Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

People glued to their phones

Options
  • 08-07-2017 7:31am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭

What's with people today ? Constantly checking facebook and other social networks in social settings. Why aren't people talking face to face anymore ? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

What's with people today ? Constantly checking facebook and other social networks in social settings. Why aren't people talking face to face anymore ? :confused:

What did you use to post this?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    What did you use to post this?

Didn't take too long for the typical smart aleck response

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

They will all be hunchbacks if they don't stop it. :pac:

But seriously I just think it's very bad manners to be constantly looking at your phone when in company of other people in social settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,799 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But seriously I just think it's very bad manners to be constantly looking at your phone when in company of other people in social settings.

Textneck is a serious medical condition.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

What if you dont like the other people?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Jim Bob let me guess you were out last night trying to have a conversation with someone but they were only half listening to you as they were glued to their phone.

What if you dont like the other people?
    What would you have done before mobile phones were invented?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What would you have done before mobile phones were invented?

Walked off/awkward silences...lifes too short to be indulging people you dont like in social situations

Mobile smartphones are probably the greatest invention of the last 20 years tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

421809.jpeg

• Advertisement

Walked off/awkward silences...lifes too short to be indulging people you dont like in social situations

Mobile smartphones are probably the greatest invention of the last 20 years tbh

You are a real people's person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Didn't take too long for the typical smart aleck response

You still haven't answered the original question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    You are a real people's person.

Never claimed to be :D:D

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Why are people so focused on what other people do. If someone spends their own cash on a phone and wants to stare at it 24/7 then so be it. Just like the other thread about veganism, if people minded their own business and worried about their own lives, not everyone else's then the world would be a much better place..

Maybe they want to talk to someone which is impossible if the other person is glued to their phone. How does that compare to telling people what not to eat?

Why are people so focused on what other people do. If someone spends their own cash on a phone and wants to stare at it 24/7 then so be it. Just like the other thread about veganism, if people minded their own business and worried about their own lives, not everyone else's then the world would be a much better place..

They should stay at home then, and stare at it till their hearts content. Why even bothering going out ?

Lt Dan wrote: »
    You still haven't answered the original question

elaborate please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Veganism almost feeds off telling others what to do. No one with a smart phone walks around lecturing others to get one.

Leave them off. Not hurting anyone else..

Of course they are not hurting anyone but why bother going out in the first place to stare at your phone all night ? :confused:

• Advertisement

Leave them off. Not hurting anyone else..

Of course they are not hurting anyone but why bother going out in the first place to stare at your phone all night ? :confused:
    Because they want to? Why do people who sit alone at the bar bother going out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brevity

If you are out with friends then it's rude. If you are on your own then I don't see the problem.

PucaMama wrote: »

Touched a nerve have I ? let me guess, you're one of these sheep who can't go 5 seconds without gawking at their latest arsebook update ?

Touched a nerve have I ? let me guess, you're one of these sheep who can't go 5 seconds without gawking at their latest arsebook update ?

How do you know their looking on facebook??
    Unless your looking at the screen aswell??

They could have the kindle app and be reading a book

PucaMama wrote: »

And your one of these "enlightened" ones who don't realise they are still sheep, just in a slightly smaller flock. You sound like a boring old man. Maybe that's why their phone was more interesting.

If I want to use my phone I use it, I don't really care about some people's dislike for people using the tech they pay a lot of money for and get a lot of enjoyment from.

How do you know their looking on facebook??
    Unless your looking at the screen aswell??

They could have the kindle app and be reading a book

Well they are looking at some form of social media. I just think it's the height of bad manners to be constantly looking at your phone when you are in the company of others. If this is coming across as alien to some people on here something is very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

You'll only ever hear a certain type of person complain about the "technology".

Understanding the reasons why people do so isn't difficult. But I suppose that really isn't the point of this thread OP, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

elaborate please ?

You were asked by another person , what device did you use to compose this thread. Mobile or pc?

Advertisement