Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Goalkeepers

• 06-04-2016 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if there are any other goalkeepers on this board? If so what is your technique for kickouts? i want to add distance but cant find myself getting the strike i need!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

slingerz wrote: »
    Just wondering if there are any other goalkeepers on this board? If so what is your technique for kickouts? i want to add distance but cant find myself getting the strike i need!

Very similar to golf,Get the swing correctly and dont worry distance,It will come as the practice continues,Kicking against the gable of a house of into a goal is best.

I would recommend shortening the run up as much as possible also

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

slingerz wrote: »

The best technique for distance is to ensure you are hitting the right spot on the ball. Get the strike perfected, and the distance will then come with power once you can hit the ball correctly. What I usualyl advise is when placing the ball on the tee, to have the "O Neills" or whatever text on the ball facing you. Then slightly tilt it so that the text is at about 30 degree angle downwards. Thats the point of the ball you want to hit, so you are not getting underneath the strike and hitting it straight up in the air. It's almost like a volley in soccer with the leg action, the leg swing is as much a sideways swing as it is an up and down swing.

looking at this smiley :pac: the angle of the bottom part of the mouth is where you should be kicking his face.

I'd also suggest you get someone to video you from the front and the side and it may help you see where your whole body position is as the better your head and core is affects the power you can generate. If you are too upright or if your head is down too much, this will hinder you. The placement of your standing leg also is a factor, so having a video can help you visualise what you may need to change or work on improving.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tcrilly52

Hit the Ball at Shoulder height(hurling) and try hit the round part of the ball ir not the ridges and I also use a plastic Hurl for puckouts only as I find I get an extra 10-15 years maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

If you're playing against a stong breeze kick the ball out at an angle. A Clareman told me (no lie! ) that he once attended a football match in Kilkee, and saw a fullback score a point against himself from a kickout. There was a gale blowing.

Advertisement