Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Am i the only one that liked the story? It was a progression on from the first game and how the lie made Joel a shell of a man and just as Ellie was ready to forgive, he gets taken away leaving her in an emotional heap only to realise how wrong get actions were at the end when it was too late to go back on a lot of things she did. The farm should have been the end for Ellie (and a lot of people playing) but she still had to see it through. Was only when she was in the verge of setting out what she had to do, she realised she didn't all along.

Yeah it was bleak as **** but a great arc for these characters in this horrible world. Want fond memories? remember the museum level.

Also, Star Wars is a load of shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Am i the only one that liked the story?

I thought it was great. I find the pushback completely bizarre, and I suspect it has a lot to do with lads having their hero complex crushed. They liked the idea of playing mostly as Joel and chaperoning a young wan around.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Am i the only one that liked the story? It was a progression on from the first game and how the lie made Joel a shell of a man and just as Ellie was ready to forgive, he gets taken away leaving her in an emotional heap only to realise how wrong get actions were at the end when it was too late to go back on a lot of things she did. The farm should have been the end for Ellie (and a lot of people playing) but she still had to see it through. Was only when she was in the verge of setting out what she had to do, she realised she didn't all along.

Yeah it was bleak as **** but a great arc for these characters in this horrible world. Want fond memories? remember the museum level.

I enjoyed the story a lot. Too much padding in places to suit the gameplay at the expense of the story, and some plot points or character moments presented with all the finesse of a kango drill covered in barbed wire, but for the most part I thought it was great. They didn't rest on the laurels of the first game, instead trying to present a new story in a new way. I loved the Part B of the story more than I would have imagined. For me the biggest issue I had was the wasting of Jeffrey Wright as Isaac, which should have been a bigger part of Abby's story.

Also I agree with JU that The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film. Fight me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

My main issue is all of that above is totally redundant. Everything there is true but everything there was told in TLOU2 over 30 hours.

TLOU1 said all of that in one lie and one facial expression from Ellie at the end of the game. It was subtle but powerful. It didn't need to be spelled out exactly what was going to happen next. It was unneeded and it added nothing. In fact it ended up cheapening that ending. The TLOU1 ending told you that the relationship between Ellie and Joel was doomed.

In the end you had Ellie and Abby with very basic character arcs that were dull, hackneyed, unoriginal and boring.

Think it would have been better not to touch Joel and Ellie and go for a different story in the same universe with new characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Think it would have been better not to touch Joel and Ellie and go for a different story in the same universe with new characters.

I think that's the way they'll have to go for a third game if they were to make one. I wouldn't even have Abby and Lev in it either. Wipe the slate clean and go with all new characters. The world they created is ripe for different stories and situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

saw a thing an youtube earlier "warzone is awful prove me wrong" I had an eleven page essay proving this fool wrong and then I thought its an opinion however misguided and I didn't sleep much last night so can't invest into an online cod argument and fell asleep

gimli2112 wrote: »
    saw a thing an youtube earlier "warzone is awful prove me wrong" I had an eleven page essay proving this fool wrong and then I thought its an opinion however misguided and I didn't sleep much last night so can't invest into an online cod argument and fell asleep

I wouldn't mind having a read of that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 expen12

I just finished the game about an hour ago. There's a lot to sit with but I personally found it incredible. Not flawless, but incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I finished it over the weekend, had only played the first one just before Christmas as I've only recently picked up a Playstation again after not owning one since the PS2.

I thought it was pretty good, however I knew that both
    Joel would die, killed by somebody called Abby and that Abby and Ellie were the playable characters in the game. I was googling something about the first game when I played it a few months back and underneath the answers were a few commonly asked related questions, one of them was why does Abby kill Joel in TLOU2. Thanks Google. The only thing that was a surprise was just how soon into the game Joel dies.

It was probably a little too long for me, I found the game loop starting to get repetitive by the end. You clear out one area of human enemies just to progress straight onto another with 8 more people to take down. I played it completely stealthy for the most part but towards the very end went a bit gung ho as I just fancied some action and shaking things up a bit.

I was completely unaware of the "controversy" around the game's launch, I knew it had been review bombed but just assumed that was from a load of Xbox fanboys or something like that. When I got to the
    transgender character I did roll my eyes a little bit, it just felt very like a box they wanted to tick and you know they decided to put a transgender character in the game and then write the story around that decision. That said it fit perfectly into why Lev would be an outcast from that weird cult so I've no actual issues with it, they made it work pretty well.

Overall pretty decent, not flawless, I might have preferred the first due to it being a bit more concise and having probably the stronger story (this was basically just a revenge plot after all). If they decide to make another I think they'll have to revamp the gameplay considerably. I'm not saying it was bad (far from it) but quite similar to the first and does start to feel a bit samey after 25+ hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

No, not this. Everyone in that world is living a violent life, looking after their own. Joel and Ellie were no different.
    Ellie and the fireflies were different though would you not agree? Both were trying to fight for something greater than themselves.

On the flip side Joel was willing to do whatever it took to make himself happy, whether it was killing the fireflies to stop them killing Ellie for a cure, or lie to Ellie at the end of the game. I get why he did those things but they're pretty messed up.

I like him as a character, don't get me wrong but Joel totally got what he deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Still no word on a PS5 patch? I hope they arent just gonna release it as TLOU 2 Remastered for more money...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

mutley18 wrote: »
    Still no word on a PS5 patch? I hope they arent just gonna release it as TLOU 2 Remastered for more money...

Probably won't happen until they release the new Factions/Multiplayer mode.

https://twitter.com/pushsquare/status/1369348516821299202?s=19

Some rumours making the rounds today that a ps4/ps5 version will be announced soon that includes multiplayer, a battle royale mode and a new single player dlc that is Abby centric.

Neil also having his fun.

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1369673573514711042?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

A battle royale mode would actually be class for this.

ItsHoggie wrote: »
    A battle royale mode would actually be class for this.

The multiplayer in TLOU 1 is so good, I think a Battle Royale mode would be class, hopefully that is true but probably a load of bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

The multiplayer in TLOU 1 is so good, I think a Battle Royale mode would be class, hopefully that is true but probably a load of bollox.

Yeah, was a big fan of factions in the last game. Was never really sure how a stealth game could work with online mp but thought they pulled it off brilliantly.

I’d say there’s truth in the rumours alright, I’ve been reading about a possible battle royale mode for Last of Us 2 since before the game came out. So fingers crossed.

after the success of Fortnite they'll try and lever in BR's into everything. tbh BR's never interested me. Admittedly I could see the BF5 one and Apex had some good features but it wasn't until WZ I became obsessed. Typical COD rob someone else's idea and try improve on it. If it works cool if not there's always next year.

Warzone has arguably been a bigger success than the last two CODs

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Typical COD rob someone else's idea and try improve on it. If it works cool if not there's always next year.

Warzone has arguably been a bigger success than the last two CODs
    Warzone was the first BR game I enjoyed, but having said that I stopped playing after a couple of weeks. I had a good time though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I much prefer PUBG. Warzone is BR for people that make a beeline for the high player density spots in PUBG. I prefer the tension of jumping into a low density area and creeping about. But can't play PUBG anymore because the player base level is so far above me now that it's not much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I tried PUBG but I thought it looked like dried snot. Couldn't get into it at all.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I much prefer PUBG. Warzone is BR for people that make a beeline for the high player density spots in PUBG. I prefer the tension of jumping into a low density area and creeping about. But can't play PUBG anymore because the player base level is so far above me now that it's not much fun.
    I'm definitely a creeper when I play warzone. Creepin' all over the shop

I tried PUBG but I thought it looked like dried snot. Couldn't get into it at all.

Different sort of game. PUBG has much better gun and ballistic modelling so it's much harder to hit your target. COD on that other hand has the same ridiculous hitscan shooting model that they have been using for years but why change it when it's so fun. Warzone is way more immediately satisfying than PUBG, a lot of people were complaining about how there can be long stretches where you won't see someone in PUBG but for me that tension was what I was all about.

I'll just leave by saying an irrefutable truth: Fortnite is poo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Out of the battle royales I’ve played (and I haven’t played Warzone, mostly out of disgust at its install and updated sizes) I liked Apex Legends the most. Had that Respawn flow, even if it’s not quite as perfect as Titanfall. But I’m not someone who sticks with games for months on end, so I naturally just fall out of online games after a week or two. It’s always nice to get in early though before it all gets taken over by high level players.

Neil said that him and Hailey have an outline written out for The Last of Us 3 and hopes that it will turn into something one day but still deciding on what to work on next.

I know a lot of people didn't want 2 and sure as **** wouldn't want 3 but I'd like to see what they do with it and lessons learned from 2.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3662448/naughty-dog-the-last-of-us-part-iii-has-an-outline-but-so-far-thats-all/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Yes please, I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Clickers - a great bunch of lads and ladies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You play as Daxter, the daughter of Whitney. Your mother was brutally murdered doing what she loved: playing her PS Vita. Now, you want to hunt down the woman responsible and exact your violent, deeply unsatisfying revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Neil said that him and Hailey have an outline written out for The Last of Us 3 and hopes that it will turn into something one day but still deciding on what to work on next.

I know a lot of people didn't want 2 and sure as **** wouldn't want 3 but I'd like to see what they do with it and lessons learned from 2.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3662448/naughty-dog-the-last-of-us-part-iii-has-an-outline-but-so-far-thats-all/

I stopped playing 2 after the part where you pick up a bow. Something about the game just never clicked with me. To be honest I never wanted a sequel. i would rather they put this on ice for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think a good area for them to explore is the gap between outbreak and start of TLOU1.

It was obviously carnage, society falling apart and the infected running riot.

They could do a multi story style where characters crossed paths but never join up. But decisions on whether to kill or help characters you've already played as come up.

Maybe you end up on the end of a Joel beating, or his brother.

They seem very interested in examination of players moral choices, well fight to survive is pretty core of that.

• Advertisement

Hopefully it will start of like a bad 1980's soap opera. Joel will step out of the shower and you realise Episode 2 was all just a dream that never really happened.

Advertisement