Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nibiru (Planet X for the plebs)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Here is one example, people used to laugh at people that believed the u.s spied on its own people and monitored there phone lines internet activity etc etc, well it turned out it was all true.
    A lot of people would want to wake up and question more about what is going on around them.

It been reported at least since 1988.
    http://www.duncancampbell.org/menu/journalism/newstatesman/newstatesman-1988/They%27ve%20got%20it%20taped.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

I recall one that there is a cure for cancer but the pharmaceutical companies won't bring it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

If people want to believe weird stuff that's their business, what baffles me is other people using these threads as a means to indulge some strange superiority complex. I'm not sure which group is worse,or more boring.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

nullzero wrote: »
    If people want to believe weird stuff that's their business, what baffles me is other people using these threads as a means to indulge some strange superiority complex. I'm not sure which group is worse,or more boring.

Right on. Dont indulge in our petty games. Be the better person.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,349 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Right on. Dont indulge in our petty games. Be the better person.

Ok

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Reiver wrote: »
    There are things out there we can't explain.
    Doesn't mean 'there are things out there that are inexplicable'.

These 'things that can't be explained', by the way? Why are they always 'out there'?

Edit: Now that I think of it, you appear to be referring to purported paranormal phenomena. Are you just into fluffy thinking generally? Do you have chakras?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

What about the Reverse vampires and the Saucer people ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What about the Reverse vampires and the Saucer people ?

Loved their early stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

Talking to a very conservative Catholic relative of mine and she was looking in the sky at the "chemtrails." She was explaining them to me and I know her son is very intelligent and training to be a GP so I asked her what he thinks and she said "ah yeah, he thinks it's a conspiracy." Blown away by that I asked him when I saw him and he said that she meant "conspiracy theory" and he has his head wrecked trying to explain to them how bonkers it is so he's given up.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Reiver

endacl wrote: »
    Doesn't mean 'there are things out there that are inexplicable'.

These 'things that can't be explained', by the way? Why are they always 'out there'?

Edit: Now that I think of it, you appear to be referring to purported paranormal phenomena. Are you just into fluffy thinking generally? Do you have chakras?

I'm a big believer in positive and negative energy. You reap what you sow.

And it's only by keeping an open mind and taking the blinkers off that we can question the universe. How else did we explore all the far corners of this planet? Our Gaia.

Maybe we're alone. Maybe we're not. They are both equally terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

A few years ago I found myself going out with a full blown conspiracy theorist. Everything was questioned and generally the Jews were to blame. Her whole family were involved in it too.

(She was hot, and I was young :D )

My favourite theory was that there was an invisible planet on the periphery on our solar system. I think it was supposed to be a giant space ship monitoring earth and her people. The ship was under the command of the galactic federation of species (all very earth-like species. Monkey people, dolphin people, lizard people) captained by a Lion-man.

Come the time that the earth would be destroyed, this galactic NATO would come down and save the believers in Planet X and welcome them into their club.

She believed this 100%.

I bailed when the crazy got too crazy. However, conspiracy theorists make up a sizeable sub culture. So much so that you can't mention 9/11 without getting the inside job routine.

So what's your favourite or craziest conspiracy theory that people you've met believed in?

I'd ask you what's the craziest theory you believe in but that would hardly work ;)

The sole conclusion I've come to after reading this is that she must have been absolutely smokin' hot for the OP to have put up with more then a minute of listening to the shoite that poured out of her defective brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Leo Varadker is a lizard alien. Where's the grain of truth in that legend? :D

If you look carefully, you see how uncomfortable he is in that ill fitting 'human suit'....

Enda Kenny was actually born deep in the Brazillian rainforest, part of a genetic engineering program to place alien hybrids in positions of power.

I wish to encourage our alien overlords to keep trying, because I'd hate to see the room full for their previous failed attempts, grotesque, mangled creatures all begging "please kill elect me!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

nullzero wrote: »
    People can't be stopped from believing whatever they believe in (although "wanting" to believe in something would indicate they know it's likely not real) - what I object to from conspiracy theorists is when they insist their belief is the truth, with no conclusive evidence, sometimes with evidence to the contrary, and just resorting to "Wake up sheeple" when challenged.
    But nobody's stopping them from believing what they believe. I don't see a problem with challenging their views though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Lizzard people from inside the earth takes some beating.

There was a poster in the conspiracy theories thread a few years ago who went well beyond the standard secret society stuff and give it millions about pyramids, gateways, lizzard folk and the like. Great stuff to read, amazing the things that people will cling to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Well there are conspiracy's that don't add up under scrutiny like JFK. Some standard ones that are not to unbelievable. But then you have aliens that can navigate interstellar or extra dimensional space, that cant fly in the atmosphere and always crash.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

A few years ago I found myself going out with a full blown conspiracy theorist. Everything was questioned and generally the Jews were to blame. Her whole family were involved in it too.

My favourite theory was that there was an invisible planet on the periphery on our solar system. I think it was supposed to be a giant space ship monitoring earth and her people. The ship was under the command of the galactic federation of species (all very earth-like species. Monkey people, dolphin people, lizard people) captained by a Lion-man.

Come the time that the earth would be destroyed, this galactic NATO would come down and save the believers in Planet X and welcome them into their club.

She believed this 100%.

I bailed when the crazy got too crazy. However, conspiracy theorists make up a sizeable sub culture. So much so that you can't mention 9/11 without getting the inside job routine.

So what's your favourite or craziest conspiracy theory that people you've met believed in?

I'd ask you what's the craziest theory you believe in but that would hardly work ;)

Nice try mate.....trying to equate people who question government accounts of things with nutcases who believe in the fucking planet Kwok, home of the cockroach-people or some such shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Egginacup wrote: »
    who believe in the fucking planet Kwok, home of the cockroach-people or some such shit.

They were invaded by Russian backed beatles. But no insigina on the uniforms so its hard to be sure. Just a co-incidence.

Planet Nibiru? No government is competent enough to hide that from the worlds population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Seamus1964

I believed "Milli Vanilli" once..

Nothing puts me off someone more than their belief in bollocks.

Chatting to this lovely woman in a bar once, had a really lovely warm personality and seemed very intelligent.

Until the sucker punch. 'So do you have chemtrails in Ireland too?'

Why do people believe in such nonsense? Whyyyyyy?

You should have told her "We used to have until the Leprechauns banned them."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭superfurry1

Anything by David Icke / Jim Coor :D

• Advertisement

People can't be stopped from believing whatever they believe in (although "wanting" to believe in something would indicate they know it's likely not real) - what I object to from conspiracy theorists is when they insist their belief is the truth, with no conclusive evidence, sometimes with evidence to the contrary, and just resorting to "Wake up sheeple" when challenged.
    But nobody's stopping them from believing what they believe. I don't see a problem with challenging their views though.

The problem comes from both sides. A person who follows the official explanation of say, 9/11, when confronted by someone who doesn't believe the official explanation will demand an alternative explanation and then scoff at it. Conversely, the challenger will table his explanation and scoff at the explanation of the official believer.

Neither will examine one piece of evidence, science, rumour, whatever from one side or the other and together go through it until they are satisfied that it is either sound or suspect. The debate never gets anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

She believed this 100%.

There might be a gas giant out there. That much she got right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

some CTs are certainly off the wall though the theory of Nibiru well there might just be something to that. its plausible.

WakeUp wrote: »
    some CTs are certainly off the wall though the theory of Nibiru well there might just be something to that. its plausible.

No. Utter, utter sh1t. If there us a planet out there, its a gas giant. Not a giant lizard, or whatever nonsense you think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I can't do this on the CT Forum, but I can do it here...........

HaHaHaHaHa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

Saipanne wrote: »
    No. Utter, utter sh1t. If there us a planet out there, its a gas giant. Not a giant lizard, or whatever nonsense you think it is.

lol who said anything about a giant lizard? :D watch the video Saipanne just have a look....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Egginacup wrote: »
    Nice try mate.....trying to equate people who question government accounts of things with nutcases who believe in the fucking planet Kwok, home of the cockroach-people or some such shit.

No problem mate. I'm on the cia payroll

WakeUp wrote: »
    lol who said anything about a giant lizard? :D watch the video Saipanne just have a look....

No. Do your own persuading. That's what I laugh about with you lot. You genuinely think posting a video is an argument.

L oh L

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Sand

There's two motivations I've found beyond simple gullibility. One is narcissism. You know the truth, the real story. You must be really smart, while everyone else is a fool who follows the mainstream account: "wake up sheeple". Second is fear. The CT referenced about the MH17/MH379 switcheroo is an example. Its absolutely terrifying to realise that people can be shot down whilst flying on holiday for absolutely no reason or cause beyond a huge error on the part of some random yokels with a SAM. It demonstrates how completely control of your life is out of your hands. It could all end any second. Terrifying. Its far more comforting to believe they bad things that happen in the world are due to an evil but rational and understandable organisation or conspiracy. At least that you can wrap your head around.

Very hard to reach someone whose full of fear and narcissism. Conspiracy theories serve to feed their narcissism and also act as a comfort blanket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Saipanne wrote: »
    No. Do your own persuading. That's what I laugh about with you lot. You genuinely think posting a video is an argument.

L oh L

You should watch the video - its actually a very convincing argument.

Advertisement