Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Movies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

I have only seen it once and was not enamored by it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I watched home alone this season from start to finish. I’ve only ever watched bits and pieces over the last few years. Watching it all from start to finish was magical. Brought back a lot of Christmas feels.

Didn’t watch the usuals this season like die hard or Scrooged or a muppets Christmas Carol as I felt like I’ve over watched them recently.

They will be most welcomed come 2021 Christmas season.

Scrooged is another one I missed, also black christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We had loads we didn't watch, said on an earlier thread we watched the 2 home alones (i missed the middle of the second one) Christmas vacation, santa claus the movie( aboutb8 weeks before) love actually (about a month before) and the family man (about 6 weeks before) and that was it. No elf, scrooged, muppets, wonderful,life or miracle on 34th Street...amongst others.

So plenty to catch up on later in the year.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I didn't watch Die Hard either, or It's a Wonderful Life, this year. I really liked the colourised version of the latter.

Two for the list for this Christmas. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Posy wrote: »
    Two for the list for this Christmas. :D

Just said ‘this Christmas’ in another thread and meant the one just gone. Guess I’ll have to get use to saying last Christmas!

A few regulars for us as well we didn’t see however as other have said will make them more enjoyable for this Christmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Caught a good few; Elf, Muppets Christmas, Christmas Vacation, Arthur Christmas, Deck the halls, Christmas Chronicals 2, Bad Santa 2, Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Strictly is a thanksgiving but feels christmas).

Haven't watched Wonderful life in a couple of years. Has been a few years now. Also same for Die Hard.

This year we only got to watch what was available on Netflix and Disney plus. We really need to get copies of what's on our movie list as we would have watched way more :)

Edit: look at me still living in 2020 :pac:

A boy called Christmas, based on the Matt Haig novel is to be part of SKY's christmas package for 2021.

https://www.skygroup.sky/article/a-boy-called-christmas-a-sky-original
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a30205639/netflix-christmas-movies-universe-explained/

Tend to not watch these kind of films, i.e. hallmark etc. but thought this was interesting that theres a netflix Christmas movies universe!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

DvB wrote: »
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a30205639/netflix-christmas-movies-universe-explained/

Tend to not watch these kind of films, i.e. hallmark etc. but thought this was interesting that theres a netflix Christmas movies universe!!

I've seen none of those movies... I'm clearly not their demographic. :pac:

Loughc wrote: »

A badge of honor!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Loughc wrote: »

I've seen several of these movies, and a lot of scifi and fantasy and I still don't get the explanation of multiple universes :)

I'm not expecting those movies to work on that level but sounds like one of the writers does!
    But in conclusion, more Vanessa Hudgens is ok with me.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I've watched all of them :D they're so cheesy!

I've seen all of them, except the Knight Before Christmas. Must put it on my list at once. :D

I did notice in a few wedding scenes of those movies (SPOILER- they all live happily ever after) that the guests were made up of characters from other Netflix Christmas films. I got a kick out of it, anyway. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I’ve watched them all :D I’m such a hopeless romantic :D

I would highly recommend to my fellow hopeless romantics that they give the Knight Before Christmas a watch :) Without spoiling anything, it gives a nod to the other Netflix movies, from what I can remember anyway!

I would recommend the Knight before Christmas solely for the leading lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Good seeing that the Christmas movie genre is still alive.

Movie '8-Bit Christmas' In Production

"The comedy is set in suburban Chicago in the late 1980s, and follows ten-year-old Jake Doyle’s herculean quest to get the latest and greatest video game system for Christmas. "

https://deadline.com/2021/03/new-line-max-original-movie-8-bit-christmas-in-production-neil-patrick-harris-1234705916/

Home Alone 2 just started on Film 4.

• Advertisement

TRS30 wrote: »

The monthly showing continues :D

Controversial take, I might actually prefer 2 to 1 :eek:

Controversial take, I might actually prefer 2 to 1 :eek:

For years I always thought it was the funnier of the two at least.

I thought that previously but when you look it more as a money spinner (aren't they all) and the product placement 1 wins out.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I thought that previously but when you look it more as a money spinner (aren't they all) and the product placement 1 wins out.

I thought it was funnier but I still prefer the first one overall, it has a nostalgic sentimentality the sequel lacks.

I agree, but 1 doesn't have the bricks been thrown to into the badies face. Guess we will just have to re-watch both.

Jude13 wrote: »
    I agree, but 1 doesn't have the bricks been thrown to into the badies face. Guess we will just have to re-watch both.

Always though the iron coming down the duct and hitting Marv in the face was the worst, in reality the damage that would do is hideous!! I know I laugh when I watch it (& was in stitches the first time) but the level of violence was definitely 'upped' in the sequel.

Definitely!!

Like, nobody is surviving those bricks in real life. Ouch! :eek:

I always liked the paint cans scene for some reason.

• Advertisement

Marv with the bare feet on the broken baubles & hearing them crunch underfoot as he came through the window was another one (from the original) that made me wince! We've all stood on something we shouldn't in bare feet and seeing & hearing that was a real laugh but cringe moment.

Advertisement