Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Super Smash Brothers Ultimate

Comments

chrislad wrote: »
    You'll have fun unlocking all the characters and most of the Path of Light mode, though the latter has a LOT of content (which is the cause of the aforementioned burnout) - I think I'm going to get back into it, pick one character and go through the hard modes and learn that character inside out!

Yeah, Path of Light started as great fun, then became a bit of a slog. Eventually just became a chore. Three times as long as it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yeah, Path of Light started as great fun, then became a bit of a slog. Eventually just became a chore. Three times as long as it needs to be.

I think the problem is that it doesn't encourage new fighters, just change your spirits on your existing fighter to suit the challenge. I ended up just using Bowser and spamming mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Arrived today so just having first few matches now. Pretty much clueless and was bashing A and B but realised I better off sticking with A for attacks mostly. Had a few challengers but only won 2 of maybe 5 and missed out on Bowser.

Just doing random matches with CPU opponents, is that a good place to start or is there something else I should be doing. Presume you get challengers in all modes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

skerry wrote: »
    Arrived today so just having first few matches now. Pretty much clueless and was bashing A and B but realised I better off sticking with A for attacks mostly. Had a few challengers but only won 2 of maybe 5 and missed out on Bowser.

Just doing random matches with CPU opponents, is that a good place to start or is there something else I should be doing. Presume you get challengers in all modes?

Quickest way to unlock characters is through Classic mode. A few hours and you'll have them all unlocked. Good way to practice with different characters too.

Quickest way to unlock characters is through Classic mode. A few hours and you'll have them all unlocked. Good way to practice with different characters too.

Cool, I'll have a look at that tomorrow evening so. Got a couple more unlocked through World of Light there just cheesing it with Kirby.

Enjoyable so far, can't remember the last time I spend a couple of hours playing a fighting game solo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

Cool, I'll have a look at that tomorrow evening so. Got a couple more unlocked through World of Light there just cheesing it with Kirby.

Enjoyable so far, can't remember the last time I spend a couple of hours playing a fighting game solo.

Same. I will eventually finish world of light. But i mainly use this game for when friends call over now. 4 player is mayhem and i love it.

This is wortha read. talks about moving "jump" to a trigger button (and optionally turning off left joystick jump) and using the right joystick for tilt attacks. Helped me a lot.
    These two control changes will make you much better at Smash Bros. Ultimate

A lot more in-depth here:

This is wortha read. talks about moving "jump" to a trigger button (and optionally turning off left joystick jump) and using the right joystick for tilt attacks. Helped me a lot.
    These two control changes will make you much better at Smash Bros. Ultimate

A lot more in-depth here:

Excellent, thanks for that. I did find the default placement of the jump buttons very hard to get to grips with and kept pressing A and B accidentally as that where jump would normally be for me in a game.

Might try remap per that article and see how I go before I get used to default layout. Had read up on tilt attacks and that yesterday but doesn't make much sense until you perform a few.

Doesn't look like there's a lot of variety to the combat at first glance but its amazing what they can do with only a few buttons when you compare it to the likes of the Streetfighter where special moves can be very hard to pull off and things seem a lot more complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,984 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Join Super Smash Bros Ultimate Director Masahiro Sakurai on 7/30 at 6am PT in a video presentation featuring an in-depth look at upcoming DLC Fighter, Hero from the Dragon Quest series! Alongside new details, he’ll be revealing when the fighter will arrive. Be sure to tune in!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Forgot about the update but here's the video

Or for those who don't like to read

Hero available now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Forgot about the update but here's the video

Jaysus - he's fairly heavy on the auld make up there.....

MORE EVIDENCE POINTS TO TERRY BOGARD’S RELEASE IN SUPER SMASH BROS. ULTIMATE ON NOVEMBER 1

https://nintendosoup.com/more-evidence-points-to-terry-bogards-release-in-super-smash-bros-ultimate-on-november-1/

They speculate that the video could be Terry's launch trailer. I don't think that it is though, that private video was added about a week ago. I remember talking about it on Discord at the time. I think it's the trailer for the next fighter. Hopefully it's someone interesting because apart from Banjo & Kazooie, the DLC has been very underwhelming(Piranha Plant, Joker, Hero and Terry).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Terry Bogard will be fully revealed in a 45 minute livestream on Wednesday 6th Nov at 1pm Irish time.

https://twitter.com/NintendoVS/status/1191520592719036416?s=19

Nintendo have confirmed that there will be no new fighter will be revealed during the presentation. But it’s 45 minutes long, surely it can't be just on Terry, that would be a complete snorefest. There's bound to be new Mii costumes shown. There was a supposed leak of Mallow from Super Mario RPG and the Cacodemon from DOOM yesterday, though the source is 4chan, so you know what that can mean.
    1572848718133.png

Still that's not enough content to fill up 45 minutes. Maybe they'll show off new stages or a new mode, though I thought the Home Run Contest was supposed to be the last.

Looking at the length of previous Fighter Pack DLC presentations:

Joker - 15:28(though that wasn't presented by Sakurai)
    Hero - 21:34
    Banjo & Kazooie - 25:14

This is far longer than those, so there has to be more than just a focus on Terry.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Battling with Terry Bogard (Nintendo Switch)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1nHrapfLbpY

Edit: The live link doesn't work now. Here's the presentation in full.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iqc1i1E_qKQ

I've been trying to think what could they show here today that makes this presentation at least 20 minutes longer than for the previous DLC fighters. They might make use of the accessories from Ring Fit Adventure.

I didn't think they would make this 45 minute presentation just about Terry. How wrong I was. Well 2 minutes of Mii Fighter costumes now of mostly obscure characters. A snoozefest. Zzz ��

Literally Sakurai's last words of the just shy of 50 minute presentation on Terry "Boring" Bogard.

EIsdfHCXsAEIoOj?format=jpg&name=large

I hope so too. I was waiting for a surprise that was never there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sakurai's love for the SNK era and Fatal Fury is great. It was billed as a character announcement and detailed run through and that's what we got. Nintendo also announced in advance that there would be no mention of any future DLC characters. I personally love the Neo-Geo/SNK era and found it good watching.

• Advertisement

I found it interesting to watch Sakurai's body language as soon as it came to talking about the omission of Mai Shiranui and immediately after.

(Folded arms) "By the way, you may have noticed that a very important character from the FATAL FURY series was not included. Yes, Mai Shiranui."

(Clasped hands) "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is for good boys and girls of many different ages, so we decided not to feature her. Please forgive us." (Then relaxes)
    EItgjc5W4AA6pdK?format=jpg&name=large

He immediately folds his arms in a defensive position, then clasps his hands nervously as he explains in a roundabout way why she doesn't feature. Once that bit is over, he kind of steeples his fingers as he regains his confidence.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iqc1i1E_qKQ&t=1654s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

Guessing we’ll find out DLC5 if there’s a Direct in early Jan?

Or maybe at The Game Awards, 13th December is when they're on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,790 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems Mai's omission wasn't completely Nintendo's decision. I was reading if they had put Mai in, their age rating would've been increased in Japan.

https://twitter.com/JamesPopStar/status/1192262821653778432

Ya, I heard he mentioned CERO in the presentation but it was picked up by the translator.

On Thursday January 16th at 14:00 (UK time), join Super Smash Bros. Ultimate director Masahiro Sakurai for a roughly 35 minute-long livestream featuring an in-depth look at an upcoming DLC fighter! The fighter will be unveiled in the video.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – Battling with ??? (Nintendo Switch)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Of-ck7EOfYE

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Seems most people on twitter are expecting Dante from Devil May Cry to be the final character of this expansion pass. No leak, it's speculated on a nearly 2 week old tweet from the official DMC account.

https://twitter.com/DevilMayCry/status/1214686995588341760?s=19

ERG89 wrote: »
    Seems most people on twitter are expecting Dante from Devil May Cry to be the final character of this expansion pass. No leak, it's speculated on a nearly 2 week old tweet from the official DMC account.

https://twitter.com/DevilMayCry/status/1214686995588341760?s=19

The announcement for today was already revealed, let me find the Tweet.

I hope it's still not Dante. And as an aside, Capcom continue giving the middle finger to Switch owners.

DEVIL MAY CRY 3 SPECIAL EDITION WON'T BE RECEIVING A PHYSICAL SWITCH RELEASE

https://gonintendo.com/stories/352840-devil-may-cry-3-special-edition-won-t-be-receiving-a-physical-swi

Any last second predictions? Mine, disappointment, given all the other DLC. I think it could be a gen 8 Pokemon or a character from Fire Emblem Three Houses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

sligeach wrote: »
    Any last second predictions? Mine, disappointment, given all the other DLC. I think it could be a gen 8 Pokemon or a character from Fire Emblem Three Houses.

:pac:

Good prediction.

Advertisement