Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New York

Options
  • 12-05-2016 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

LINK

Does the plug need to be pulled on New York as an entrant into the Connacht championship? Connacht council secretary admits it would cause logistical and financial problems were they to claim a victory. Unfortunatley, just as when New York were in the Ulster hurling championship, it's all fine up until they actually win a match.

In 2006, their hurlers shocked Derry and claimed a place in the Ulster final, but this caused a major problem as they were unable to travel to Ireland for the Ulster final as many of their players did not have legal immigrant status, so leaving the United States was not an option. The final was eventually played that October when Antrim agreed to travel to Boston.

If New York were to win a game in the Connacht championship (and going by recent years it's becoming increasingly likely) could we be again faced with a situation whereby they can't travel to Ireland for the next round? Is it really worth including them if their inclusion is basically conditional upon them losing their sole game every year? Have the GAA considered what happens if they win?

For one, it (a New York win) kind of places uncertainty over the qualifiers. Suddenly 17 counties instead of 16 enter round 1 of the qualifiers, meaning one preliminary qualifier game is required to bring it back to 16 teams.

Let's say New York lose their Connacht semi final game; do they even take part in the qualifiers now? They haven't up to now, if they did fair enough, but if they didn't now you'd have the 8 round 1 qualifier winners entering round 2 with just 7 defeated provincial semi finalists, meaning 1 team now needs a bye into round 3.

Similar messy scenarios if they get to and lose the Connacht final and opt out of the final round of qualifiers.

There are so many reasons their inclusion doesn't make sense; is there a case to be made for continuing their involvement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭flasher0030

So they try their hardest year on year, only to get hammered by 5 or 6 goals. And then when they come within touching distance of a memorable win, you want to pull the rug out from under them.

Why take it out on New York, just because they have improved - which is the whole point of playing the game. Let the GAA come up with some plan to put in place, in the event of a New York victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,004 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The NY game is nothing more than a challenge match that the folks in NY have a bit of fun in and around it each year.

There are freak years like this time when they almost pulled it off but the nature of the beast is that there is huge player turnover and thus inconsistencies that mean they cannot build on it from year to year.

Personally I think it should be scraped and replaced by some other type of NY based GAA event at another time in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How many of the current panel are illegal immigrants? I know it changes year on year but surely most guys going over these days are doing it the right way.

How many of the current panel are illegal immigrants? I know it changes year on year but surely most guys going over these days are doing it the right way.

I'd say a good few are, guys who might just be out short term etc.
    The panel changes so much from year to year anyway that the number will always fluctuate.

Back in 1999 when NY first played in Connacht they did so away, v Mayo in Castlebar, but the following year they played in NY and have done so ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

If anything i think they should rotate them around the provinces. Did i read that Roscommon raised €300k while over there? Why not move them around the provinces each year and give other counties a bit of that sweet sweet cash. If they are a cash cow then let the GAA use them as such and stop pretending they're apart of the Connacht championship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If they win and can't travel then the next game should be played there. If they win that and can't travel the next game should be played there. With some luck we could end up with the AI final being played in something like the NY Giants Stadium.

Would be some laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

DuffleBag wrote: »
    If anything i think they should rotate them around the provinces. Did i read that Roscommon raised €300k while over there? Why not move them around the provinces each year and give other counties a bit of that sweet sweet cash. If they are a cash cow then let the GAA use them as such and stop pretending they're apart of the Connacht championship.

300k?!!!! Do you have a link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

300k?!!!! Do you have a link to that?

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/roscommon-gaa-make-massive-profit-on-their-brief-trip-to-new-york/76984

While in New York, Roscommon GAA also announced that their new training centre in the county will be named in honour of the late Dermot Earley.

The late footballer's family were on the trip, and to aid in the development in Runnabracken, the county board has announced that the visit to New York raised in excess of €300,000.

roscm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Impressive fundraising, a lot of other counties like Donegal and Kerry always raise good money in the US through fundraisers as well. Hopefully some of the money goes to getting Hyde park up to standard so Roscommon can hold all their home games next year.

I can see NY getting stronger in the coming years with the increase in footballers wanting to take a years break to travel/work abroad and the option of a 1 year student visa to the US. They could beat Sligo or Leitrim over the coming years if they got a few more players over so the GAA really need to have a plan in place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Its been stated before that if someone loses to new York that the losing team doesn't enter the qualifiers. Their season is over.

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Its been stated before that if someone loses to new York that the losing team doesn't enter the qualifiers. Their season is over.
    Never heard that, do you have a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Everythng should be done to make sure that game contibues.It would be a complete kick in the teeth to the immigrant community to not play it as it's the symblism associated with it that is the important thing.

If it costs too much for the connacht teams to play them (as I read in an article in the last few days) then the GAA should pay all the expenses associated with it or they can be rotated around the provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭HanaleiJ5N

Everythng should be done to make sure that game contibues.It would be a complete kick in the teeth to the immigrant community to not play it as it's the symblism associated with it that is the important thing.

If it costs too much for the connacht teams to play them (as I read in an article in the last few days) then the GAA should pay all the expenses associated with it or they can be rotated around the provinces.

I think the immigrant community is not a good argument, there's a significant Irish immigrant population in Australia too but allowing an Australian team to enter the AI championship would be completely mental and logistically insane. An extreme example yes, but the point coming back to there is such a thing as too far away, and I believe New York crosses that line, London doesn't, they participate in league, they travel over regularly, they play home/away like any of the 32 counties.

I think the GAA need to take a serious look at New York, the simple fact of the matter is the current arrangement is contingent on New York losing the one game they play every year. I wouldn't rush to exclude them but the championship structure should treat them like any other team. There are lessons to be learned from the 2006 Ulster SHC, that too included New York contingent on them losing their one game every year and eventually they got up to standard and won a game, and what came after was a farce. The end result; New York hurling team haven't played since.

If the GAA had a bit of cop on they'd amend the structure to accommodate the event of a New York win. I remain skeptical of the claim that "if someone loses to new York that the losing team doesn't enter the qualifiers. Their season is over" until I see it written in the rules but such a "rule" wouldn't surprise me to be honest, but even if that was true, why should a team be punished like that for losing to NY? Would be a terrible rule if true.

Agree with your second point, the GAA can probably take a financial hit to include them in the championship, in the grand scheme of things it wouldn't hurt them that much. And the idea of rotating them around the provinces is an interesting one.

As it stands though, the GAA are on the verge of creating a problem, a few (relatively minor) tweaks are required and they need to be treated like a team that can win a game. As it stands, the GAA are setting themselves up for a fall just as they did with the NY hurlers in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Nonsense thread.

Dara O'Se had an interesting column on the race to get money for counties in NY

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Jayop wrote: »
    If they win and can't travel then the next game should be played there. If they win that and can't travel the next game should be played there. With some luck we could end up with the AI final being played in something like the NY Giants Stadium.

Would be some laugh.

So like Dublin then?

Impressive fundraising, a lot of other counties like Donegal and Kerry always raise good money in the US through fundraisers as well. Hopefully some of the money goes to getting Hyde park up to standard so Roscommon can hold all their home games next year.

I can see NY getting stronger in the coming years with the increase in footballers wanting to take a years break to travel/work abroad and the option of a 1 year student visa to the US. They could beat Sligo or Leitrim over the coming years if they got a few more players over so the GAA really need to have a plan in place

NY will never be strong.
    Its impossible to put a long to medium term plan in place for a squad because of so may factors, people coming and going, lack of facilities, other commitments like work etc, the size of the city.

At best they will do like they did this year, give someone a scare.

Advertisement