Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Earthlings

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭Synthol

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I read them too and still won't accept this nonsense. Back your opinion up with some real **** and I may start to understand you.

I am sure you are trolling.

Achasanai wrote: »
    Is it just the question of whether the organism is sentient that vegans have an issue with? Surely it's the morality of harvesting animals just for our own consumption?

Yes to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Synthol wrote: »
    Read the scientific studies below the video and no you are not healthy.
    The president of the American College of Cardiology is vegan and you think he is a liar? I posted the link in the first page, do I really need to spoon feed you everything? All the information is available freely and quickly if you bother to search for 1 minute. And your arguments are invalid because humans do not need meat to survive or grow, there is no studies showing that meat aided in the development of humans.

Why exactly do you think humans started grouping together in the first place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Plants are not sentient.

You may want to reexamine that statement a bit.

gloobag wrote: »
    Why exactly do you think humans started grouping together in the first place?

I am providing you evidence and you are providing me with opinions, facts against opinions wins 10 times out of 10.
    Vegan diet is much healthier than meat diet and humans do not need meat to survive, that's a fact.

• Advertisement

You may want to reexamine that statement a bit.

Plants are not the same as animals, plans don't have feeling or emotions like animals such as pigs and cows.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Synthol wrote:
    I recommend for everyone to watch this documentary and maybe some of your opinions will change. It changed mine but it wasn't the only reason I became vegan. There are countless studies now and without a single doubt it has been proven that the meat is the number 1 killer of humans in the modern world. Heart disease is the number 1 killer and heart disease is caused by cholesterol and saturated fat, which meat contains in high amounts. Dr. Kim A. Williams Sr. Is a president at the American College of Cardiology and he is a vegan. You can read his interview here:

Could someone watch the video and give us the gist? I could only watch a few minutes..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I am sure you are trolling.

Oh FFS! Trolling? Really?

I'm off to my leabha as you can't debate. Report my posts so..:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

put a vegan and carnivore into wild for a month give em needed tools - result vegan will die eventually ,scientifically proven.

also its no1 reason we dont live in a trees like our ancestors.

scamalert wrote: »
    put a vegan and carnivore into wild for a month give em needed tools - result vegan will die eventually ,scientifically proven.

also its no1 reason we dont live in a trees like our ancestors.

It is perfectly acceptable to kill animals if there is no other choice, however the world has advanced to the stage where we no longer have to rely on meat or live in the wild.

• Advertisement

There is no debate with opinions. I prefer to use facts, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Instead of poking the fire in the meat eater vs vegan never ending debate, maybe if everybody could just cut down a little on the old animal products?

Plenty of nice meat alternatives available these days and sometimes they're even nicer tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,075 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

You calling me a troll is a fact???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

-=al=- wrote: »
    Plenty of nice meat alternatives available these days and sometimes they're even nicer tbh.
    QFT. I had some "Bacon-flavoured" chocolate before, and it was mank.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

'Leaba'. Reported.

Ficheall wrote: »
    QFT. I had some "Bacon-flavoured" chocolate before, and it was mank.

Try vegan burgers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Plants are not the same as animals, plans don't have feeling or emotions like animals such as pigs and cows.

So you are now accepting sentience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

Read the scientific studies below the video and no you are not healthy.
    The president of the American College of Cardiology is vegan and you think he is a liar? I posted the link in the first page, do I really need to spoon feed you everything? All the information is available freely and quickly if you bother to search for 1 minute. And your arguments are invalid because humans do not need meat to survive or grow, there is no studies showing that meat aided in the development of humans.

Hmmm

Vegan wants us to become vegan by watching a video by a vegan about being a vegan, and uses a vegan who promotes veganism as a basis for us to adopt said vegan practices

How's those B12 injections going, OP ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Try vegan burgers.

Manky rotten things...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭jigglypuffstuff

No you prefer to spout nonsense to suit your subjective, biased opinion.

But since you claim to know sooo much about nutrition... Let's argue in facts (FYI if you post any vegan pseudo-facts I will call you out on them)

Fact: Vegan diets lack omega 3, B12 and a whole host of other nutrients

And before you go there...Chia seeds, Flax and all the other pseudo superfoods don't count

The ALA to EPA/DHA conversion is terrible at best

And as for B12... Forget about supplements..I want to know how you meet your B12 requirements naturally

I'll await your fact based response

• Advertisement

So you are now accepting sentience?

Are you trying to confuse me with words? It doesn't matter you won't win anything, the facts speak for themselves. Believe that meat is healthy and die from heart disease.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

pone2012 wrote: »

But since you claim to know sooo much about nutrition... Let's argue in facts (FYI if you post any vegan pseudo-facts I will call you out on them)

And before you go there...Chia seeds, Flax and all the other pseudo superfoods don't count

And as for B12... Forget about supplements..I want to know how you meet your B12 requirements naturally

:confused::confused:

Also what's the problem with supplements, meat is supplemented with B12 too and people over 50 are recommended to supplement it as a lot of them can't absorb enough, no matter what they eat. You can also get vegan EPA/DHA and your body converts more ALA when you have less of it in your system.
    Dietetics/health organisations on veganism

All the major dietetics and health organizations in the world agree that vegan and vegetarian diets are just as healthy as omnivorous diets. Here are links to what some of them have to say on the subject:

Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics

It is the position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics that appropriately planned vegetarian, including vegan, diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits for the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. These diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, adolescence, older adulthood, and for athletes.
    Dietitians of Canada

A well planned vegan diet can meet all of these needs. It is safe and healthy for pregnant and breastfeeding women, babies, children, teens and seniors.
    The British National Health Service

With good planning and an understanding of what makes up a healthy, balanced vegan diet, you can get all the nutrients your body needs.
    The British Nutrition Foundation

A well-planned, balanced vegetarian or vegan diet can be nutritionally adequate ... Studies of UK vegetarian and vegan children have revealed that their growth and development are within the normal range.
    The Dietitians Association of Australia

Vegan diets are a type of vegetarian diet, where only plant-based foods are eaten. They differ to other vegetarian diets in that no animal products are usually consumed or used. Despite these restrictions, with good planning it is still possible to obtain all the nutrients required for good health on a vegan diet.
    The United States Department of Agriculture

Vegetarian diets (see context) can meet all the recommendations for nutrients. The key is to consume a variety of foods and the right amount of foods to meet your calorie needs. Follow the food group recommendations for your age, sex, and activity level to get the right amount of food and the variety of foods needed for nutrient adequacy. Nutrients that vegetarians may need to focus on include protein, iron, calcium, zinc, and vitamin B12.
    The National Health and Medical Research Council

Alternatives to animal foods include nuts, seeds, legumes, beans and tofu. For all Australians, these foods increase dietary variety and can provide a valuable, affordable source of protein and other nutrients found in meats. These foods are also particularly important for those who follow vegetarian or vegan dietary patterns. Australians following a vegetarian diet can still meet nutrient requirements if energy needs are met and the appropriate number and variety of serves from the Five Food Groups are eaten throughout the day. For those eating a vegan diet, supplementation of B12 is recommended.
    The Mayo Clinic

A well-planned vegetarian diet (see context) can meet the needs of people of all ages, including children, teenagers, and pregnant or breast-feeding women. The key is to be aware of your nutritional needs so that you plan a diet that meets them.
    The Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada

Vegetarian diets (see context) can provide all the nutrients you need at any age, as well as some additional health benefits.
    Harvard Medical School

Traditionally, research into vegetarianism focused mainly on potential nutritional deficiencies, but in recent years, the pendulum has swung the other way, and studies are confirming the health benefits of meat-free eating. Nowadays, plant-based eating is recognized as not only nutritionally sufficient but also as a way to reduce the risk for many chronic illnesses.

pone2012 wrote: »

Omg, I am done.

:confused::confused:

Also what's the problem with supplements, meat is supplemented with B12 too and people over 50 are recommended to supplement it as a lot of them can't absorb enough, no matter what they eat. You can also get vegan EPA/DHA and your body converts more ALA when you have less of it in your system.

Thank you.
    The thing is they will not bother to find the information and will spout absolute nonsense, even if you put facts right in their face. The delusion is unreal.

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Manky rotten things...

Tastes like meat and says they are manky rotten things, sure man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Genuine question here: How come vegans can't have dairy products such as cheese or milk? I can understand not wanting to kill an animal but I don't believe a cow is suffering if a person was to milk it because a calf would be sucking her tits anyway to get milk so what difference does it make if a person squeezes the cows tits to get the milk. How do we know the cow is suffering during this process?

Tastes like meat and says they are manky rotten things, sure man.

If it tasted like meat it would be meat....its not meat.
    You stick to eating crap and ill stick to eating cows...

gitzy16v wrote: »
    If it tasted like meat it would be meat....its not meat.
    You stick to eating crap and ill stick to eating cows...

Sure, enjoy heart disease.

Genuine question here: How come vegans can't have dairy products such as cheese or milk? I can understand not wanting to kill an animal but I don't believe a cow is suffering if a person was to milk it because a calf would be sucking her tits anyway to get milk so what difference does it make if a person squeezes the cows tits to get the milk. How do we know the cow is suffering during this process?

Watch the documentary I posted in my first post.

• Advertisement

Sure, enjoy heart disease.

From what?
    My moderate intake of red meat.

Enjoy malnourishment.

Advertisement