Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pocophone F1 - The new flagship killer?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭The Soup Thief

I just ordered a 6gb/128gb blue one from eglobalcentral.eu
    Free delivery to Ireland in 6-8 working days
    €326 (using a 5.99 off voucher) which doesn't seem bad
    Order is currently in progress - I'll check back in when it arrives

They're doing a flash sale today so prices for all models have dropped 128gb version is now down to about €312

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Not sure it was mentioned but the 128GB is available for pre-order from Honorbuy European warehouse now. Should ship around the 7th.

https://www.honorbuy.com/1527-xiaomi-pocophone-f1-official-global-version-128gb-smartphone-black.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

They're doing a flash sale today so prices for all models have dropped 128gb version is now down to about €312

The black 128GB is cheaper than the 64GB?!

Are they reliable? Really tempted to pull the trigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

Just remember eglobal take their time. You might have forgotten what you ordered! Pay the bit extra and get it from Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Pay the bit extra and get it from Amazon.

Any idea when one will be able to order from Amazon and the likes?
    Has the Kevlar edition gone on sale anywhere yet?

Just remember eglobal take their time. You might have forgotten what you ordered! Pay the bit extra and get it from Amazon.

I'd consider it, but the cheapest I can find it on Amazon (UK) is about 70 quid more.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

MOH wrote:
    The black 128GB is cheaper than the 64GB?!

MOH wrote:
    Are they reliable? Really tempted to pull the trigger.

Very reliable. As long as you allow 2 weeks for delivery you won't be disappointed. I think Dinny is now awaiting delivery from eglobal. I'll be buying one as soon as I get cash!

Ooh crumbs! Now I'm in a pickle.
    I ordered a 128gb F1 last night, then saw this morning that eglobal central have launched presales of the red one and dropped the price.
    I cancelled my order (got confirmation email) and was going to order the red 128gb one tonight.
    Then I saw you can get a 64gb Mi8 from AliExpress for €325, 128gb for €350!
    The OLED screen, OIS camera, nicer build and the NFC might edge this for me (only real downside is the lack of SD slot, but i reckon i can live with 128gb internal).
    I've an evening to mull...

Ooh crumbs! Now I'm in a pickle.
    I ordered a 128gb F1 last night, then saw this morning that eglobal central have launched presales of the red one and dropped the price.
    I cancelled my order (got confirmation email) and was going to order the red 128gb one tonight.
    Then I saw you can get a 64gb Mi8 from AliExpress for €325, 128gb for €350!
    The OLED screen, OIS camera, nicer build and the NFC might edge this for me (only real downside is the lack of SD slot, but i reckon i can live with 128gb internal).
    I've an evening to mull...

would you not be at risk of duty and customs on the aliexpress route? aren't there extra delivery costs also.

nfc is increasingly useful for sure - pity that it's not on the f1.
    bigger battery on the f1 tho.

the red one is the best colour imo on the normal f1 model

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    would you not be at risk of duty and customs on the aliexpress route? aren't there extra delivery costs also.

nfc is increasingly useful for sure - pity that it's not on the f1.
    bigger battery on the f1 tho.

It's €350 including delivery.

3200mAh battery on the mi 8 is fairly substantial - should easily do me a day and a bit.

Duty though... Good point
    And a glass back (GG5, but even that's not too forgiving)

durability to drops on the f1 seems poor.

broke from a 3 feet drop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFLSRzKO6Ag

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭actuar90

"would you not be at risk of duty and customs on the aliexpress route? aren't there extra delivery costs also."

Is there not a danger of this with eGlobal central also? Thats the main reason I've held off ordering from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

actuar90 wrote: »
    Is there not a danger of this with eGlobal central also? Thats the main reason I've held off ordering from them

nope eGlobal has Euro warehouses

along with other sites like Honorbuy & Geekbuying

yes eglobal you won't get caught for duty

actuar90 wrote: »
    "would you not be at risk of duty and customs on the aliexpress route? aren't there extra delivery costs also."

I emailed eglobal central this morning and got the following reply:

"With regard to your query, we would like to confirm that orders placed on our site, are shipped out from our Hong Kong Warehouse as we are a Hong Kong Based company. The invoice we send is based only on the price of the item, any tax or vat amount will not be indicated on the invoice

However, we ship our orders with special logistics arrangement and therefore all you will need to pay is the prices on website, no VAT, import fees nor hidden charges involved for the customer on any order. Any VAT or customs duties incurred will be settled by eGlobaL. The price you see on the website is the final price you pay for the product.

Hereby, we confirm that we will settle VAT, related taxes and custom charges"

They stop short of stating that they have paid the duties and it seems as if the EU warehouse bit is a fib (when I placed the order with them last night it said it ships from Hong Kong, which is not currently one of the EU 28!)

However, they do indicate above that they'll pick up the tab if you're caught for tax, which is some kind of something...

I feel I may have just taken the pin out of a grenade, so I'm gonna just stroll off and lurk for a bit while you lot chew that over ðŸ€

I think I like the mi8 better, btw

mi 8 is a nicer looking phone with nfc and better overall build quality imo.
    if I could get it for not much more than the f1 I'd go for that. the notch is really big on the f1 also.

going to cost you more tho when the shipping from aliexpress is taken into account.

duty would add another 23% + collection charge again.

some aliexpress sellers claim that the dhl option will avoid customs I think but not sure how reliable that is

mi 8 is a nicer looking phone with nfc and better overall build quality imo.
    if I could get it for not much more than the f1 I'd go for that. the notch is really big on the f1 also.

going to cost you more tho when the shipping from aliexpress is taken into account.

duty would add another 23% + collection charge again.

some aliexpress sellers claim that the dhl option will avoid customs I think but not sure how reliable that is

If your going to spend a little more I'd consider the Honor 10. Available for £359 (€395) from Amazon.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    If your going to spend a little more I'd consider the Honor 10. Available for £359 (€395) from Amazon.

Interesting suggestion, and Huawei do make really nice hardware, but their bootloader policy puts me off a lot. I'd rather have an SD 845 than a Kirin 970, plus I think the mi 8 camera is better regarded. Thanks for the idea though

Madly, Gearbest are doing the honor 10 for €324, 128gb/4gb, delivered with a global ROM (though you'd be stuck on that forever)

TitianGerm wrote:

Nice phone, although the battery is not good enough. I need 4000mah at a minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

durability to drops on the f1 seems poor.

broke from a 3 feet drop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFLSRzKO6Ag

Had one in the shopping cart on laptop and watched that and changed my mind,i have a habit of dropping my phone and that one wouldnt last me long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

TitianGerm wrote: »

At that point i'd keep going and get the Mate 10 Pro @ £399! No notch, OLED, 4000mah & a great camera

Pacifico wrote: »
    At that point i'd keep going and get the Mate 10 Pro @ £399! No notch, OLED, 4000mah & a great camera

Yea saw that as well. I was going to hold off for the OP6T but looking at a few different things at the minute but considering the S9+ and the Oppo F9.

where can you get the mate 10 pro for 399?

glasso wrote:
    where can you get the mate 10 pro for 399?

Pounds :(

Should have said, Currys UK site or Currys have stock on eBay uk

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Am I right in thinking that any version on sale at the moment will come with a two-prong European plug?

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that any version on sale at the moment will come with a two-prong European plug?

probably safe to assume that. some suppliers may provide you with a converter.
    otherwise you can get one for 1.50 in a shop like dealz

looking more into this phone perf (just below 1+6) and camera (around or very just below 1+6) are good.
    good battery.
    but the build quality doesn't seem to be great.
    raised glass on the front seems to make it susceptible to cracking at the sides on dropping even from low heights.
    doesn't have a premium look overall.
    glass on front seems to scratch easily also.
    waterproofing side seems to be poor - obviously not officially certified but besides that would be more prone to water damage than other phones.

so good perf and camera but not without compromises.

• Advertisement

looking more into this phone perf (just below 1+6) and camera (around or very just below 1+6) are good.
    good battery.
    but the build quality doesn't seem to be great.
    raised glass on the front seems to make it susceptible to cracking at the sides on dropping even from low heights.
    doesn't have a premium look overall.
    glass on front seems to scratch easily also.
    waterproofing side seems to be poor - obviously not officially certified but besides that would be more prone to water damage than other phones.

so good perf and camera but not without compromises.

That video above of it being dropped repeatedly on it's corner on a tiled floor wouldn't particularly bother me, especially given it'll be in a case from the moment I unbox it.
    I've seen waterproofing tests that indicate it holds up quite well.
    And it's the same version of Gorilla Glass as on the front of my Onpelus One that's been in my pocket with keys and coins for the past 4 years and doesn't have a mark on it.
    Look is a subjective thing, looks fine to me.

Only reason I've held off on it is the lack of NFC. I'm still not sure a wider European release won't include an NFC version, so holding off on buying an import until that's setteled.

Advertisement