Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What would you like the next referendum to legalise abortion or euthanasia?

• 25-05-2015 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What would you like the next referendum to legalise abortion or euthanasia?

What would you like the next referendum to legalise abortion or euthanasia 230 votes

Abortion
    0% 0 votes
    Euthanasia
    67% 155 votes
    Neither
    32% 75 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I am not aware of any push for euthanasia.

Although I would like to see the issues around "assisted suicide" dealt with as demonstrated in recent cases.

also "legalise abortion" is far too broad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Can we have an options for divorce laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

Euthanasia. Futurama-style suicide booths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Gay divorce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Our abortion laws should be brought in line with the rest of the civilised, secular world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I think personal choice of either should be legalised.

I wouldn't be in favour of abortion myself, but if i was raped by someone then I would certainly have to consider it. And I would like to have the choice rather than having to travel across the water for it.
    Also if it were to be legalised, then I think it shouldn't be allowed after the 12 week mark.

Euthanasia again should be a personal choice, the way some people are living through a chronic terminal illness is awful. To be able to die with dignity and not in pain should be allowed.

If an animal had a terminal illness we wouldn't hesitate in helping to put them to sleep. Doesn't seem fair that we dont give humans the same respect.

jessiejam wrote: »
    I wouldn't be in favour of abortion myself, but if i was raped by someone then I would certainly have to consider it. And I would like to have the choice rather than having to travel across the water for it.
    I think everyone should have the choice disregarding the circumstances.
    jessiejam wrote: »
    Also if it were to be legalised, then I think it shouldn't be allowed after the 12 week mark.
    Some hospitals now will only do the first scan at 22 weeks (Holles St for example). Maybe it's a catholic thing to stop people aborting a disabled foetus, I don't know. But taking that into consideration I would say that 12 weeks is too early for a cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I'd like to see both but I think abortion is a more important issue, it affects more people than assisted suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭silverfeather

RayM wrote: »
    Our abortion laws should be brought in line with the rest of the civilised, secular world.
    Here here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I think assisted suicide is much more important than abortion. People are living / slowly dying with horrendous pain, and our nation is forcing them to do so, threatening prison and legal action if they seek help for a peaceful end to their pain. It's absolutely barbaric and I'm tired of it being trivialised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'd like to see both but I think abortion is a more important issue, it affects more people than assisted suicide.

You think that the issue of people who get pregnant and decide not to keep the baby is a more important issue than helping people to put an end to their chronic unimaginable suffering?

And if you're referring to pregnant rape victims, well there are far more people living with horrific pain every day than there are pregnant rape victims.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

Next referendum get rid of divorce.

DareGod wrote: »
    You think that the issue of people who get pregnant and decide not to keep the baby is a more important issue than helping people to put an end to their chronic unimaginable suffering?

And if you're referring to pregnant rape victims, well there are far more people living with horrific pain every day than there are pregnant rape victims.

I'm just basing that on the numbers of women who go to the UK and the numbers of people who are involved in pro choice groups. I don't see much traction for assisted suicide.

DareGod wrote: »

I'd say so. I know more people who've had abortions than people who've committed suicide or even attempted it because of 'chronic unimaginable suffering' as you put it.

kidneyfan wrote: »
    Next referendum get rid of divorce.

Sorry, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Nollog

Why not both?

Give the electorate a headache from all the debates and posters.

• Legalise weed next.
    Then legalise abortions under 20 weeks.
    Then legalise euthanasia.

Or put them all together in a referendum, sit back and eat popcorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Sydney Chilly Magnate

I'd love to see the eighth amendment repealed, and I believe I'll live to see it, but if it went to the polls tomorrow there wouldn't be a hope of it passing. It'll be a far bigger watershed moment in Ireland's journey away from it's fundy Catholic past than Friday's vote, in my opinion.

And it'll make the debate that's been going on for the past few months look like a teddy bears' tea party, it's going to be a bloodbath.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,143 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm with /\/ollog, I think we should have a whole heap of them at the same time. If Americans are able to vote on multiple issues at the same time as voting for the myriad different offices they elect, I'm sure we could manage to have referendums on Abortion, Assisted Suicide, Removal of Religion from the Constitution, Gender Neutrality, Ammendments to Divorce Law and removal of the Blasphemy clause in a single trip to the ballot.

I'd love to see the eighth amendment repealed, and I believe I'll live to see it, but if it went to the polls tomorrow there wouldn't be a hope of it passing. It'll be a far bigger watershed moment in Ireland's journey away from it's fundy Catholic past than Friday's vote, in my opinion.

And it'll make the debate that's been going on for the past few months look like a teddy bears' tea party, it's going to be a bloodbath.

Poor choice of words :D

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    I'm with /\/ollog, I think we should have a whole heap of them at the same time. If Americans are able to vote on multiple issues at the same time as voting for the myriad different offices they elect, I'm sure we could manage to have referendums on Abortion, Assisted Suicide, Removal of Religion from the Constitution, Gender Neutrality, Ammendments to Divorce Law and removal of the Blasphemy clause in a single trip to the ballot.

Can you imagine the crap that Iona would put on all their campaign posters?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Sydney Chilly Magnate

Sleepy wrote: »

But the posters...imagine the state of the place :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

How could we legalise abortion or euthanasia? Judging by the logic of the No sides in referendum we would all run out and get euthanized as soon as it's allowed. Kids would start euthanizing themselves because society says it's ok, that's if they survived the mass abortions that would take place.

Telpis!

• Sleepy wrote: »

Considering I know a lot of people that said yes to both referenda in case they voted no wrongly, i can imagine the same happenning with your example.

I'm of the firm belief that had we been voting on equal marriage and repeal the 8th at the same time, equal marriage would have lost as people would have ticked no for both lest they mixed up their votes.

How could we legalise abortion or euthanasia? Judging by the logic of the No sides in referendum we would all run out and get euthanized as soon as it's allowed. Kids would start euthanizing themselves because society says it's ok, that's if they survived the mass abortions that would take place.

Telpis!

No no, you have it all wrong. If we were to vote on abortion or euthanasia then clearly the gays would be renting women in the third world to have abortions and then kill themselves just for the fun or it.

I'd love to see the eighth amendment repealed, and I believe I'll live to see it, but if it went to the polls tomorrow there wouldn't be a hope of it passing.
    I think it'll be repealed in our lifetimes but I think were it to go to the polls tomorrow you might be pleasantly surprised.

The Referendum on Human Life in Pregnancy (2002) was a close run contest and there have been many more Irish ladies who've had to take a boat/flight to the UK to have an abortion there since.

smash wrote: »
    Can you imagine the crap that Iona would put on all their campaign posters?
    With any luck, the twenty or so of the eejits would be too stretched to manage much impact.
    Considering I know a lot of people that said yes to both referenda in case they voted no wrongly, i can imagine the same happenning with your example.

I'm of the firm belief that had we been voting on equal marriage and repeal the 8th at the same time, equal marriage would have lost as people would have ticked no for both lest they mixed up their votes.
    It's rare when I find myself defending the common sense of the common man but I think the average Irish person is more than capable of managing to vote their wishes if the wording of any changes and the ballots themselves are kept relatively free of legal jargon and Irish (have separate ballots available in Irish for the miniscule minority who'll demand the right to tick a box in their hobby language)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

No no, you have it all wrong. If we were to vote on abortion or euthanasia then clearly the gays would be renting women in the third world to have abortions and then kill themselves just for the fun or it.

Sure it's all YOLO these days, isn't it?

Imagine the conundrum for Iona :eek: They want women to choose adoption over abortion but now those babies might be adopted by the gays...what to do, what to do!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭No Voter And Proud

Sure it's all YOLO these days, isn't it?

That's the problem.
    We've lost our way as a society. Too many civil freedoms and liberties.

I think if the UK leave the EU we should aswell.

Advertisement