Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The shield

• 14-04-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

is this anygood? i have the chance of getting the first season at a good price. is it as good as the Sopranos?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

No idea - but the question might get answered in a different forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Fuinseog wrote: »
    is this anygood? i have the chance of getting the first season at a good price. is it as good as the Sopranos?

It's very different but just as gripping. It's the cops getting down and dirty and it's difficult at times to separate the good guys from the bad.

I recommend it, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Yeah it's great. Obv not as good as The Sopranos (what is?) but I much preferred it to the likes of The Wire which gets a lot of praise. Definitely worth picking up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Yeah it's great. Obv not as good as The Sopranos (what is?) but I much preferred it to the likes of The Wire which gets a lot of praise. Definitely worth picking up.

I like all 3 of them. Very different beasts.

If that's your thing - I recommend Oz, Homicide: Life on the Street, Sons of Anarchy.

Sons of Anarchy is by the same team who made The Shield and there's a slight crossover - the gang the One Niners appear in both series.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Moved to 'Television' forum!

The show gets plenty of praise.. and it is a great show!

Picked up the complete series for €50 recently but only started season 2 before I took a break from it.. need to get back into it!

First season is available from Asda for about €6 delivered: http://www.asda-entertainment.co.uk/dvd/the-shield-series-1/81363.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The Shield is possibly my most favourite television series of all time. Get all seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,449 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The Shield is one of those rare shows where every season is better than the one that came before it (so much so that the last few episodes of Season 7 are the among the best TV I've seen in the last 5 years).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

The final season is some of the greatest but grimest tv I have ever seen. 'Dutch' could well be my most loved tv cop ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

Got the first series and got hooked immediately

Currently looking for the best place to get the complete 1-7 boxset (stuck a request up on bargin alerts)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Wossack wrote: »
    Currently looking for the best place to get the complete 1-7 boxset (stuck a request up on bargin alerts)
    Best price right now is Amazon

But I picked it up for £39.99 (+ £2.50 S&H) off HMV a few months back.. it might appear at that price again in the near future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Wossack

basquille wrote: »
    Best price right now is Amazon

But I picked it up for £39.99 (+ £2.50 S&H) off HMV a few months back.. it might appear at that price again in the near future!

got invisiblehand working overtime on it :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Its Like Crack! Far better then any other show i've seen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Sorry to dig up an old thread but "The Shield" is up there with the best of them. I love the fact it's not a slow burner, every episode has trouble and compassion.

Excellent show.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,699 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Watched the Shield for the first time and it is without a doubt my favorite show of all time. Can anybody recommend any tv shows that are similar to it and are worth watching. I have watched the Wire which was also fantastic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Give Southland a shot.

Give Southland a shot.

Watched it a very underrated show.

I have narrowed it down to NYPD Blue or Homocide Life on the Street. Favoring towards Homocide Life on the Street it seems to have better reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Watched it a very underrated show.

I have narrowed it down to NYPD Blue or Homocide Life on the Street. Favoring towards Homocide Life on the Street it seems to have better reviews.

Without Homicide Life on the Street and Hill Street Blues we wouldn't have the golden era of tv we have IMO. Ground breaking one of the first shows to bring movie people from in front of and behind the screen back to tv.

One of the greatest tv shows of all time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Deadwood isn't really similar to the shield but it's the same high level of quality

Without Homicide Life on the Street and Hill Street Blues we wouldn't have the golden era of tv we have IMO. Ground breaking one of the first shows to bring movie people from in front of and behind the screen back to tv.

One of the greatest tv shows of all time

Cheers i think i will try Homocide Life on the Street later on and try get into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

About to start Oz. Seems to get similar recommendations to The Shield and The Wire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

About to start Oz. Seems to get similar recommendations to The Shield and The Wire.

You lucky lucky bastard.
    A great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I'd love to be in your shoes now. HBO's first tv drama series and an all time great. A stunning cast, many of whom when on to much bigger and better things with HBO. It's been a few years since I watched it, might give it a go again.

I still think it's one of the most depraved pieces of television out there.....'bend over Prag, we gonna spoon' - *shudder*.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I think it's a little overrated. You can definitely see the Sons of Anarchy similarities. It just seemed way to unrealistic to me. Its a good show, but no way amazing.
    Oz was good at first. Pretty scary. But it turned into such a soap opera and ended it such a bizarre way. After season 3(i think it was) it dipped in quality

Sorry to be such a negative nelly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

Got the first series of both Oz and The Shield, and wasn't really tempted to follow up on either. The Shield was ok, but not in the same universe as The Wire. Oz I just didn't like the style of. The narration bits I found off putting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the shield grew into a much better show/story than the wire, which was ****e in season 5 and had ziggy in season 2. **** ziggy.

the shield is a novel, each season builds upon the last until *everything* comes to a head in the final season. *everything*

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

In effect, **** Ziggy. I waited nearly two years before watching season 3, mostly because I hated that guy so much he turned me off the Wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Cast Iron

The Shield is my favourite show. I think it grew and grew as it went through each season. The pure visceral intensity made it must see for me. The number of story arcs involved is really impressive.
    It also had a brilliant ending, really properly thought out, that brought real satisfaction for fans of the show.

Can't recommend it highly enough.

Sons of Anarchy is from a similar stable but no where near the same level.

Justified definitely worth a look. Homicide is a great show too. Both a different pace to the Shield though.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Shield's Michael Jace (Officer Julien Lowe)arrested over homicide after wife's shooting
    The Shield star Michael Jace has been arrested on suspicion of homicide following the fatal shooting of his wife.

April Jace was found dead last night in a residence on Brynhurst Avenue, Los Angeles.

Digitalspy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 101 ✭✭Supup

The Americans. Fantastic concept and execution by cast and writers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

The Shield's Michael Jace (Officer Julien Lowe)arrested over homicide after wife's shooting

Digitalspy

He bad people.....

Advertisement