaking Bad, other good programmes that have been mentioned are Better Call Saul and Billions - both worth a watch.

Bodyguard, Killing Eve and Dr Foster are all watchable.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Handmaid's Tale, Big Little Lies and the Affair. It's reasonable to suggest they are mostly directed at the female market and the quality dips somewhat in later series of the three but I would definitely recommend a watch.

Finally, for the difficult circumstances we find ourselves in, I have been rewatching the US Office, which is very different to the UK version. Steve Carell is a genius. Series 2 to 7 are consistently brilliant, just don't judge the programme on the first series. It will definitely cheer anyone up who is looking for a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Apart from the classics: Sopranos, The Wire and Breaking Bad, other good programmes that have been mentioned are Better Call Saul and Billions - both worth a watch.

Bodyguard, Killing Eve and Dr Foster are all watchable.

I thoroughly enjoyed The Handmaid's Tale, Big Little Lies and the Affair. It's reasonable to suggest they are mostly directed at the female market and the quality dips somewhat in later series of the three but I would definitely recommend a watch.

Finally, for the difficult circumstances we find ourselves in, I have been rewatching the US Office, which is very different to the UK version. Steve Carell is a genius. Series 2 to 7 are consistently brilliant, just don't judge the programme on the first series. It will definitely cheer anyone up who is looking for a laugh.

Couldn't agree more, starting recording this on Sky plus last week and it is a tonic!

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I tried The Wire twice and just couldn't get into it. I thought it was badly made and acted to be honest. And I have loved gritty police dramas since Hill Street Blues! I really tried to like it but couldn't. I fail to see how its in everyones top 5.

Jumped into Succession last night and got 4 episodes watched as I couldn't sleep. So far; I like it a lot but don't love it, it's early days though. I've heard/read that it only really finds it's feet around episode 7.

One thing I noticed was I loved the first two episodes which were written by Jesse Armstrong and Tony Roache, both were heavily involved in The Thick Of It and Veep. Whereas episodes 3 and 4 with other writers aren't as strong

I'll definitely stick with it though. There's enough meat on the bones to invest yourself in the show and Brian Cox, as ever, is absolutely incredible

I tried The Wire twice and just couldn't get into it. I thought it was badly made and acted to be honest. And I have loved gritty police dramas since Hill Street Blues! I really tried to like it but couldn't. I fail to see how its in everyones top 5.

I thought the wire was so bad too..by like the third season yer man the irish cop was just so 2 dimensional..I ended up just giving up on it near season 5..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Jumped into Succession last night and got 4 episodes watched as I couldn't sleep. So far; I like it a lot but don't love it, it's early days though. I've heard/read that it only really finds it's feet around episode 7.

One thing I noticed was I loved the first two episodes which were written by Jesse Armstrong and Tony Roache, both were heavily involved in The Thick Of It and Veep. Whereas episodes 3 and 4 with other writers aren't as strong

I'll definitely stick with it though. There's enough meat on the bones to invest yourself in the show and Brian Cox, as ever, is absolutely incredible

Defo stick with it. Was in two minds about it until the latter half of season one and I binged season 2 it was brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭willbur

How about. " Bosch ". Six season,s so far available on Amazon Prime video , or other locations for those who know where to look

Advertisement