Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Book readers" - Season 8 Episode 6 "The Iron Throne" - Spoilers post 2 forward

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

So let me get this straight

The people who won the game of thrones are a cripple, a ginger bird, a midget, a fat kunt and Liam Cunningham.

Political correctness has gone too far by infiltrating fantasy tv.

leggo wrote: »
    So the rushed pace is most likely GRRM's fault. But instead he gets lionised by doing absolutely nothing and the people that actually do the work get slated. 2019 folks! :pac:

Finally clicked on your Twitter link in your signature. Is that latest post based on this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Necro wrote: »
    It bugs you because the entire scenario makes absolutely no sense in fairness.

Jon disarms himself to speak to Tyrion who is a prisoner of the queen and accused of treason.

Yet is allowed to rearm himself and wander essentially un-noticed by all bar Drogon in to see Dany.

It was patently awful tbh.

And that's before I get going on 'Bran the Broken'.

It would have been better if he walked out and Greyworm said "Where's the Queen?" and Jon said "She's gone off for a jaunt on drogon, focked if I know where she is". Then a sly wink and Jon goes off the pub and gets locked...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I like Bran winning based on Bloodraven basically running the kingdom while never getting the chance to be king. Now his heir (as such) has become the one thing he never could. I'm aware they didn't go the Bloodraven way in the show, will probably ret con it into one of the spin offs though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Why would Brienne not mention that Jaime knighted her?
    She didn't need to. Tyrion and Pod were there when she was knighted. It is known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    She didn't need to. Tyrion and Pod were there when she was knighted. It is known.
    It is known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I'm glad the show is over. This last season has been terribly disappointing. Im not even sad or upset at anything.

I'm not 100% unhappy with where the characters ended up, but I'm very disappointed in the shortcut road they took to get there.

Sansa declaring the north a free and independent kingdom is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

1. Bran is the older male heir.
    2. Jon Snow was the King in the North, not Sansa. He was declared, as was Robb, Sansa just took the crown?
    3. Are the Dornish and Ironborn not going to maybe want to be independent now too?
    4. Brandon Stark, the head of the ****ing whole house is the ****ing king of the 7 kingdoms.

Why would people GO BACK NORTH???

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Brown Ben Plumm scenario for Jon Drogon could smell his Dragons blood, of course writers fail to make this clear absolute ****e really, the more I think about it the more I wanna break something.

You play the Game of Thrones you win or you die these cretins didn't die.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Did Tyrion tell Jon during his sentencing You will hold no titles?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Didn't hate where all of the characters ended up, but hated how the got them there. That is not an awful ending to the show but they made their way there terribly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

You play the Game of Thrones you win or you die these cretins didn't die.

As far as I can think, no one that was left alive actively worked towards getting the iron throne, so the saying was partly accurate.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

They could have handled the Bran stuff better. Have it over another episode and used it to show how people would look for concessions and advantages if they were to bend the knee to Bran. Show maybe some new alliances or other people indicating they'd do this for now but might look to see what the North had. It'd also have have folded in nicely in that it'd show the game of thrones never stops being played.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

It's interesting that the book reader thread has so few posts compared to the non book reader thread.

I wish we had seen a butterfly land on Grey Worm when he announced the Unsullied were off to Naath.

Jon taking the black makes a bit of sense actually. He doesn't want to be king, now he won't be. Won't hold titles so can't be declared, father no children, no kids with a claim etc etc

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

....... wrote: »
    It's interesting that the book reader thread has so few posts compared to the non book reader thread.
    It also seems less.. angry. We're not as displeased it seems. Perhaps, for me, it's because I have little faith in the book material delivering *anything* nevermind anything better. I mean there's been some rightful criticism about how D&D wrote arcs after the book material ended, but the books themselves have lost a lot of their coherence and are, after the third book, not all that great themselves IMO.

jebidiah wrote: »
    I'm glad the show is over. This last season has been terribly disappointing. Im not even sad or upset at anything.

I'm not 100% unhappy with where the characters ended up, but I'm very disappointed in the shortcut road they took to get there.

Sansa declaring the north a free and independent kingdom is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.

1. Bran is the older male heir.
    2. Jon Snow was the King in the North, not Sansa. He was declared, as was Robb, Sansa just took the crown?
    3. Are the Dornish and Ironborn not going to maybe want to be independent now too?
    4. Brandon Stark, the head of the ****ing whole house is the ****ing king of the 7 kingdoms.

Why would people GO BACK NORTH???

1. Bran renounced his lordship, cos he was the three eyed raven and not Bran anymore. Except when they needed him to be king, then he was Bran again. Sansa has been Lady of Winterfell for a while now, possibly since battle of the bastards.

2. He gave up the King in the North title when he bent the knee to female Hitler.
    3. Dorne should already be independent, they were the one that Aegon couldn't conquer. Ironborn just faded into the background as they usually do.
    4. See 1

Tazzimus wrote: »
    1. Bran renounced his lordship, cos he was the three eyed raven and not Bran anymore. Except when they needed him to be king, then he was Bran again. Sansa has been Lady of Winterfell for a while now, possibly since battle of the bastards.

2. He gave up the King in the North title when he bent the knee to female Hitler.
    3. Dorne should already be independent, they were the one that Aegon couldn't conquer. Ironborn just faded into the background as they usually do.
    4. See 1

All the lord's just laughed at the idea of democracy, I don't see how their attitudes to women in power would have changed either.

And no.1 doesn't make 4 make sense. They wouldn't have to bend the knee. Did he name him Bran Stark when he named him king?

I'll have to rewatch that scene...

All the lord's just laughed at the idea of democracy, I don't see how their attitudes to women in power would have changed either.
    Is that in reference to Sansa or Dany?

And no.1 doesn't make 4 make sense. They wouldn't have to bend the knee. Did he name him Bran Stark when he named him king?

I'll have to rewatch that scene...
    Bran the broken I think is what he was called.
    He said something to the effect of he didn't want to/couldn't be Lord of Winterfell due to being the Three Eyed Raven and not really Bran any more, dodgy writing means he can be King though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

ixoy wrote: »
    It also seems less.. angry. We're not as displeased it seems.

For me, I'm watching without any expectations. I've checked out and know the TV writers have butchered it. I think many, particularly book readers, are the same.

To quote my parents, "I'm not angry, I'm disappointed".

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Is that in reference to Sansa or Dany?

Dany had a dragon, so the lords didn't say anything. And even Varys said the lords of westeros prefer men.

• Advertisement

Dany had a dragon, so the lords didn't say anything. And even Varys said the lords of westeros prefer men.
    Sansa also has the respect of most of the people at that meeting, something Dany did not have. If she made a ploy for Queen, she'd probably get majority of the backing.
    Dany did have Drogon to keep them in check though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm kinda ok with the ending in theory like who ended up where but JAYSUS that was ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

As far as the Northern Lords were concerned, Jon p!ssed all over that title when he abdicated his position and bent the knee to Dany, a foreign ruler they didn't know. Sansa earned their respect and is the natural choice to rule the North. It will be interesting though when she gets married - will she lose the Stark name or will it be the start of noble women hyphenating their surname so that they can still keep it.

I think it would be kinda cool to do a revisit in ten years, like Tyrion said to Jon - see where everyone is then and if they've managed to keep the peace or if it's turned into another Game of Thrones. I can't see Yara going back to the Iron Islands and keeping peace with Bran when she sees Sansa ruling independently. Resentment will fester. Same with Dorne - they always wanted independence. Also I'd like to know what becomes of Drogon. You really can't have a dragon flying free who eats a tonne of livestock a day.

Of course D&D can't be let anywhere near such a reboot ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Weird episode. I liked parts, but found other bits confusing.

Was there a missing scene between Jon killing Danny and then there being a convention on what to do with Tyrion/electing a king? It felt really jarring and confusing.

What is the wall for if the wildlings are no longer a threat and the WWs are all dead? Or are the wildlings a threat again? Was Jon going off to live with the wildlings or was it just a scavenger exercise?

The Bran stuff that's been mentioned before about him not actually being Bran anymore/wouldn't rule in the north/but happy enough to be king.

Arya suddenly deciding to be a sea explorer. Had she ever expressed an interest in this before? It seemed like they had run out of ideas as to where her character would go or GRRM told them how her character would end, but forgot to tell them how to write it convincingly.

The lack of mention of Tyrion in the book. Was it out of spite? Wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

I liked Sansa's story, but felt it was handled really badly. It could definitely have done with at least a scene explaining why Dorne and the Islands wouldn't have pushed for independence. Some sort of reasoning would help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I made my peace with GOT after episode 3 and 4 this season - really it's been on a downward curve since season 6.

TBH, I was actually fine with that episode - sure I could spend paragraphs nitpicking it apart but it was an ending, an ending I was ok with.

As a whole, a fantastic piece of television and will be sadly missed, by me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭paulbok

Jon taking the black makes a bit of sense actually. He doesn't want to be king, now he won't be. Won't hold titles so can't be declared, father no children, no kids with a claim etc etc

Well he didn't stay on the watch long, fëcked off beyond the wall with the Wildlings so is likely to get involved with someone eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

It's hard to judge this episode in isolation. I think it was as good as could be expected when it's bearing the weight of five rushed and fumbling episodes preceding it.

I was generally happy with the resolutions (well, to varying degrees), but less happy with the journey there. I think the characters' various endings made sense, but you have to do this sort of mental gymnastics to imagine it happening more organically over a few hundred pages of a book (or even a few more show episodes). The fact that everything to do with succession happened within that five minute scene made it so jarring, and raised so many questions.

On Jon's resolution, I'm happy to see him retire with the free folk, but again the way it was handled was bad. Why would it matter what the Unsullied think when they're about to bugger off anyway? As soon as they're gone, couldn't he just be un-exiled? Regardless, the North is an independent kingdom now, so Sansa could easily pardon him. It would have made more sense if he just chose to go back there himself because he felt that's where he belonged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

paulbok wrote: »
    Well he didn't stay on the watch long, fëcked off beyond the wall with the Wildlings so is likely to get involved with someone eventually.

There is too much money at stake. I'm aware they are working on a prequel but it looks like it's set up that at some point they will continue current story. Notice even her Dragon drogo is still knocking about. Arya off to discovered new lands that can have a whole new world with new characters and storylines.

Whatever happened to Arya and her many faces?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Achasanai wrote: »
    Arya suddenly deciding to be a sea explorer. Had she ever expressed an interest in this before? It seemed like they had run out of ideas as to where her character would go or GRRM told them how her character would end, but forgot to tell them how to write it convincingly.

She’d flagged this several seasons ago when involved with the troupe of thespians. Check this out:

https://youtu.be/Gnjyu2wHt08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

What was Brianne doing writing Jamie's history. Wouldn't Sam have her up for defacing library books. Not to mention totally inaccurate. It's like she was writing on Wikipedia.

Advertisement