Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What funny/incorrect ideas did you have about the world when you were a kid?

• 14-06-2015 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I hope this thread is in the right section! :)

I was just wondering if anybody else used to have funny ideas/fears about the world when they were kids...ideas which seemed to make perfect sense as a child, but which make us laugh now?

For instance, I used to think the following, as a small child:

* Life was actually in black & white, a hundred years ago
    * My dad, who has a beard, was born with the beard, and had it all through childhood
    * If I went to the toilet unaccompanied, wolves would come up from the toilet bowl and bite me, and drag me down into the toilet pipes, where I'd be trapped for the rest of my life as the wolves took bites out of me

I'm just curious to know if I'm the only one, or did anyone else used to think crazy stuff like this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

It took me waaaaay too long to work out how gravity works. I couldn't understand why I couldn't hook my hands under my knees and carry myself around the place :) Many, many bruises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭semionova

Once when my brother was young and he woke up early while it was still dark he opened the curtains and went ' Ugh they forgot to switch the lights on!' :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I thought 'gayness' only came into existence in like the 70s.

I assumed they had statues to Hitler in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Astrolabe

Haha cool!

I also thought that, you know when you're driving and you see little memorial plaques on the roadside, comemorating people who have died in accidents? I thought that they actually just buried the person there and then, and that those were their actual gravestones :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I have also just remembered that I used to thing RIP stood for ripped into pieces. I remember visiting a graveyard and being terrified because so many people had been murdered. Thankfully someone explained it to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Fir3Fly1995

When I was first getting on a plane I thought it instantly got bright. Either the lights had just been turned on or I fell a sleep. Either that or it was a dream. And another time I thought planes flapped their wings like a bird. Lol. I was a very uneducated child back then. Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Pumpkin PJs Fan No.9

I believed my family were the only people on the planet that had ever heard of the concept of "scrambled eggs"...

"I'm an Awesome Pumpkin!"

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I.thought you grew up and then got small again as you got older (my granny was tiny).

I thought your teeth fell out as an adult. Every adult I knew had false teeth or no teeth!

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

If I held any part of my body outside the blanket when going to sleep, the bogeyman would grab that body-part and take me away....

This theory has unfortunately stayed with me slightly

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭SQ2

I thought it may actually be possible that our car didn't move, but the world moved instead!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

When I first became aware of the birds and the bees I imagined mummy and daddy being taken into hospital to 'do it' whilst surrounded by nurses and doctors assisting in some way. In full uniform of course - I wasn't that imaginative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭thegreatgonzo

I thought Bangladesh was somewhere in Roscommon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I thought gay men automatically got aids during sex, and did it anyway because they were uneducated about the consequences.

Similar for heroin addicts. How could anyone take the first hit knowing they were going to get hooked, all addicts had just not met an addict before their first time.

Thought my dad owned the multinational he worked for.

Thought the Americans were the good guys of the world, who selflessly looked after weak countries. Still a bit upset over that disappointment..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

I thought that if I could get my hands on £20, that'd do me forever money wise

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

When I was very small, and couldn't see high, I didn't realise that all moving cars had a driver in them: I thought that maybe they went around on their own, like noisy black animals. It took several years before I completely believed that every moving car had a person in it!
    And I used to think that the moon moved along with me: when I looked at the moon, and ran along the street, the moon moved with me.
    I still think this - try it yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I used to believe that there was a band of really small people in radios who played like as in a concert and that was what the listeners heard.

I remember trying to dissect the practicalities of it and getting stuck on how do they get food?

I went to an adult for clarity on that part of the story and they set me straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mcbumhole

One of my friends, who had an older brother and was the source of much of my information growing up told me that a gay was a man who loved a man, a lesbian was a woman who loved a woman and a condom was an animal that loved an animal

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I though everyone in our estate had the address 54 Castle Park, and we were just very lucky that we ACTUALLY lived at number 54.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭AvyStreet

I thought that houses cost probably a few hundred, maybe a thousand.

If only.

That was a disappointing day when the oldies simultaneously skuppered my plans for a life of adventure and laughed me out of the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

I thought the tooth fairy was The Statue of Liberty and the Easter Bunny was an actual giant rabbit that looked like the pretty one from the cadburys caramel advert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I used to believe that there was a band of really small people in radios who played like as in a concert and that was what the listeners heard.

............Sorry, this is just too weird. I used to think the exact same thing when I was a wee lad.

That's me for the day, so. Nothing will get weirder than this for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

For many years I thought my belly button was really a screw.
    My dad told me"if I turned it to the left my arse would fall off".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Xenophile

That I was never going to die. Even when everyone else in the world was dead, I would still be alive, all on my own sitting on the upper floor of a double decker bus.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

I thought women didn't poo. Girls did, but not women.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

I used to think that we all had a certain amount of breaths and when they were used we'd die. So I used to hold my breath for as long as I could, thinking I was saving that breath, so i'd live longer!
    I spose I was kinda right....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Astrolabe wrote: »
    Haha cool!

I also thought that, you know when you're driving and you see little memorial plaques on the roadside, comemorating people who have died in accidents? I thought that they actually just buried the person there and then, and that those were their actual gravestones :O

I thought the same thing for a couple of years when I first came here in 2004. Since I never saw that kind of thing back in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

AvyStreet wrote: »
    I thought that houses cost probably a few hundred, maybe a thousand.

If only.

Might not have been a funny/incorrect idea if you were a kid in the 40's or 50's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 20 Greys0n

why i can't smell the food on tv?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Mindset

Interflora blew my mind, how did they get the flowers to travel so well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Mindset

dvae wrote: »
    For many years I thought my belly button was really a screw.
    My dad told me"if I turned it to the left my arse would fall off".

Your dads awesome, i'm going to use that on my little one. lol

Advertisement