Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shadow of Mordor (Shadow of War)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The Tomb Raider game that went exclusive to X-box is another one I would have definitely purchased but for that exclusitivity deal. .

Why would that stop you buying it? When it was released on PS4 it's still a good game and available cheaper than at launch on Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Why would that stop you buying it? When it was released on PS4 it's still a good game and available cheaper than at launch on Xbox.

I got the demo on the PS Plus and quite enjoyed it. There's an element of cutting my nose off to spite my face here but f**k exclusitivity deals. It's still about €25, I'll probably pick it up on the sly at some point but not tell anyone so I can maintain the moral high ground :)

There's an element of cutting my nose off to spite my face here but f**k exclusitivity deals

Do you apply the same logic to games that have PS exclusive content? Seems a bit mad to be honest :D

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Do you apply the same logic to games that have PS exclusive content? Seems a bit mad to be honest :D

No in fairness although I don't agree with them. Something like the PS Destiny timed exclusives annoy the hell out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

So, despite me deciding not to particpate in any Day-One Purchasing of the new game, I'm still happy to see how this dumpster fire plays out

https://www.reddit.com/r/shadowofmordor/comments/6seimb/shadow_of_war_steam_forum_getting_censored/
    So what actually are these multiplayer features? According to Eurogamer, you'll essentially be able to invade the fortresses of other players and attempt to conquer them. This 'social conquest' mode has two settings: friendly and ranked. Friendly allows you to invade without risking the army you've built up, while ranked will see your orcish followers die permanently if they're killed in battle.
    It's that latter detail that has some people worried. If you're going to go looking for some of the high-end loot that you get from conquering another player's fortress and your best warriors are cut down during the assault, isn't that potentially pushing you to spend some real money on rebuilding your forces? Bringing multiplayer into the equation has certainly complicated the conversation.

Forums on Stream being censored from negative feedback apparently:

https://www.reddit.com/r/shadowofmordor/comments/6seimb/shadow_of_war_steam_forum_getting_censored/

And then, the devs said this (in an unofficial capacity on Discord)

i6aczfup4kez.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/shadowofmordor/comments/6sfgpn/on_the_sow_discord_a_dev_from_monolith_has/

• Advertisement

No in fairness although I don't agree with them. Something like the PS Destiny timed exclusives annoy the hell out of me.

So you'll support the game if it's PS exclusive (timed or content) but not if it's Xbox exclusive.

Just play the fecking games :P

I bought an X-Box One (at the time) for RotTR, then I didn't finish the game (or play it much) period, then I sold the X-Box One and got the Anniversary Edition on PS4 when it came out a year later, I'm pretty near the end now, good game tbh (so good I bought it twice haha), must go back and finish it as I put it down when some other release/event happened

I bought an X-Box One (at the time) for RotTR, then I didn't finish the game (or play it much) period, then I sold the X-Box One and got the Anniversary Edition on PS4 when it came out a year later, I'm pretty near the end now, good game tbh (so good I bought it twice haha), must go back and finish it as I put it down when some other release/event happened

I have it on the shelf since the Tesco €10 sale still in the plastic :D

Bloodborne is taking my gaming time now and I've even stopped playing Overwatch I'm enjoying it that much.

Bloodbourne interests me but I'm not sure how much further we can take this thread off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,807 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Bloodbourne interests me but I'm not sure how much further we can take this thread off topic.

If you enjoy dying a lot, and then re-killing everything all over again when you respawn, and not having a map, then yeah, go for it!

All this talk about the lootboxes, the balancing being done without the market in mind, and hearing about these invasions (which i wouldn't be taking part in anyway), it making me want to get it less and less. As i said previously, i'm firmly in the wait-until-other-people-have-played-it camp.

It'll be a shame if it's ruined, as the first one was a decent SP game. Christ, i wish at this stage that some law would be made to prevent devs from being allowed to include paid "cheating" in SP games. Send it all to the MP for all i care, but if i've paid €70 for a SP game, i expect to be able to play the entirety of the game without having to spend money or grind countless hours for something which i should be able to get through normal gameplay.

Anyway, we'll see. If it doesn't have an effect on the SP, grand, i'll pick it up. If not, well, no loss, there's plenty other games coming out that i can spend my money on.

• Advertisement

it making me want to get it less and less.

Honestly, to me, this is all that effing matters. You had a product I was gonna Day-1 buy from the minute you mentioned it WB. Now with the more I hear, the less I want it. You've turned me off your own product.

I don't care about how balanced it is, how MTs won't affect Gameplay, how you don't need to buy them, how they think going a different way wit LotR cannon is breaking new ground, how they want Orcs to have personalities including humour...

I. DON'T. CARE

Emotively, you have made me turn my nose up at something that was a banker, (and one of maybe, at a push, 10 games I would have pre-ordered in the last decade) because it stinks of S**T

And it's not like WB are a studio with great street cred either.
    Far from it. In fact, their missteps, while less frequent, are usually much bigger than EA or Ubisoft (Arkham Knight PC Port anyone?)
    They are a f**king plague, and I refuse to support Monolith with a full RRP Pre-Order of this game, because by association it supports WB Games

I'm annoyed that one of only 3 things I was looking forward to this year (what with so much else being pushed into 2018) has already got a filthy reek of the modern AAA boloxology associated with it so far prior to launch. Maybe I should be happy I know now, and not after I was buying and playing it (review embargoes be damned).

I'll see you in the 12-Days of X-Mass Sales SoW, much like all the other underperforming Q4 2017 releases (just like DH2 and RotTR last year).

And you better believe I don't give a tuppeny f**k about Multiplayer in this... and I say that as someone who played Bioshock 2 online on the PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    That's exactly what they are doing.

Devs have purposely padded the game to entice people to consider purchasing this crap. And people will cave and buy it.
    Publishers see this and think it's ok.

Thus, then expect it to see it in more single player games.

It's a load of bolox whatever way you want to put it.

yeah i agree, it doesn't belong in a AAA game, especially one that's gonna cost 60 quid on release. Fcuk that. That's any preorder plans i had for it scrapped completely now.

Here's a piece on this for anyone that needs to get up to speed on this nonsense;

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Angry Joe's reaction is hilarious.

I really do hope consumers teach the publishers a lesson here even at the expense of the dev.
    But we as consumers have to stand up and not buy into this horrible business model, and I fear people will buy it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I really do hope consumers teach the publishers a lesson here even at the expense of the dev.
    But we as consumers have to stand up and not buy into this horrible business model, and I fear people will buy it anyway.

That's why these things appear in games. People will always buy the game, regardless of what the dev/publisher does. MT's in MP games are one thing, so long as it's just cosmetics, a la Overwatch. Bringing full power mode xp boost gear MT's into a SP game is just bollixology of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I was going to pre order this one, but will wait and see just how the microtransactions affect the game.

Would this deter many people from buying on release?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I was going to press order this one, but will wait and see just how the microtransactions affect the game.

I think general consensus her has been ....

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I was going to press order this one, but will wait and see just how the microtransactions affect the game.

I don't know yet, I am put off by it and disappointed, there already fleecing us of 50/60 euro and pull this **** then, very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

I don't know yet, I am put off by it and disappointed, there already fleecing us of 50/60 euro and pull this **** then, very annoying.

Exactly why I'm not getting it early on.

And micro transactions in a single player game seems to be taking the pi$$.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

I wonder how well Deus Ex: Mankind Divided did with its micro-transactions. The game died a quick death which, for me, was a shame because I really felt it was a solid game. An excellent sequel by my estimation. However, it did disappear and I can't help but think it had something to do with the micro-transactions.

Falthyron wrote: »
    I wonder how well Deus Ex: Mankind Divided did with its micro-transactions. The game died a quick death which, for me, was a shame because I really felt it was a solid game. An excellent sequel by my estimation. However, it did disappear and I can't help but think it had something to do with the micro-transactions.

It did.

Publicity sells games to the fence-sitters, the only publicity around that game was negative and largely focusing on it's integration of MT and its numerous "Enhance you pre-order" BS

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Won't be getting this on launch now I think. Will probably wait for the inevitable price drop.

Can we add a poll to see how many of us have decided to not get the game at launch (at least) now, versus those who still want to get it Day-1 despite the recent developments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Same as the above, when the GOTY edition hits €5 I'll consider picking it up, until then, not a chance. Its a disgusting business model but it won't end until people stop buying into it.

I recall a poster on boards a few weeks ago saying his friend was giving out about companies pushing the prices of their lootboxes up so much. As that poster said, they wouldn't increase in price if they stopped buying the bloody things. Alas, some people don't want to listen and will buy them anyways.

I've not bought a micro transaction yet, and its going to take a hell of a game to make me even consider buying one.

The whole MT concept has totally blacklisted certain companies and publishers until they're absolutely bargain bin for me.

Can we add a poll to see how many of us have decided to not get the game at launch (at least) now, versus those who still want to get it Day-1 despite the recent developments

I would have bought at launch as well but I'm holding off now.

I agree, I think having a poll would be an interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Was going to buy it. Won't touch it now, not even if it's on sale.

Hope it crashes and burns honestly.

Wasn't on my radar but probably wouldn't get it if it was free at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I don't know, to be honest. I might still get the game at launch, but just never buy any of the chests/microtransactions etc.

What's the release date for the game now? If there's other stuff to play around the same time then I'll hold off on this game.

Advertisement