Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend of Zelda: Link’s Awakening - Nintendo Switch

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Have they priced it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

They haven't even announced a date yet, never mind price. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,763 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Have they priced it yet?

I think we can all safely guess the price. €60.

Worth it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

sligeach wrote: »
    I think we can all safely guess the price. €60.

Lol not sure if you're serious there. :D

I would hope it's a lot less than that. Re-imagining/re-skin or whatever they are calling it, it's still a 25+ year old GB game at heart. €15 or less and then I'll take a look. :)

• Advertisement

Absolutely no chance it'll be 15. They had a team of sound designers, UX people, artists and animators working on it for months. They need to get their investment back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

250 European African Rand please 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

50 quid I reckon. 45 if we're lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd go with 39.99. Which I will happily pay, even though I know it's not really worth it from a time point of view, and I will probably finish this in about 5 hours, as those dungeons are ingrained in my memory.

I think €30 would be fair, but it's Nintendo, so it's not going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mr E wrote: »
    The attention to detail (compared to original) is fantastic. Looking at that screenshot, the grass is in the same formation, the dog in the background and the wooden stakes are the same too.
    If I were a betting man, I would say there was a team in Nintendo who were tasked with writing a translator that converts the original map(s) into one that can be interpreted by the modern engine.
    And not that someone's job was to look at the whole map and recreated it by hand.

Then it's "merely" a matter of the design team building the new graphics.

Which means that any variance from the original would be the exception rather than the rule.

This is kind of killing me anyway. How can I justify buying a switch for myself when I have kids? :D

"Dad, can we get a Nintendo Switch?"

"Maybe for your birthday, we'll see. Meanwhile, I'm just going to nip to the shops and buy one for me because it's a Wednesday and the new game looks great".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

seamus wrote: »
    If I were a betting man, I would say there was a team in Nintendo who were tasked with writing a translator that converts the original map(s) into one that can be interpreted by the modern engine.

I'm half wondering if this started on 3DS and very early in development was thrown to Switch; the slightly doll like design of Link reminds me of Link Between Worlds which despite being the best handheld Zelda since GBC featured such a weird design to the point it almost looked slightly off as I genuinely don't know what they were aiming for

The-Legend-of-Zelda-A-Link-Between-Worlds1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'm half wondering if this started on 3DS and very early in development was thrown to Switch; the slightly doll like design of Link reminds me of Link Between Worlds which despite being the best handheld Zelda since GBC featured such a weird design to the point it almost looked slightly off as I genuinely don't know what they were aiming for

https://cdn3.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/The-Legend-of-Zelda-A-Link-Between-Worlds1.jpg

Link Between Worlds was a sequel to Link To The Past, so they were trying to make it look like that, only 3d. Which I think they absolutely nailed.

And similarly with this remake, they're trying to make it look like the original, and I honestly think it's just gorgeous, and they've nailed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Links Awakening has been completely redone with new graphics rendered and developed. I'm sure brand new games would have less work in them. If ports have been €40-60, a practically brand new game, in practically every way in comparison to the source game, which is 20+ years old on a 90's handheld system is going to be between that as well. I'm not sure why people would ever expect new games to be €15, 20, 25, 30 etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭Ultros

Original is a brilliant game, up there with a link to a past for sure as one of the best of all time. Link's awakening hammers LTTP in one area, the overall charm. Some people don't know it was actually made after LTTP. Obviously sound and graphics on the Super Nes are far superior as was the item system, that's the major flaw with the original ( there was other annoyances associated with that like text boxes appearing when you went to lift and didn't have the powerglove etc ). The GB had only two buttons so switching between items becomes extremely tedious after a while, the switch obviously won't have that problem.

It's gratifying to see Nintendo rewarding old fans by creating modern conversions like this and a link between worlds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

This game is new: platform, assets, engine, design, coding, test, marketing, release. The old game is a story board for this. It's a 'reimagining'. Then they will polish the **** out of this. And won't mess it up. Probably still needs to be 10s of hours to justify 60 quid.

Hopefully they totally nail this and bring other top down Zelda's back to life with the same engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

conormario wrote:
    Hopefully they totally nail this and bring other top down Zelda's back to life with the same engine.

Is it too much to dream that they'll surprise us with a €60 3 pack redesign containing Links Awakening, Oracle of Ages & Oracle of seasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭Inviere

100% this will be near full price. I wouldn't be surprised if there's special editions thrown into the mix too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    100% this will be near full price. I wouldn't be surprised if there's special editions thrown into the mix too.

I'd say it'll be no more than the price of a bag of smokey bacon crisps and a bottle of red lemonade

Sure it's only a video game. :)

• Advertisement

conormario wrote: »
    This game is new: platform, assets, engine, design, coding, test, marketing, release. The old game is a story board for this. It's a 'reimagining'. Then they will polish the **** out of this. And won't mess it up. Probably still needs to be 10s of hours to justify 60 quid.

This game needs to do more if Nintendo want to charge €60 for it, yes it's upgraded, but a lot of the hard work is already done; the story, the characters, the music, the map, the dungeons, etc, etc, etc. Yes, Nintendo have to translate it into a colourful modern 3D HD game but it's not entirely new. It's far, far cheaper doing remakes than starting from scratch. It's why so many companies like doing them, and not all pass on the savings with a cheaper price.
    Dzh3wjrX0AATX98?format=jpg&name=small

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/the-legend-of-zelda-links-awakening-switch

On Nintendo's page for this game, it says, "No. of Players To be determined". Zelda games are typically single player, the original was, so why not just say so if that's the case? The DX version had changes, I hope that this remake has far more additional content. As Zelda games go, I've already said it's one the shortest adventures, about 16 hours and that's if you do everything. They can expand the map to the east or west and even to the south. Add new dungeons, weapons, upgrades, modernise it. Remember, we only had 2 buttons back on the Gameboy. So much chopping and changing of items in the inventory, that is one headache that's easily managed now.

So how do you beef the game up? Easy. Add in a 4 Swords style multiplayer mode with online. It doesn't have to be limited to just 4 either. They could remake the old 4 Swords game if need be to speed things up and again make it cheaper. Maybe there'll be a co-op mode in the main story. Who knows, it may be nothing.

Also, I think this game may have at least one perspective change function, there's one point in the trailer where it's zoomed in when Link is beating a red Octorok.

Original DX version for 2.99 on 3ds virtual console with 30 gold points

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/02/get_zelda_links_awakening_for_just_p2_69_before_the_switch_remake_arrives_europe

Just checked and I've got enough gold points. Not sure how.

(edit)
    "no more than the price of a bag of smokey bacon crisps and a bottle of red lemonade" :)

Don't have time to play this plus I've 4 other zeldas to finish.

Will wait for the new version.

I charged up my 3DS to see if I have it (and I do!). Looks like I stopped at 3 dungeons in, so I have a bit of a headstart.

Putting the two oracle games in one bundle with the new engine is a no-brainer. I hope they do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Given that they were developed by Capcom, who knows what would be involved, but they used the same game engine, so *should* be easily do-able.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Given that they were developed by Capcom, who knows what would be involved, but they used the same game engine, so *should* be easily do-able.

Had the same thought, they were outsourced to Capcom iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Inviere wrote: »
    Had the same thought, they were outsourced to Capcom iirc

they are good games, would love to see the minish cap as well another capcom zelda

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As someone who has never played a Zelda, and plan on grabbing BoTW in March, seems like I'm in for a treat

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

TheDoc wrote: »
    As someone who has never played a Zelda, and plan on grabbing BoTW in March, seems like I'm in for a treat

In the meantime get yourself a SNES mini and enjoy Zelda: A link to the past

TheDoc wrote: »

You are, and while it's not as good as A Link to the Past imo, it's still a wonderful game. The remake should be super sweet. Tbh, the direction Zelda went in with BotW was probably necessary for the survival of the series, but I'll always prefer the smaller, far more focused Zelda games like these. Traipsing around an enormous map, cooking elixirs, and the absence of dungeons (outside of the Beasts) diluted things far too much for my liking.
    manual_man wrote: »
    In the meantime get yourself a SNES mini and enjoy Zelda: A link to the past

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Get a 3ds and Ocarina of Time it's a great introduction to Zelda

Advertisement