Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit

Options
  • 01-07-2007 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I went through the tv forum and didnt see a post on this, but if there is one that I missed, then I apologize ahead of time and this is more then welcome to be closed.

Just wondering what fans thought of this past season. I thought it was pretty good, but it seemed like it was more focused on the lives of the detectives more then the cases this season. I'm not saying it wasnt focused on the cases they were going through, but it was more into the dramatic lives of the detectives then the other seasons.

Other thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭purplegeko

I am addicted to this show. I wanted to start a thread but i'm rubbish and too lazy to check if one existed already. Compared to the other Law and Orders this one is a cut above. The acting is top notch i'm a huge fan of Mariska Hargitay; plus the storylines are realistic and compelling (most of the time).
    I didn't like the writers sending Olivia undercover; i thought it was a stretch for a normal detective from the svu to be sent into a dangerous enviromental terrorist group (but i get she needed to be written out because she was preggers).
    I think they are focusing way too much on the 'relationship' between elliot and his new partner and maybe sacrificing the grittiness of the show that i love. I have been watching on tv3 and we are about 6/7 episodes in so hopefully it will improve but i'm still gonna watch it because i now its one of the best dramas around and will eventually get back to its prime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

SVU is fantastic. The best L&O by a mile.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Mossy Monk wrote:
    SVU is fantastic. The best L&O by a mile.

Criminal Intent is better I think.

What channel is SVU on? Probably 3 and up untill recently I couldnt get a decent reception

TV3, Hallmark and I hear Channel 6 will be showing it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

kearnsr wrote:
    Criminal Intent is better I think.

I agree, especially those featuring Vincent D'Onofrio as the lead detective, not so keen on the Chris Noth character. But I can't take Eric Bogosian seriously as the captain, I still recall him playing the mad psycho in the film Under Siege 2: Dark Country and seeing him as a police captain afterwards seems odd. Its a bit like seeing Dennis Farina replacing Jerry Orbach in the original Law & Order. Farina played crooks and mafia types in too many movies to take him seriously as a cop now.

• Advertisement

Criminal Intent is good but i just think its a tad far-fetched that Vincent D'Onofrio knows everything about every possible subject; hes annoying sometimes but the stories are better in criminal intent more often than svu.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

purplegeko wrote:
    Criminal Intent is good but i just think its a tad far-fetched that Vincent D'Onofrio knows everything about every possible subject; hes annoying sometimes but the stories are better in criminal intent more often than svu.

I think Goran is meant to be protraied as a bit of "special one"!

The one when he goes up against his arch enemy is class. She nearly beats twice. She does once!

Hallmark is good. It shows Law & Order and C.I not sure about SUV

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

SVU is best of the lot, I enjoy them all, but SVU is definately a cut above the rest.The new season does seem a little different in style,reasons mentioned in other posts, but still the best show on TV.

kearnsr wrote:
    Hallmark is good. It shows Law & Order and C.I not sure about SUV

Starts on the 13th.
    Digiguide wrote:
    DRAMA: Law and Order: Special Victims Unit
    On: Hallmark (150)
    Date: Friday 13th July 2007 (starting in 10 days)
    Time: 22:00 to 23:00 (1 hour long)

Chameleon. Series 4, episode 1.
    The detectives are concerned to hear that a convict charged with the rape and murder of a prostitute has been paroled, and decide to keep tabs on him. They trace their suspect to a hotel where gunshots are heard, and find a badly beaten prostitute holding the weapon. However, their belief that she was acting in self-defence is soon overturned. Drama.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=53031

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm a huge L&O Fan. I have 8 box sets at the moment, and I'm continually adding to it. I must say Criminal Intent with Vincent DOnofrio is my favourite. As I type I am in fact wearing a Criminal Intent t-shirt. I am so obsessed I went to One Police Plaza in New York to take a picture of the building, and I also met Courtney B Vance, the guy who plays the DA in the first 3 series of CI.

In the original L&O series, it was at its finest with Jerry Orbach and Chris Noth. They were a great team, and both were always really funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

SVU is the best Law and order...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭heyjude

heyjude wrote:
    I agree, especially those featuring Vincent D'Onofrio as the lead detective, not so keen on the Chris Noth character. But I can't take Eric Bogosian seriously as the captain, I still recall him playing the mad psycho in the film Under Siege 2: Dark Country and seeing him as a police captain afterwards seems odd.

If you want to check out Eric Bogosian in this previous guise, Under Siege 2 is on RTE2 at 9.30 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

right ye avid svu fans ye do know the new show is starting back up on tv 3 tommorow night the 7th at 10 o clock. SOOO CAN'T WAIT!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

The new season of SVU is definitely focusing more on the detectvies personal lives, but that seems to be endemic in all long-running shows. The writers just get a bit lazy, or lost. Sure how many times can you twist together the same storylines?!

Criminal Intent is brilliant though, with Gorem and Eames as leads, not a big fan of Noth either. He's really good in normal L&O, but ya need a kind of "special one" for criminal intent. Kinda like Criminal Minds (another brilliant show, badly missing Mandy Petinkin).

Has anyone watched Trial by Jury? Biggest load of pants.

Really looking forward to the new season, saw a couple of episodes while i was in the states definitely more about their lives outside the job.
    Supposed to be a law and order London in the pipeline but after the disaster of trial by jury it may be put off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Criminal Intent is brilliant though, with Gorem and Eames as leads, not a big fan of Noth either. He's really good in normal L&O, but ya need a kind of "special one" for criminal intent. Kinda like Criminal Minds (another brilliant show, badly missing Mandy Petinkin).
    I've only seen a couple of episodes with him in it so far (just begun Season 5) but he seems capable enough and sufficiently different to Goren (who of course still owns the show). Season 8 should be interesting with Jeff Goldblum doing the alternate episodes in place of Noth.

ya i love criminal minds too. i really got into that a year or two ago but i don't have the channel for it at the moment. my mum was supposed to get me a box set of it for my bday last year but got me law and order instead. goran and emmes are not too bad i guess but i just hasn't got the giripping edge that svu has. i have the 1st, 2nd and 4th box set of svu. wish they had more about in stores in the ireland or uk and not the states where we can't watch them:(

Jeff Goldblum's gonna be on Criminal Intent? I actually think that could end up being a masterstroke of genius casting. He's creepy-cool enough to play the part anyway ;)

so what did we think of the first eposide of svu of the season. wierd seeing cyntia nixon play a role like that. can't believe cathy stabler is pregnant again and munch filled the captain's role while he was away. was wondering what he was doing in full uniform.

roll on next week!!

I thought Cynthia Nixon was great in SVU last night! Only got to see the last 40 odd minutes (BNTM on Living) but it was really good.

Anyone else really not liking the blonde DA woman? Talk about be-atch.

• Advertisement

burner DA casey novac??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Man - Casey gets hotter with every episode.

Really enjoyed the first show back. I hope they let us know what the fall out was from the end of the last series as well, as that finished brilliantly.

Also, I cannot remember Elliot getting back with his wife (though this may be because of all the repeats I watch on hallmark).

mollybird wrote: »
    burner DA casey novac??

Yeah, think that's her. I just can't warm to her character. I loved the older ADA guy from Law and Order (I'm useless with names, esp with tv/film). He was By-The-Book fair. Great character and a good character to play an ADA. Little Miss Point to Make by Being Hard just annoys me!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

gimmick wrote: »
    Also, I cannot remember Elliot getting back with his wife (though this may be because of all the repeats I watch on hallmark).

He started to get back with her during the previous series.

Just got around to watching the first episode and i thought it was a great episode. I had no idea Cynthia Nixon was a great actress - she does crazy very well anyway.
    I like the Casey Novak character she is a hard ass and completely ruthless I think law and order series' have always had very well written strong female characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just googled her. I thought while watching the other night she looked like the SITS one, but felt this one was mildly attractive.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

gimmick wrote: »
    Man - Casey gets hotter with every episode.

Really enjoyed the first show back. I hope they let us know what the fall out was from the end of the last series as well, as that finished brilliantly.

elliot turns up at kathys house saying something like can they talk or that he wants to come home. i was bullin it ended like that.

also i really liked alexandera cabot. she was firey in the right places.

sorry guys that was me who said that last comment didn't realise my OH was logged in automatically.

was not too impressed wiht svu tonight. who is the new guy?? i don't like him wish he would just leave:mad: watching some on hallmark while house sitting in my boyfriends place so i'm well happy with myself. :D

• Advertisement

god seeing melissa joan hart all grown up was a bit wierd. again a very good epesiode. that is my fav thing about the show all the twists and turns in it. you never know what is going to happen in it.

Advertisement