Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Want to become a leader.

Options
  • 03-12-2010 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭

Heya there i am really interested in becoming involved with the scouts as a leader. I dont mind which division of scouts just as long as i get involved :).
    I'm 20 , did scouts from beavers and left just before investeture in scouts (one of my biggest regrets ever!. So anyho how would i go about signing up as a leader? Is there much training involved and how long would it take/cost?
    Any info would be great :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Hey;
    You shouldnt have any bother finding somewhere-everywhere i know is crying out for leaders.
    Check out
    www.scouts.ie for your local unit and see if there's any contact details for a leader or group leader. Give them a shout and they'll let you know what the story is and set you up.
    You'll have to be Garda vetted,which takes a few weeks, and there are training courses to be done too but they can be fun!
    Won't cost you anything really-unit will pay for your uniform.

I was the same as yourself,involved when i was a kid and now am a cub scout leader the past few years. I love it!

Any more info you need just shout:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

Hairspray wrote: »
    Heya there i am really interested in becoming involved with the scouts as a leader. I dont mind which division of scouts just as long as i get involved :).
    I'm 20 , did scouts from beavers and left just before investeture in scouts (one of my biggest regrets ever!. So anyho how would i go about signing up as a leader? Is there much training involved and how long would it take/cost?
    Any info would be great :)

Hiya, its great you want to get involved again. What part of the country are you in???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

Thanks for the replies =). I plan to get involved in the new year since as memory serves me right from scouting they will be wrapping up very soon!
    I'm in kingswood which is right beside the 158th Castleview where i went to as a kid. I think i'll email them later and ask them if they will take me back xD.

Is being a leader and leader training very time consuming do you know? I'm a final year science student taking a break from work and i swear time is the one thing i have plenty off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

Thanks for the replies =). I plan to get involved in the new year since as memory serves me right from scouting they will be wrapping up very soon!
    I'm in kingswood which is right beside the 158th Castleview where i went to as a kid. I think i'll email them later and ask them if they will take me back xD.

Is being a leader and leader training very time consuming do you know? I'm a final year science student taking a break from work and i swear time is the one thing i have plenty off :)

Good idea send them an email I`m sure they would be only too delighted to see you all grown up now and wanting to take part. It can be as time consuming as you want it to be or not to be, very much up to yourself on what your prepared to put into it. I`m section leader and have to say it takes u a lot of my time but other leaders give as they can when they can. Good Luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Won't cost you anything really-unit will pay for your uniform.

ha ha, yeah right

aside from that pretty much spot on, get in touch with your local group(s). I can't see anyone being turned away these days, there's shortage of leaders everywhere due to all the red tape and H&S nonsense enforced on them.

I heard reports that the vetting system is quite backlogged at the moment so may take a while to get that done.

Join up now, why wait? You'll miss whatever Christmas activities take place, I think we only missed one of two weeks over xmas anyway as always planning for hikes or camps just after new years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 sparky20203

Hey there,

Not too sure if you ever did manager to get in contact with the leaders in Castleview. I'm a leader in the section. If you haven't contacted anyone in the Unit, and are still interested in becoming a leader, drop me a PM, and I can pass your details onto the appropriate leader. And yes, much like every other troop, we'd welcome you with open arms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 LtFrankdrebbin

Hey there,

Not too sure if you ever did manager to get in contact with the leaders in Castleview. I'm a leader in the section. If you haven't contacted anyone in the Unit, and are still interested in becoming a leader, drop me a PM, and I can pass your details onto the appropriate leader. And yes, much like every other troop, we'd welcome you with open arms!

Hi there, just wondering if you would have any info on becoming a leader, i have been doing some looking around various sites looking for info on getting ivolved. I was in the 38th Belgard sai cubs/scouts for years when i was a kid and progressed into the reserve army for a couple of years in my early 20s, i have been getting back into hiking and camping the last year and was thinking it would be interesting, im 30 now and i enjoyed my time in the scouts and military and would like to maybe get involved.

Any info would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 sparky20203

Hey,

There's plenty of information and resources on the Scouting IReland websites (http://www.scouts.ie). But if you are interested in becoming a leader, the best thing to do would be to drop down to the den and speak to the section leader. They could give you most of the information you would be looking for.

Prior to being permitted to attend meetings, you will have to be Garda vetted. After this, you will have to do your Stage 1 training. You can then attend meetings and go on events. But as I said, the best thing to do would be to get in contact with your local scouting section and speak to the leaders.

If your still based in the Belgard area, drop me a PM and I can give you more info on contacting the Section Leader for Castleview.

Advertisement