Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I've SWITCHed! - General discussion - WARNING IN POST 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭conormario

Couple of questions:

Is it possible to play local Mario kart with multiple switches connected to multiple TV / monitors (docked). I.e. full screen for each player?

Does Tate mode work in docked mode. Eg if I have a monitor that swivels 90 degrees will games that support Tate mode appear vertical on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Bit of a dim question but is there a specific memory card that needs to be used for the switch or will any of the standard ones be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

It looks like the missus is getting me a switch for xmas,so im sure this has been asked a thousand times,but what are the games ye would class as essential for it,ill play any genre really..

Thanks..

Mari Kart so the two of ye can play. I'm loving Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario Odyssey was my favorite Switch game so definitely those two as well.

Overwatch plays well on it, Octopath is enjoyable. Cuphead is challenging but very rewarding.

Mundo7976 wrote: »
    Bit of a dim question but is there a specific memory card that needs to be used for the switch or will any of the standard ones be ok?

Nothing special, switch only does up to a certain transfer rate, so AFAIK something like class 10, uhs 1 is plenty. Plus they are cheap now so go for a reliable branded one I guess.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/11/guide_best_nintendo_switch_micro_sd_cards_for_2019

I got this one, 128 GB is enough for me because I mostly go for physical carts.

SanDisk Ultra 128 GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adapter with A1 App Performance Up to 100 MB/s, Class 10, U1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073JYC4XM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Sound. Cheers for that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

conormario wrote: »
    Couple of questions:

Is it possible to play local Mario kart with multiple switches connected to multiple TV / monitors (docked). I.e. full screen for each player?

Does Tate mode work in docked mode. Eg if I have a monitor that swivels 90 degrees will games that support Tate mode appear vertical on it?

Yes to TATE mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

If your looking for a few cheaper games Undertale Night in the woods and Stardew Valley are great. Ive played over 100 hours in Stardew alone!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thumper scared the sh1te out of me, so intense!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Mari Kart so the two of ye can play. I'm loving Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario Odyssey was my favorite Switch game so definitely those two as well.

Overwatch plays well on it, Octopath is enjoyable. Cuphead is challenging but very rewarding.

Octopath looks stunning alright,ive Cuphead on the pc,thats great too..

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

sweetie wrote: »
    Hollow Knight and Celeste are two essential platformers

Played both of them on the ps4 but i reckon ill double dip on Hollow Night as its a perfect on the go game..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Octopath looks stunning alright,ive Cuphead on the pc,thats great too..

Cuphead is perfect for the Switch. Really good to pick up and play for short blasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hatch8harry

Into the Breach is another exceptional "On the Go" game. Up there with Hollow Knight and Celeste for me. Great game to play undocked whilst watching tv.

Into the Breach is another exceptional "On the Go" game. Up there with Hollow Knight and Celeste for me. Great game to play undocked whilst watching tv.

I'd add Steamworld Heist to that list too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Anyone any suggestions for some problems I'm having with my left console? It sometimes acts as if it's stuck in the 'up' mode so if you go into 'options' it will constantly scroll up (or sometimes down). It doesn't seem to impact on gameplay but it is very annoying.

Good to know. Really enjoyed the two "Dig" games. I purchased Heist on a recent sale but haven't managed to play it yet. On the dreaded backlog...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Recently got a switch lite. Managed to pick up BOTW but am also looking for some smaller pick up and play games. Seems like there is lots of suggestions above. Do these games go on sale often? Anyone for any recommendations on the latest sale, is torchlight 2 worth it?

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Recently got a switch lite. Managed to pick up BOTW but am also looking for some smaller pick up and play games. Seems like there is lots of suggestions above. Do these games go on sale often? Anyone for any recommendations on the latest sale, is torchlight 2 worth it?

I'd expect all of the above to go on sale between now and/during xmas on the eshop. For the last two Christmas's, there has been pretty good discounts on the majority of the top indie games on the eshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Is the bridge any good does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Suckit wrote: »

There's a free demo in the eShop, I tried it, didn't like it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Achasanai wrote: »
    Anyone any suggestions for some problems I'm having with my left console? It sometimes acts as if it's stuck in the 'up' mode so if you go into 'options' it will constantly scroll up (or sometimes down). It doesn't seem to impact on gameplay but it is very annoying.

Had the exact same situation which unfortunately only deteriorated to the point it is now unusable. Tried the recommended recalibrations, etc. but am now just going to have to replace it.

• Advertisement

Xofpod wrote: »
    Had the exact same situation which unfortunately only deteriorated to the point it is now unusable. Tried the recommended recalibrations, etc. but am now just going to have to replace it.

Sorry, I presume you're talking about the left joy-con?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Suckit wrote: »

I played through it on PC and quite liked it, but then I like that sort of puzzle game. If you've played any of The Room games or And Yet It Moves, you can expect something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Getting three lites for the kids and just wondering what the best cheap local wireless games are out there?
    Also, are there any one-cart local wireless games like there was on the 3ds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

Xofpod wrote: »
    Sorry, I presume you're talking about the left joy-con?

Yeah, it's the left-hand one! Is it common enough that you knew that? It's so odd that it is only occasionally an issue, usually on menu pages, but that it doesn't really effect gameplay (or maybe I'm just not that good).

Looks like I'll be replacing mine too when I have the cash.

smokingman wrote: »
    Getting three lites for the kids and just wondering what the best cheap local wireless games are out there?
    Also, are there any one-cart local wireless games like there was on the 3ds?

AFAIK The good stuff like Mario kart 8 DX require a cartridge or download for each switch which is Nintendo being complete rip of merchants. They should at least allow single cartridge multiple local switches for eg a small selection of tracks.

I think you'd be better off getting 1 normal switch that you can connect to a large TV then they can play multiplayer split screen. With the money you save you could buy more AAA multiplayer games or even a second switch to share for single player etc ....

Achasanai wrote: »
    Yeah, it's the left-hand one! Is it common enough that you knew that? It's so odd that it is only occasionally an issue, usually on menu pages, but that it doesn't really effect gameplay (or maybe I'm just not that good).

Looks like I'll be replacing mine too when I have the cash.

Just bit the bullet and replaced mine. Had become unplayable.
    Very common problem with the left joycon I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Want to get a new game for the little one (8yrs old) for Christmas - undecided between Pokémon and Links Awakening.

Is 8 a bit young for Pokemon? I've seen that the fanbase are unhappy with the games too, is that all overblown or are the games actually bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Cianos wrote: »
    Want to get a new game for the little one (8yrs old) for Christmas - undecided between Pokémon and Links Awakening.

Is 8 a bit young for Pokemon? I've seen that the fanbase are unhappy with the games too, is that all overblown or are the games actually bad?

ive read that the games arent bad just the fan base is unhappy with sword and shield. but if you have any doubts maybe you could try pokemon lets go evee or pickachu. failing that just go with links awakening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Cianos wrote: »
    Want to get a new game for the little one (8yrs old) for Christmas - undecided between Pokn and Links Awakening.

Luigi's Mansion 3? About the same difficulty level as LA and great fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

sweetie wrote: »
    Luigi's Mansion 3? About the same difficulty level as LA and great fun.

Showed her the trailer and she said it's too scary!

Advertisement