Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox One Elite Controller thread

• 17-01-2016 1:53am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Someone mentioned a while back that we should start a thread for the Elite Controller, perhaps in a joking manner, but it's not actually a bad idea. Any time anyone mentions that they're thinking about splashing out on this, everyone that owns one already seems to jump into the thread to talk about how utterly great it is (including myself), and it's starting to fill up the general thread.

If there's another load of Elite controller posts in one of the other threads, I'll move them in here.

With that out of the way, here's why the Elite is getting so many posts: It's an incredibly well engineered piece of tech. They've put a lot of thought into almost every single section of the controller, the weight is a little heavier than the standard controller, the triggers and shoulder buttons feel great, and the sticks seem a little tighter.

Then there's all the customisation you can do. The triggers can be set so they don't have as much travel, the d-pad can be swapped out, as can the sticks. You can add on paddles onto the back that can replicate the face buttons, meaning that you can press them without needing to take your thumbs off the sticks.

The entire thing can also be customised through an app, allowing you to swap buttons at will.

As to whether this will give someone an unfair advantage, it really won't. It's not going to automatically make you a better player, in fact, to get the most out of this controller, you'd need to be a pro player.

So why do I think it's still worth the massive amount of money? It's the premium feel of it. Going from the standard controller to the Elite is like getting out of your Opal Corsa and sitting behind the wheel of a brand new Mercedes. It's not going to make you a better driver, but it just feels so much better.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Might be cool if people post up their custom profiles as well.

For Halo 5, I use the paddles for jump, crouch, boost and reload/activate. I can press in the right stick to change weapon. The bumpers are for grenade and melee.

For forza horizon 2 I use them for gear up / down handbrake and cycle through views (i usually play from inside the car but the off-road sections through the vineyards have very limited visibility so I pop out to behind the car)

Any game outside of an fps or driving , I use my standard controller.

Also, this video explains how to adjust the trigger sensitivity so that you don't have problems when using the shorter pull (trigger stops)

It's not just for halo 5, works for anytimw you come across this, I believe casting signs in the witcher was another occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Any game outside of an fps or driving , I use my standard controller.

Do you go back to the standard controller for other games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Hey, it's on sale at Argos. Less than half brain!

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-17%20at%2016.34.46_zps4avjg0ub.png

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,120 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

dunworth1 wrote: »

I don't anyway. I use the paddles instead of the 4 buttons for pretty much everything now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Anyone using it with the steam link instead of steam controller, how you getting on with it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Anyone using it with the steam link instead of steam controller, how you getting on with it?

Haven't been using it with steam link, so I can help you there, but as far as I know, only Windows 10 supports Xbox One controllers.

I've been using it wired for a few games on Windows 10 and it's great. It's still fully customisable, and the headset sockets work as well.

dunworth1 wrote: »

I do indeed, it's less hassle than loading in the standard button mapping into the elite again.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

CatInABox wrote: »
    Haven't been using it with steam link, so I can help you there, but as far as I know, only Windows 10 supports Xbox One controllers.

I've been using it wired for a few games on Windows 10 and it's great. It's still fully customisable, and the headset sockets work as well.

Mere hours after posting the above, I see an article saying SteamOS now supports Xbox One Controllers.

See here.

Will the xbox play and charge kit work with the controller?

Also the controller is starting to come back into stock in argos for E150

• Advertisement

Will the xbox play and charge kit work with the controller?

Also the controller is starting to come back into stock in argos for E150

Yes, but only the official ones hook on properly. By some reports, it results in a longer battery life too.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

Picking up a new controller 2 Morro as one of the thumb stick on my day one has a mind of its own. Have one reserved in Argos it's only an extra €80 so I think I shud go with it.anybody have any hassle with them yet

gotthebug wrote: »
    Picking up a new controller 2 Morro as one of the thumb stick on my day one has a mind of its own. Have one reserved in Argos it's only an extra €80 so I think I shud go with it.anybody have any hassle with them yet

Other than the fact that you'll probably never be able to go back to a normal controller again? No problems that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭gotthebug

CatInABox wrote: »
    Other than the fact that you'll probably never be able to go back to a normal controller again? No problems that I know of.

Picked it up today def a high upgrade on the original haven't used yet but looking forward to it.argos have the €10 voucher when u spend 100 so really only cost 139.99 so good price

• Registered Users Posts: 27,764 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

gotthebug wrote: »
    Picked it up today def a high upgrade on the original haven't used yet but looking forward to it.argos have the €10 voucher when u spend 100 so really only cost 139.99 so good price

Mortal Combat is €24 or Witcher 3 is €34 in Argos so you could pick up either cheap enough with your voucher.

Edit: Welcome to the club :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

emmetkenny wrote:
    Edit: Welcome to the club

You could say he "got the bug".

I'll leave now...

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    You could say he "got the bug".

I'll leave now...

Yes do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

I saw a couple people on another thread saying the battery losts longer, is it an extra hour or two, or is it just like five minutes

Rorok wrote: »
    I saw a couple people on another thread saying the battery losts longer, is it an extra hour or two, or is it just like five minutes

Seems like a few days for me. I'm using an official rechargeable battery in mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

So, the Venom charging pack doesn't fit in the Elite. Having the controllers simply placed on a charging stand was very nifty, but looks like this is not an option for the new addition.

I was reading above that the official play-and-charge would work with the Elite, but it's not clear to me how this works. If you put that battery pack inside your Elite, how do you charge it?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

JoyPad wrote: »
    So, the Venom charging pack doesn't fit in the Elite. Having the controllers simply placed on a charging stand was very nifty, but looks like this is not an option for the new addition.

I was reading above that the official play-and-charge would work with the Elite, but it's not clear to me how this works. If you put that battery pack inside your Elite, how do you charge it?

Thanks.

The official plug and play is like a battery pack. Just goes into the controller like normal battery and charges off the controller USB.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,120 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Argos have them for 150 now, 20 euro less than what I paid for it there. Few places seem to have them in stock at the moment too.

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

It'll be great when there are loads of different options available :)

For the past month I've been going between the elite controller for Halo 5 and the regular one for Tomb Raider and the Witcher. At the weekend I fired up my 360 to collect some uplay points ahead of the division launching. wow does the 360 pad feel weird now!

and that party chat! - the audio quality is like two bean cans with a string tied between them.

Now they let people set the X1 & X2 buttons on the chatpad to do multiple functions including taking a screenshot and recording, there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't allow us to set it to one of our paddles.

Part of the preview update, not sure if public or not:

Controller Firmware Update:
    Xbox One Elite Controller - The Xbox One Elite Controller received a firmware update at the beginning of 1603. This update enables configuration of thumbstick sensitivity curves in the Xbox Accessories app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

stock in smyths gents just got one in letterkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭wexdevil

Just a quick(dumb?) question but I'm considering taking the plunge and getting an elite controller as the trigger in my day one controller is on the way out. Is the elite controller covered by the argos replacement product care thing or how long is the warranty for sending it back to be repaired?(on the off chance mine somehow breaks)

• Advertisement

wexdevil wrote: »
    Just a quick(dumb?) question but I'm considering taking the plunge and getting an elite controller as the trigger in my day one controller is on the way out. Is the elite controller covered by the argos replacement product care thing or how long is the warranty for sending it back to be repaired?(on the off chance mine somehow breaks)

I'm on my second one, argos replaced the first no hassle after 3 or 4 months.

Advertisement